2k textures vs monitor resolution

edynacio

Question

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the replies.

The cost would be about extra $130. Does't seem a lot, but will rather use that towards other hardware unless is really worth it.

I'm in the process of building a new system that can run STEP Extended (all high quality options in the guide) with the Explorer's, Survival Pack and some mods from Weather and Lighting. I'm hoping to run Skyrim on Ultra.

So far this is what I have in mind:

i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini-ITX
EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
256GB SANDISK SSD Read 560MB/s. Write 290MB/s
16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X)

The two monitors in question:

Acer H257HU 25-Inch LED 2560 x 1440 ($375)
vs
ASUS MX259H 25-Inch LED 1920 x 1080 ($224)

After the info given it seems that 1920 x 1080 would be my choice.

Edited by edynacio

Yes - 2K textures are worth using on a 1920x1080 monitor, in my opinion.  While I haven't compared monitors of the same screen size, with one using 1920x1080 and the other using 2560x1440, my first thought is: how much more is the extra expense?  Without knowing what 2560x1440 looks like, I know that on my 24" 16:9 monitor, 1920x1080 looks great and I don't know if I would be willing to spend much more money at this time for a monitor that could display a higher resolution.  I know that if the resolution is higher that it will decrease the ability of my graphics card to perform smoothly.  I am quite happy with viewing 1920x1080 on this size screen.

It honestly depends whether or not the textures are optimized properly. With properly optimized textures without a lot of fine detail, you can't really tell much of a difference, imo. I run a few 2K textures on my 1080 monitor, but mostly 1K because the difference isn't noticeable most of the time and I'd rather save the VRAM.

Only get a 1440p monitor if you got the horsepower to support it (and not just in skyrim but in general)... if you got a card that can do that 2k textures wont be a problem anyways due to the base amount of VRAM those cards will have. 

However overall 2k is always sharper looking when you are up close, so if you enjoy looking at stuff up close then it is worth it. Otherwise it is more or less like tech says, it depends on the textures. Stuff like skin, weapons, and in general things that you will be up close too most of the time is always worth it. Also on large models, like landscape etc it will quickly be worth it. But for most clutter items without much detail it is kinda irrelevant since the model is not large enough for you to notice the details unless you go hunting for them.