Texture Help

phazer11

Hey all. I'm working on my final project for my 3D Modeling and Animation class and need help sourcing some better textures.

If I'd known what the project was I'd have been working on it but we just got the thing last week and it's due week after next and I'm currently swamped so not much time to do something from scratch. Each member of the group has to do their own piece and combine it into a larger whole. Everyone else out voted me so we're doing something complicated and we're taking pieces we've done over the semester and fitting them together. Therefore I'm repurposing a project I did earlier in the semester but it needs better textures.

The project I'm going to polish up is a model of our local solar system minus most of the moons. I have pretty good textures for Jupiter, Saturn, Saturn's Rings, decent textures for Earth and Earth's moon and an alright texture of a starfield (has issues with a white blobby seam where the left and the right of the image I used meet). Going to animate the planets a bit and add in a spaceship of some kind. Also going to add in some animated credits for the group I'm in.

Here are all of the textures I have for the planets and the sun. Several NASA stock but not all.

https://copy.com/uJwyjwGYaJoTDX18

This is the starfield I'm using.

https://copy.com/gUhb3ziPbSEMJQhD

Noise would work well for surfaces of the planets. Perlin noise most likely, especially for gass giants. You could do various sphere layers with alpha transparency and have them rotate over each other so they look more alive. It depends if the planets will be far away props or will you travel up to them? If it has to be close-up it obviously needs more detail. I'll check the Maya file soon; just been shattered the last few days.

Edited by Guest

Thanks, anything you can come up with or play with would be appreciated. If I'd had more time this could have been awesome instead of mediocre. I'll see if I can do something with the gas giants. Not sure I have time to animate multiple spheres on top of each other properly along with all the camera work required for the fly by and credits it is due Monday and isn't the only thing due around then.

Here is a new UFO that took around 15 minutes because I can't really spend much time at the moment:

UFO.zip

I can't save your scene as I'm on 2016, but it should be in the exact position of your old UFO. You need to reduce the starfield density as it will increase render time a lot. I have given you a texture you can tweak the colours of and a normal map which you can import and apply. Don't forget to change it to tangant space in the drop-down on import. Try changing the material from lambert to phong too as it will look more shiny. I'm not sure if that is what you wanted, but if no one has a texture yet, that should help you.

Edited by Guest

It is not liking that .dae file man keeps throwing up errors. 

Reading or writing file. - While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised. Warning: The transform of node "Improved_UFO_Edited" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS. Warning: The transform of node "Alien_Spaceship_Improved1_Alien_Spaceship_Improved1_NEW" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

Thanks though it looks good. Guess I'll just have to figure something out for the one currently in there. I HATE groups.

There are really many many good suggestions our the web for doing planet textures in general. Some of the more amusing I have seen are people that have taken pictures of their dirty frying pans and applied a few basic filters on top and they looked just like some of Jupiter's moons. 

From what little I did myself in that regard you can actually use just about everything for a planet as long as you are good at making the texture spherical and blend the edges. As I recall Adobe after effects have some really nice tailor made tools for dealing with that sort of transformations. You can also do it in GIMP.. but man it is a chore! 

Sorry for not seeing this earlier... getting lazy n older n stuff! :)