Mod Organize 1.3.X -1.3.8 archive.dll error

sleez916

Question

Alright, So I've looked around all i've could, and i've found not solution to this issue yet. Ever since I have upgraded my Mod Organizer to 1.3.7 from (Either 1.3.4 or 1.3.5) Everytime I attempt to launch Mod Organizer, I get the error. "archive.dll not loaded: 'Cannot load library dlls/archive.dll The device is not ready'. In an attempt to just look for an answer, the closest i've found is to restart your computer, which hasn't worked from the few times that i've tried it.

From this point on every version of 1.3.x has given me the same error no matter what. I had gone back to 1.2.18 for a time as it gave me no errors, but with the recent issue with the unofficial skyrim patch and the old versions of Mod Organizer, i'm forced to look for help with this issue.

Computer is currently running Windows 7, and have attempted to run with administrative rights. The program has been allowed by both Webroot & Windows Security

I am not sure if there is some old configuration file some where that is causing this, or if it might possible be blocked by something, so any advise would be appreciated.

As far as a log goes, this is all it gets,

01:38:29 [D] ssl support: 0
01:38:29 [D] Working directory: D:\PC Games\Skyrim\ModOrganizer\Mod Organizer v1_3_8\ModOrganizer
01:38:29 [D] MO at: D:\PC Games\Skyrim\ModOrganizer\Mod Organizer v1_3_8\ModOrganizer
01:38:29 [D] removing obsolete files
01:38:29 [D] initializing core
01:38:36 [D] save D:/PC Games/Skyrim/ModOrganizer/Mod Organizer v1_3_8/ModOrganizer/webcache/nexus_cookies.dat
01:38:36 [C] failed to save cookies: failed to write D:/PC Games/Skyrim/ModOrganizer/Mod Organizer v1_3_8/ModOrganizer/webcache/nexus_cookies.dat

6 answers to this question

Try a clean install of 1.3.8 instead of an update over an existing.

Either remove everything in the current install except for your: mods, downloads & profiles folders and the ModOrganizer.ini & nxmhandlers.ini and then copy everything from the full 1.3.8 MO archive back into this cleaned folder.

Or simply install a complete 1.3.8 installation into a fresh location and set it up based on your current setup. You can either set the folders to use the current locations of those 3 special folders or simply move them to the new location.

The most likely cause of the error is a setting in the ModOrganizer.ini from a previous install looking for an old plugin.

The easiest thing to remember with MO is everything about it is portable, there are no hidden files in obscure places or registry settings. If something goes wrong those folder and those ini files are all that are used to make it 'your' install.

Also it looks like you may have been updating your previous installs by unzipping the archives into a structure one level up the folder tree each time.

By that I mean you now have an installation directory structure that looks like this:

D:/PC Games/Skyrim/ModOrganizer/Mod Organizer v1_3_8/ModOrganizer/

What you should have is just this:

D:/PC Games/Skyrim/ModOrganizer/

When you open the update archives the structure should be copied as is INTO the current MO install, however the FULL archive has ModOrganizer as the top folder which can be copied to a location as whole. Check that you don't have multiple files in layered folders in your install.

So I went ahead and completely removed everything from the previous Mod Organizers I had (1.2.18 & 1.3.8), except for the mod folder (It's sitting in it's own little place). Then I went ahead and did a two completely different installations of 1.3.8 Mod Organizer (One Manually & One with the Installer)

Locations:

C:\Users\John Massey\Documents\My Games\skyrim\Mod Organizer

D:\PC Games\Skyrim\Mod Organizer

There are no subfolders and these lead directly the entire Mod Organizer Archive

Attempted to launch both Mod Organizers, not altering or changings the files or their locations in anyway other than how they were installed, and both installations immediately gave the same error.

Since I am unable to start those programs at all, i've yet to even get a ModOrganizer.ini in those folders.

Did a search for it on my computer, and there was one for my ModOrganizer with Fallout New Vegas.

Completely removed the Fallout New Vegas Mod Organizer archive as a whole except for the mods & profile.

Still receiving the same error

Are you saying when you installed into those locations that none of these folders/files where visible?

plugins
dlls
translations
platforms
license
NCC
loot
tutorials
stylesheets
nxmhandler.exe
helper.exe
hook.dll
ModOrganizer.exe
uibase.dll
msvcr120.dll
msvcp120.dll
python27.zip
python27.dll

You said in the opening post you updated from 1.3.4 to 1.3.7. If that is the case there must have been a modorganizer.ini for that install.

I'm trying to get clear in my mind what you are describing, it isn't very clear at this stage.
You have installed a fresh installation of the latest MO and upon running it you are presented with the error message:

archive.dll not loaded: 'Cannot load library dlls/archive.dll The device is not ready.

And the program will not continue. Yet you previously had MO installed and presumably managing your mods. Also 1.2.18 works fine with the exception of the USKP record problem.

Is that where we are at the moment?

1st. Yes, those files were there after the installation.

DLLs
License
logs
loot
NCC
platforms
plugins
stylesheets
translations
tutorials
helper
hook.dll
modorganizer.exe
python27.dll
python27.zip
uibase.dll
uninstall.exe
(After Installation)

2nd. Perhaps I wasn't making things clear.

I had 1.3.4 then updated to 1.3.7 which lead to this error. Happened a few weeks ago.

My solution was to "Completely Remove" that corrupted / problematic Mod organizer and install 1.2.18. So that one (1.3.4 -> 1.3.7) is completely gone already.

Now, USKP is running into the same issue in one of the earlier topic about it not moving higher in the load order.

Best Fix for that is to update to the current version of Mod Organizer 1.3.8.

I updated it it from 1.2.18 to 1.3.8, which is now leading to the error I receive from the same update I did a few weeks ago.

Now Today, I deleted all of the Mod Organizers I had through the uninstall.exe (Or by deleting the folder 'Mod Organizer' at D:\PCGames\Skyrim\Mod Organizer afterwards, I run a registry clear to remove the records of Mod Organizer installing onto my computer.)

After that, installed 1.3.8 Mod Organizer into two different location.

C:\Users\John Massey\Documents\My Games\skyrim\Mod Organizer

D:\PC Games\Skyrim\Mod Organizer

Each one gave the same error.

There should be no other Mod Organizers other then the two I just installed today.

Edited by sleez916

Hmm... if 1.3.4 can be installed without error then you should at least install that to fix the USKP problem.

As I mentioned before there are no hidden entries anywhere, everything is in each installation.

At this stage you are the only user that I've seen with this problem, I'm assuming you are the same as the Nexus user @SleeZ.

Best bet will be to just leave it in @Tannin's hands and follow on the Bug Genie report you have started. I see no reason why 1.3.4 worked for you but later versions error out.

Well, after doing that update. This error appears on all version of 1.3 that are avaliable to download. So the only version of Mod Organizer that will ever actually load, without that specific error is 1.2.18.

Normally I'd go searching to see if anyone else had this error, and i've see a few people mention it with no answers given other than restart your computer.

Figured i'd at least be the one to ask myself and see if there are any other answers out there.