Star Citizen in a must watch 13 minute nutshell

redirishlord

If I hated that EVE MMO will I like this? Is this like No Man's Sky and Star Wars taped together? I can't find a quick rundown that I understand on the web.  

Sorry I missed your post. I didn't care for EVE as it seemed perfectly happy to progress without need for my input, just let the various timers run & collect rewards upon completion. Star Citizen is a sim in the fps & flight simulator sense of the word. There are many other occupations to pursue if you want; mining, trading, farming, astronomy, medicine, overclocking ship components, etc. All of which require your direct participation through mini-game type mechanics or something similar, you must perform actions through your interface (mouse & keyboard, game controller or HOTAS) no timer-based/level based element exists (not an "rpg" style mechanic, although role-playing is still a thing as much as you want it to be).

tl;dr

More Skyrim, less WoW.

The 8 km AC area is a CryEngine 32 bit thing (if I understood correctly), the new play area using double precision will be 100,000 km or so radius (review that 2 hour video or check the last 10FTC for the topic "coordinates"). As far as production time, it is what is, but keep in mind that includes 10 hours or so of mocapped acting from Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill & many others plus conversion of CryEngine to 64 bit addressing etc. etc.

I'm confident they aren't wasting any time & it will be worth the wait. Since you can get a copy of the whole thing for $35.00 usd or so, I'd call it a bargain however long it takes.

I'd want them to focus on making the flight model more interesting and figuring out how to make HOTAS actually usable in game - rather than getting some celebrities to dub the characters :/

Luckily for AC2.0 we'll be hopefully getting a bit of an open world to fly in... 

As for the behind the scenes stuff - I'm not really that interested. Like I said - I bought it because it costed me next to nothing, so I thought I'll give it a go. I will probably read and watch more as they near the release time or at least have a substancial beta to look at. I have Elite: Dangerous for my space sim fix - there is nothing for me in SC at this stage. 

Sorry I missed your post. I didn't care for EVE as it seemed perfectly happy to progress without need for my input, just let the various timers run & collect rewards upon completion. Star Citizen is a sim in the fps & flight simulator sense of the word. There are many other occupations to pursue if you want; mining, trading, farming, astronomy, medicine, overclocking ship components, etc. All of which require your direct participation through mini-game type mechanics or something similar, you must perform actions through your interface (mouse & keyboard, game controller or HOTAS) no timer-based/level based element exists (not an "rpg" style mechanic, although role-playing is still a thing as much as you want it to be).

tl;dr

More Skyrim, less WoW.

I like when people describe SC as "is a game / is so much to do" :) 

No, it's not a game, no, there's nothing to do in it now. "Will be" is the phrase you want to use and perhaps prefix it with "Hopefully" ;)

The mocap shoot is for the single player game, which was the original kickstarter goal, and the voice actors are fulfillment of a stretch goal the community wanted.

As for the flight model, it's a true newtonian physics fly by wire flight sim - just what the community ordered. HOTAS is fully supported now, and Saitek has partnered with CIG to make a Star Citizen specific modular HOTAS (with trackballs instead of "hats" for more precise gimballed weapon accuracy).

Finally the game is pre-alpha stage, so work in progress, but just like it doesn't make sense to say there's nothing to do in Fallout 4 because it hasn't been released I answer questions related to Star Citizen game play by referring to the features expected at final release (some time in 2016). The list of expected features, and the approach to various play types is encouraging. From the progress updates so far I see no reason to predict failure, I'm looking forward to successful delivery - it should be fun to play when its finished.

Ah, OK - I wasn't aware that these were the stretch goals and promised features. Fair enough then.

Flight model may be Newtonian, but it's not very fun to play, it turns the game into "turrets in space", where you just strafe around. Sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for gameplay fun and SC flight model is missing that. In comparison to Elite (I keep bringing it up, but this is the only similar modern game that I played), where the yaw is very slow, SC is simply boring - because it's TOO realistic IMHO.

As for the HOTAS - yes, I know it will be possible to use one in game, however due to the fact how aiming works mouse will always be a controller of choice, because it's simply better, faster and more accurate. It just feels like FPS in space. You don't move your ship to aim, you move the guns themselves, just like in an FPS game. HOTAS users will ALWAYS be disadvantaged in this model.

And lastly - be reasonable mate. You can't compare Fallout 4 that is a pretty much finished game with a set release date (in which case you can say: in Fallout you CAN DO A, B and C) to Star Citizen, which like you say is pre-alpha and majority of the features are missing, are in development or just planned for now, not even started on (what we really have is, and what you CAN DO in SC is: flight model, dogfighting, racing, clunky animations and a ground base where you can run around and dance... nothing more). How can you say "we CAN DO A, B and C", where A is playable but bugged, B is being designed and the progress is unknown and C has only been mentioned as a promised feature during KS campaign? (Insert whatever you want in A B and C).

Please, can you show me how can I do, let me quote you, "mining, trading, farming, astronomy, medicine, overclocking ship components". Show me a video or point me to the pre-alpha product where I can DO these things. 

Root: I will enlighten you 

Mining: Take a shovel... go to the nearest park, dig! 

Trading: Take a towel... go to the nearest park... profit! 

Farming: Take some seeds.... go to the nearest park... FOOD!(about the same time as SC will be released most likely!)

Astronomy: Take yourself.... go to the nearest park (because of the theme) and look up! 

medicine: Take yourself.... go to the nearest park and talk to the guy with the funky hair! 

Overclocking ship components.... hmmm okay you got me there.. but it will involve going to a park! 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You could always join the "Browncoats Organization" and celebrate Whedon's contributions to life the 'verse & everything with us. Oh yeah, Squadron 42 is a nod to Adams as well. SC is chuck full of that sort of thing, when the employees aren't making the game or playing D&D in the atrium they must sit around thinking of ways to poke holes in the 4th wall.

tl;dr

check it out, watch a few AtV episodes, you might like it.