NVAC - New Vegas Anti Crash using with Skyrim

darkside

Question

7 answers to this question

Why would one use this for Skyrim?

Skyrim is significantly different from the older game engines which could cause more harm than potential good.

Another point is why do you need any sort of anti-crash when Skyrim crashes are now known and fixable?

Typically when I mess around with mods, I found that 100% of my crashes are from errors in a plugin, ENBlocal.ini disappeared and/or mem tweaks were maxed. All of which are easily resolvable by fixing the errors, reloading the ENB in ENBman or raising block1.

NVAC's best feature is that you don't know it's working. It handles exceptions thrown by the game that would normally cause crashes. For Skyrim the list of specific exceptions that are handled is very small, but those exceptions are some of the more common errors that Skyrim throws. Also, NVAC has some built in heuristics to handle types of exceptions that you may encounter.

In my experience it works fine for Skyrim. I was having a reproducible crash in the marsh east of Solitude when I would look back toward the docks. NVAC fixed that crash for me. Then the same was happening in a playthrough I did a while back where I was playing Falskaar. I didn't realize that NVAC wasn't installed, so after adding it I stopped having a crash that was popping up near some cave at the south of the map.