Holy Moly this is a process

Thick8

Question

Hello All,

I'm about 40 hours into this install. Had to reinstall vanilla from the zip file twice. Cudos to the guy that put that part in the guide. There is a definite learning curve here; and they weren't kidding when they said you have to follow the directions exactly. I'm waiting on the DynoLOD to finish. thank God I have a fast SSD. I had several of those lightning bolts with the + and - by them but the game worked so I didn't try to figure them out. I did make two additional Skyrim zip files. One when all the MODs had been downloaded and another right before I started the current process.

Well, just wanted to say Hi and thank you for all of your unimaginably hard work on this. Gotta go search the forum for the lightning bolt issue

Bye.

John

• +1 1

12 answers to this question

The 'Lightning Bolt issue' is just files overwriting each other. If you look at the 'Conflicts' tab of a mod you can see what files it overwrites (+) and what files get overwritten (-). Not sure what guide you followed (I assume the latest STEP release), but if you followed the guide to the letter I assume your mods are installed in the correct order in MO's left pane, and any overwritten files are intended. In this case you can ignore the lightning bolts.

Basically it provides an easy way for you to check how a newly installed mod conflicts with previously installed mods. For example, a texture replacing mod will most likely always have a 'lightning bolt' with a + sign next to it. You can then check which textures it is overwriting in the Conflicts tab. Both the overwritten file and the overwriting file still exist in their own folders, but only the overwriting one will be used by the game.

I hope this made it clear :)

Edited by Pretendeavor

Yes that clears up my concerns. Thank you for that.

I did follow the guide to include all of the detailed instructions. The Game is BEAUTIFULL with all the HQ options installed.

I didn't quite understand the ENB install but then watched the Gamepoets video and figured it out. Unfortunately the wrapper version cause the game to freeze with all kinds of weird graphical anomalies when loading. I installed the injector version but don't know if it's working. I'm not getting the confirmation during the load screen like I was with the wrapper version. The ENBseries folder is being created in the Skyrim folder though, so who knows???

I un-overclocked everything when I started having issues and am still getting 50-60 FPS (4xAA, 16x AF @5918x1080 resolution) at stock speeds. That's with all the HQ options installed. I may (or may not) put the screws back to my machine to see what it can do.

I do have to start over as my last saved game had a bunch of mods that I downloaded withh NMM without any understanding of how they interacted. But that's OK. I find myself walking instead of running everywhere as it's just too pretty not to enjoy. 

Well I'm off to loose myself in Tamriel...

John

Edited by Thick8

With the injector version of ENB you actually have to run the injector program (ENBInjector.exe)  first before you run Skyrim. As well as all the ENB preset files, you need to copy from the ENB download the following files: enbhost.exeENBInjector.exeenbinjector.inienblocal.ini, and enbseries.dll.

Open up enbinjector.ini and set it so it looks like this:

[TARGETPROCESS]

ProcessName0=SkyrimLauncher.exe
ProcessName1=tesv.exe
ProcessName2=skse_loader.exe

Then run ENBInjector.exe. Make sure STEAM is running then fire up Skyrim via SKSE.

If that all worked you should get the message in the top left.

I've never set up ENB to run via injector so I dont claim mastery, but that should get you up and going.

Did a you said and am having CTD during game loading (just like with the wrapper). I'm just running ENB without any ENB presets. I followed the install instructions. Is ENB truly necessary?  

I've been having allot of fun playing with ReShadeMe with SweetFX 2.0.

To Switch just pull out all the ENB files in your skyrim folder. Put them all in a separate folder.

Then simply add in the SweetFX and reshademe files. You'll have to do some research though, just like setting up the ENB local INI, to set up the SweetFXsettings.txt (akaSweetFXini)

Also you'll need SSME (very easy to install just search nexus) Because I'm pretty sure SweetFX doesnt come with shesons memory fix. I'm actually using SSME now since my latest update from boros on ENB actually broke my memory patch. It just stopped working memory logged it and everything. So yeah...sucks though I have to keep the new ENB because I somehow got a large FPS boost in all areas after updating. (i think mainy due to him pulling out the Zprepass stuff (which he said was actually slowing stuff down even when set false) and updating the occulsion settings.

Anyways just letting you know switching out ENB is easy and doesnt mess AT all with your mods or load order. You many need SSME though should you not use ENB.

Also the SweetFX project along with ReShade me is very active and getting many many updates just like ENB. Its so hard to choose which one I want. I do notice that with SweetFX and Reshade. I literally dont need any lighting mods and am achieving the same effect as ELE w RelightingSkyrim. So I NOW use the Step EXT/Core patch with NO.ELE. and no RS.

Hope my rambling helps.

<Presets for SweetFX if you dont want to learn the INI file settings.

