What is a Bashed Patch ?

Kwellcodechaot

Question

Hi! At first im new to this site and want to say thank you for alle the usefull informations here! But one thing i cant figure out yet. What is a Bashed Patch and what does it exactly ? Should i use it ? I found many Information about Wrye Bash and how to setup a bashed patch, but in every guide i read and every video i watched. I couldnt understand what a bashed patch exactly is. Also my english is not the best at all (im from germany).

Could someone of you explaine me what i need to now about Bashed Patches ?

I think i understood the following :

1. A Bashed Patch is also a way of merging mods together in one like i do it with xEdit ?

2. I use it to save space in my load order to dont get above 140 esp`s ?

I have a bad feeling that i am totaly wrong.

Please help me out :)

Greetings from Berlin!

6 answers to this question

A bashed patch mainly merges leveled lists from various mods so that they play nice together. It may also merge a few mods into it so you will no longer need that mod's ESP (reducing the number of ESPs in your load order). It is essential for STEP so if you are following the STEP Guide, you should also create a bashed patch.

To create a bashed patch, you have to use Wrye Bash. We provide detailed instructions here: https://wiki.step-project.com/Bashed_Patch#Recommendations

^ This! As Tech said, this is the primary function of a Bashed Patch. It can of course change some specific game settings and/or merge some VERY SPECIFIC mods but noway near the functionality of the Merge Script for xEdit.

Totally different tools for completely different operations.

In conjunction to STEP's link that Tech posted above, this one may prove also helpful in understanding the functionality of a Bashed Patch. Once in that page, have also a look to a very informative post (in the "POSTS" section - 1st page) from lojack that explains a lot about Bashed tags and how they mean to be implemented.

Hope that helps and...welcome to STEP forums!  ::):

Thank you ! I forgot to say that i am following the Fear and loathing in new vegas guide now. If i understood you right, i should follow the STEP guide for skyrim to see more detailed examples on a Bashed Patch ?

Oh Thane thx for the link. looks like i have a lot to read now ;) 

Edited by Kwellcodechaot

Also, remember to use Google Translate on any of our pages here if you want to get it in German or any other language. I think English to other languages work a little better than conversion into English from other languages.

Translation can be done using the browser plugin applied to any page, so it is pretty convenient.