Webroot Antivirus for PC Gamers & S.T.E.P. [Modding/Forums/Gameplay]

CloakedBreton

Question

8 answers to this question

That website was good for a laugh anyway.

Check out the reviews. They actually have a 3/5 and a 1/5 review right on their front page. It says something for their honesty, but based on what those reviews say, and ONLY based on that, I would definitely not recommend it, not even to my mother in law, not even if I got a 75% commision.

• +1 1

I

I believe there was a smell debate previously that resulted in Microsoft security essentials to be just overall good

I may check into that [if MSE will not conflict with Webroot SE].

Via PCWorld article:

"Webroot did a better job of protecting against known malware (arising within 30 days of the testing), successfully blocking 99 percent of attacks. Microsoft Security Essentials blocked just 93 percent of known malware attacks). However, most of the other security suites in our roundup successfully blocked 100 percent of known malware attacks."

But, is this a marketing (biased) comment?

Anyway ...

I do also use Webroot Secure Everywhere (not "for PC Gamers") and it might seem overkill - or worse, mangle current AV/Malware & gaming environment.

Thanks for responses!

My 2c worth.

Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware + Common sense.

Or to put it another way. These tools, MSE especially, don't always get the greatest reviews but if you use your computer wisely you shouldn't be in a position to be at risk.

No hard evidence to support this next statement but, 99% of all infections are the result of wandering into a site that you shouldn't be in and downloading something you shouldn't be getting.

If you sleep with dogs you will end up with fleas.

• +1 1

[Here is a MS note regarding Win 8.1]

Via Microsoft:

"Windows Defender for Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1 provides built-in protection against malware. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8.1, but you don't need to - Windows Defender is already included and ready to go. But if you’re looking to protect a PC with an older version of Windows, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials to help guard against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It provides free* real-time protection for your home or small business PCs.

Note: Windows Defender is also available in earlier versions of Windows. However, in earlier versions Windows Defender only provides protection against spyware.
In Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, Windows Defender provides full malware protection for your PC.
Malware consists of viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software."