<main site

@brokenpaine - I recently tried ReShadeMe with SweetFX 2.0 but didn't have success.  There were strange "ghost shadows" of broken geometries following me around, like overlays or something.  Really odd.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it but had the same result.

I've been using SweetFX 1.5.1 ever since.  Love it!

Do you by chance have a link to where I might find out the cause of the 2.0 problem I was having?  I'd really like to try that version again, but am finding the help files rather lacking.

SweetFX presets for Skyrim are available here - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/61/

@brokenpaine - I recently tried ReShadeMe with SweetFX 2.0 but didn't have success.  There were strange "ghost shadows" of broken geometries following me around, like overlays or something.  Really odd.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it but had the same result.

I've been using SweetFX 1.5.1 ever since.  Love it!

Do you by chance have a link to where I might find out the cause of the 2.0 problem I was having?  I'd really like to try that version again, but am finding the help files rather lacking.

SweetFX presets for Skyrim are available here - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/61/

Hey I know about that!. What is your FPS averaging inside and out? You have an AMD card huh? Its an issue with shadowing and the reshaders, if your card can't handle it then Indeed, go back to 1.51. If you can't maintain a 40+ FPS outside, then it's a no-go.

In my case after optimizing all my textures and setting up DynDoLOD, I actually gained 8-12% FPS and now 2.0 is working for me. Unfortunately I had my first CTD after using the 2.0 with ReShade me. I immediately went back to ENB. But further testing is REQUIRED!! Because OMG the FX2.0 w/ReShadMe results were AMAZING on my STEP:ExtendedNoELE profile. Lighting, bloom, depth of field, and overall color and sat/con qulaity was very very impressive. I was using a preset based off of the More Alien Skyrim Mod.

I'm very proud of my stable modded game. I've played 12 hour stretches...with NO issues. SO after the CTD I switched back because I'm playing allot lately.

My goal is to stabilize it and drop ENB completely and just use FX2.0Reshade with SSME for the memory patch. Hope I've helped!

Edited by brokenpaine

@Brokenpaine - MSI Dominator (non-pro) laptop here.  GTX 970M mobile chipset with 6 gigs VRAM and 8 gigs of system RAM for the i7 quad core.

I figure my problem with ReShadeMe is the same as the struggles I had getting EMBoost working - I'm on an Optimus laptop.  Which suddenly makes me think that using ENBoost injector is probably why ReShadeME and SweetFX 2.0 didn't work.  I think when I get home tonight or tomorrow (out of town visiting relatives) I'll have a look at that again.  I hadn't thought about firing it up via SweetFX_preset.txt - SweetFX 1.5.1 initializes automatically when Skyrim fires up for me via MO/SKSE.

Honestly, I never imagined having a laptop that's basically a desktop disguised as something portable (just shy of 11 lbs, you do know you're packing the thing if you have it on your shoulder for an hour!)

BTW - I'm using OmniFXpreset-dull as my template and have tweaked the Tonemap and Use_Curves settings to taste.  I really love the subtle enhancements this generates.

Edit: - I did some searching and found that my ReShadeMe issue exists for some others, too.  There's a work-around posted so I think I'll give that a try, as well as going with the newest drivers there.  FYIhttps://reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/669-tes-skyrim-strange-shadows#5513

Edited by n0mad23

@Brokenpaine - MSI Dominator (non-pro) laptop here.  GTX 970M mobile chipset with 6 gigs VRAM and 8 gigs of system RAM for the i7 quad core.

I figure my problem with ReShadeMe is the same as the struggles I had getting EMBoost working - I'm on an Optimus laptop.  Which suddenly makes me think that using ENBoost injector is probably why ReShadeME and SweetFX 2.0 didn't work.  I think when I get home tonight or tomorrow (out of town visiting relatives) I'll have a look at that again.  I hadn't thought about firing it up via SweetFX_preset.txt - SweetFX 1.5.1 initializes automatically when Skyrim fires up for me via MO/SKSE.

Honestly, I never imagined having a laptop that's basically a desktop disguised as something portable (just shy of 11 lbs, you do know you're packing the thing if you have it on your shoulder for an hour!)

BTW - I'm using OmniFXpreset-dull as my template and have tweaked the Tonemap and Use_Curves settings to taste.  I really love the subtle enhancements this generates.

Edit: - I did some searching and found that my ReShadeMe issue exists for some others, too.  There's a work-around posted so I think I'll give that a try, as well as going with the newest drivers there.  FYIhttps://reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/669-tes-skyrim-strange-shadows#5513

I see. Well I cant help you there. I'm on a custom desktop. I've read allot about people having issues with the optimus. But I'm sure you'll figure it out! Beasty laptop though! lol