Star Citizen in a must watch 13 minute nutshell

redirishlord

Ah okay, is there anything else in the full game currently besides Arena Commander? Also apparently I have access to all flyable ships in the Arena Commander module. Which one is the best or should a noob use? :P

Sweet gonna give it a free whirl tonight.

np, I originally wasn't gonna bother posting it here cuz it seemed everyone here already had it, but glad I let someone else know too. (be warned it's 26GB, lol, my DL speed is maxing tho and it's 11mbps so it should be done soon for me)

Edited by SynthetikHD

All ships are viable, you'll find one that suits your flight style, the F7A Hornet is a good starting point (standard military fighter). Definitely try an Origin 300 series, that's my baby, but they all have their charms.

& happy flying new citizens, see you in the 'verse.

Cockpitmockup2_zpss6ruwssf.jpg~original

Edited by redirishlord

Thanks. I'll spend time with both of those then as I feel I'll be playing this game for the rest of today, lol, and if I really enjoy it I'll probably be sinking as much time into it as I can until the 19th. Also I know this game is considered basically the Crysis of this decade, and while I have a pretty nice pc, I shouldn't be expecting to play on ultra at 1080p without a $2k PC right?

And I was looking at some stuff about the game, and do you know if I should restart my download and install the game on my SSD? I saw some stuff about the load times being awful, so is it definitely worth it?

ARG!

Figures I'd find out about this ONLY after returning home to my 1950's telephone wire pretending to support a DSL connection!  

After spending considerable time on the site I must admit I'm feeling a lot more attraction and optimism for the project than I initially did.  It's got potential to the nth power.

ARG!

If only I had read your post before I uninstalled the game redirishlord. Oh well, I figured since the game is supposed to be really impressive, might as well make it as nice as possible with faster loading times/texture streaming, this will be the first game that has had the pleasure of being installed to my SSD. Seems I'll have downloaded a total of 50GB's in under two hours.....my condolences n0mad.  ::P:

I haven't tried Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, or EVE: Valkyrie, though I've heard of all of them and live in the US. Only reason I'm trying Star Citizen atm is because it's free. I'm not planning on buying any of them, at least not for a while, I would but money and stuff.

I know that Star Citizen by far has the most hype and popularity, but I know that doesn't mean it's the best of the 3. As I've said I haven't played any of them, but my understanding of them and why to play them is like this:

• Elite Dangerous: Most complete out of all of them atm, has the most polish on combat atm
  • Star Citizen: More or less a tech demo at this point though has been forming more and more into a game recently, has the most potential and in a few years will almost certainly be the best experience
  • EVE Valkyrie: Pretty much only reason choose this over the others is if you play EVE: Online, as you have a lot of incentive to do so

Edit/disclaimer:

My conceptions about the games may be wrong, though from what I've heard it's likely true.

Edit 2:

It seems that there's a bug where all new users can't play the tutorial and it hasn't been fixed yet.  :facepalm:

Edited by SynthetikHD

I don't know much about EVE, but I wouldn't say SC has most potential (not enough info, hard to claim things like that by alpha). I'd say that all ED and SC are just different games with different goals. Elite is more of a sim with scientific and very detailed simulation of Milky Way with real world data and 400 billion star systems, focusing on a pilot doing his own thing in a ship at the most basic level, but also allowing for political and social role playing (with player groups becoming factions and Powers in game) and a developing multi-layered story in game. 

Star Citizen seems to be - or is designed to be - a more arcade'y (casual?) space game with a fantasy hand crafted universe of 100 systems. Not much can be said I think until we'll see more fleshed out product. Not much is known about it and I think by saying "in a few years will almost certainly be the best experience" you're just a victim of the SC hype ;) Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to SC, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

No worries abou the missing tutorial, just open the menu & check your key bind options. You can play using mouse & keyboard, game control or HOTAS; all are equally valid. I'm using a trackball mouse & Razer game controller but my Saitek X52 works well too.

razernostromo_zpsda4a4799.jpg~original

Once you review your controls enter Arena Commander; select Drone Sim, Vanduul Swarm, pick one of two battlefields & any available ship, you're good to go. Once you feel confident you can try multiplayer if available in your demo.

* update; your most used keys are likely; throttle (+/-), target nearest foe, strafe (up/down/left/right), countermeasure (launch/cycle). There's much more detail than that but I suggest leaving power & shield micro-management for later. Most importantly remember flight is realistic not arcade: you have momentum & rocks will hurt you, catastrophically!

Edited by redirishlord

I guess the reason I think that SC will be the best space sim in a few years is mostly because of the whole almost making 100 million dollars thing. So I guess they have the potential to be the best, simply because of their massive budget. But Elite Dangerous also sounds pretty cool, hopefully I'll catch it during a free Steam weekend if they do one.

No worries about the missing tutorial

Well I tried just playing from looking at the hotkeys and it did not work out well, at all. I tried a bot game and online match and was pretty clueless, so I'll just check tomorrow and see if it's fixed and if anyone else is still having the same bug.

Well, the whole "SC the best space sim ever" is the product of the hype and PR (their marketing team deserves gold medals, truly!). I don't see ED and SC as a competition - I see them as 2 games with different aims and goals that can be both masterpieces in their own right. ED for more realistic and sim stuff and SC for more action based fun. But we'll see when (if! ;) ) it comes out. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'd also encourage you to check ED mate, it's a great game.

@ Rootsrat: ED is probably good enough to deserve it's own thread. Also SC is a very realistic dogfighting/fps/econimic simulation, not an "arcadey" game, I was hoping to showcase those features when i started this thread but I think there are getting buried under speculation from folks who haven't actually played SC. I'm smiling as I type this and just trying to share the SC love :-)

Once again. Kudos for your enthusiam for SC redirishlord! It is always inspiring to see that sort of thing! :) 

Do not let me get you down.. I am just trying to have a good bit of space sim banter! I really want to like SC more than I do, but I have already learned enough about game development that there need to be something more concrete before I get all up out of the chair. 

I do have high hopes for the SP part... at least if it is even remotely as fun as freelancer was back in the day. As long as that succeeds I do not really care much for all the rest.