Ram/VRam 3.1 limit?

DecayWolf

Question

I'll try to be short, I've installed almost all most outhere at 4k, in a matter of minutes or seconds depending of which area I was, the game freezed or simply CTD.

So I've decreased all textures to 2k, I 'haven't' got any problem till now, but my usage of ram is still pretty high.

I did a quick test, being player.setav speedmult 1000 + tcl

When I was flying on the sky I've used only 1.2 to 1.6gb of ram.

On the land I was using 2 to 2gb ram.

However without any console command by just playing the game, loading the houses, I've reached 2.8 to 2.9gb on Morthal then I've reload to make my ram stable again. (I'm using alternative start, haven't got into another areas yet.)

However, it seems that vram follow the amount of ram being used on almost 1:1 ratio, that means that I won't be abled to use my 100% since skyrim is abled to support up to 3.1 only. In fact I didn't managed to use more than 3.2gb of vram, which is about only 80% of my total.

So, knowing the skyrim limit and I can reach 2.8+ by just normaly playing, my questions are:

How can I use more vram and reach something closer than the total 100% or at least improve this ratio of ram/vram 1:1?

There's another solution to either increase skyrim total ram, or decrease the amount used even further? 

I'll quote my ENBoost settings, below, but in short I am using 256mb reserved video memory, and set memory limitation as 10240 since it's the maximum value.

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=10240
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=true
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=false
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false

[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

Edited by DecayWolf

12 answers to this question

I've posted my ENboost config above, I also use SSME even if it doesn't apply to my problem since it's not a module size issue, but ram raw instead.

Could you please tell me which setting would increase the size of 3.1 of ram? Because this information simply doesn't exist on internet.

i5 4690k

sli gtx 970 msi  (only using one atm, the other is stored in the box, and no the sli isn't active.)

16gb ram

I've capped skyrim at 60fps, either way it wasn't capped before and it doesn't make any difference.

Every time when I reach 3.1 or 3.050mb+ of ram, the game will drop from my 60 fps to 1 - 14 fps then freeze after a couple seconds.

However if I never reach those 3.1 ram, I'll never have any problem at all.

I've tried 4k mods eariler, places that doesn't require so much ram and it keeps under 3.1gb ram, my system can run smoothly at 60fps easily, actually either my cpu or gpu have a free room to go.

I actually did a battle against 7 enemies with 4k mods installed at 60fps stabled, the problem however are areas that require more ram, I've a lot texture mods installed. All decreased to 2k now, the results are posted on my first post.

No, I was using skyrim monitor. I am using MinimalENB For Purity since I use purity.

As for installation, I've used this tutorial ->

It's a really good one, since I've followed every step, I guess ENB is working, at least it's using up to 3.2gb of vram, something that wasn't happening before. (about 700 - 800 in vanilla, if I am not wrong.)

__

I'm still searching, I discovered the name of my problem The Large Address Aware fix (LAA) or simply put, "memory leak," most guides with 'patches to increase skyrim memory leak,' doesn't exist anymore since bathesda did ehance those 2gb originally released to 3.1gb, however as far as I know, a 32bits system can use up to 4gb, so why did they remove the patches? No idea really.

Anyways, I'm still reading and searching, it seems that I'll have either to optimize the texture files or decrease my UGridsToLoad to 3 and uExterior Cell Buffer to 16, however I believe it will look really weird if I decrease my ugrid. Why Bathesda have to do things half way done? Why not go to the fully 4gb compatibility?

Edited by DecayWolf

It sounds like you are getting some misinformation.

ENB should have a message at Skyrim's startup at the top left-hand side of the screen in either red or yellow letters. If you don't get that, ENB is not installed correctly.

The LAA patches are no longer necessary, as Bethesda's official update added it. It is already LAA aware.

uGridsToLoad minimum setting is 5 in Skyrim. It is impossible to set it to 3, as it will automatically round it up to 5. See here.

What we need to do is make sure that ENB is working. It sounds like it's not.

Omg, you're right, I did install incorrectly. Instead of copy inside skyrim folder, I've copied inside skyrim's data folder... Facepalm.

I haven' tried with my last save, because I kind lost it.

However I loaded with one older completely vanilla save, I've less mods active now, however almost all texture mods are on, and it was using only 500mb ram, pretty low. Also it was using 2gb of vram a 1:4 ratio, which never happened before.

One last question if you don't mind... Which is the enbpreset which has the best realistic looking in your opinion?

I think that realistic vision has extremely over saturated colours, however I think there's an option to turn them off.

Edited by DecayWolf