Star Citizen in a must watch 13 minute nutshell

redirishlord

If I hated that EVE MMO will I like this? Is this like No Man's Sky and Star Wars taped together? I can't find a quick rundown that I understand on the web.  

• 1 month later...

Very interesting what will CIG present at Citizen Con. The recent drama with Escapist cause quite a chaos in the community. Robert's response to Escapist was plain shocking, ridiculous even... They have a lot to prove to the community now (apart from a certain number of the hard core believers who still happily throw money at them... ;) ).

Neither do I. 

I definitely want to play this game, but at the same time I invested peanuts in it and I have no emotional/nostalgia ties to it. If it fails... Meh, I'd lost 5 quid. It could actually be good for crowdfunding scene, as backers could become more aware and careful of what they're throwing their money at, which could in effect result in developers (and potentially other types of businesses) be more mindful of what they promise and how much money they want for their projects. 

*Shrug* See what happens... The whole thing is just entertainment really. Add Derek Smart to the equation and it becomes a good sitcom ;)

CitizenCon was awesome, 8 new videos released, check out the full live Con video for new ingame footage & more.

If you're thinking about becoming a Citizen, feel free to sign up using my referral code STAR-7TNP-46SY, you'll get 5000 in game credits (& help me get an in game fish tank, woot!).

Also, fly all the current ships fpr free until 25 October using code CITCONFLIGHT2K15.

See you in the 'verse,

Red

Edited by redirishlord
  • +1 1

Following the regular reports I'm of the opinion they are doing it right, sounds like most of the foundation has been laid, we should see some solid deliverables before the end of the year as a result. Once the 2.0 update is released ("soon") we'll have access to some serious real estate with a variety of things to do & places to go (see the CitizenCon Full video coverage for examples of that & a sneak peak into the single player mocap shoot).

I'm willing to wait for them to get it right.

You misunderstood. I'm all for taking it slowly and do things right, but how long had SC now been in production? And all they have to show for it is bugged invisible walls arena combat...

Maybe I have a different attitude because I've not invested a lot in it and I'm immune to their "best damn space sim ever" PR propaganda ;)

The 8 km AC area is a CryEngine 32 bit thing (if I understood correctly), the new play area using double precision will be 100,000 km or so radius (review that 2 hour video or check the last 10FTC for the topic "coordinates"). As far as production time, it is what is, but keep in mind that includes 10 hours or so of mocapped acting from Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill & many others plus conversion of CryEngine to 64 bit addressing etc. etc.

I'm confident they aren't wasting any time & it will be worth the wait. Since you can get a copy of the whole thing for $35.00 usd or so, I'd call it a bargain however long it takes.

If nothing else one can look forward to the inevitable behind the scenes documentary that will most likely be available at some time as well! It is going to be interesting to watch. I am sure there are going to be oh so many people who have worked on this project who would love to speak their mind, but cant because of NDA´s that are still in effect due to the project still being ongoing. 

Wonder how it would be to work on such a project. You would most likely have lots of frustrations at having to redo things, but at the same time get a lot of stuff to put on your resume for the future. If nothing else at least all of this money is going into some actual work, and not just into Robert´s bank account. So even if it all fails utterly, at least it will have helped generate a lot of people with a lot of knowhow on how to create next generation games. 

The website gives some insight into that behind the scenes drama, lots of video segments release weekly (10 for the [insert department here; developers/writers/artists/etc], or Meet the [insert new person from department here]) with interviews of various employees. Of course they are limit as you say by NDA, etc. but still interesting insight into game design (especially the art stuff from early on, and the Next Great Starship competition videos were interesting and got into a lot of art detail).