New laptop, Windows 8.1 thinks mods are apps.

Madcad7

Question

New Alienware laptop. just downloaded and installed MO, went to nexus and tried to download a mod and I keep getting a message asking if I want this app on my computer. If I say yes it sends me to the app store to find an app that can open the mod. There is of course no app available to open it because it is a mod for skyrim. not an app. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks

12 answers to this question

I followed Gophers instructions on installation, so yeah, MO is set to handle nxm links, it's got to be a setting somewhere in windows 8.1. I hate 8.1 can''t ever find anything. Like the old saying goes if your a hammer everything looks like a nail. I guess the new saying should be if your windows 8.1 everything looks like an app.

Im downloading with MO. I had this problem before and there was a setting somewhere that fixed it. Now I am helping a friend who is new to modding and just got a new computer for christmas. I was working on setting him up and ran into the same issue but it has been about 6 months since I was dealing with it and I dont remember what the fix was, just that it was a setting somewhere in windows

Internet explorer

Was this the type of message or was it something else?

5dab796284.png

In other words, was it IE asking for permission of some other software taking control of that type of extension (nxm).

If you select 'Allow' the registered program for that extension, in this case it should be MO, will be called and the download will commence.

No, thats not what I got, thats what I'm supposed to get, what I got is a windows 8 message that you get when downloading an app from the app store. I wish I could show you a screen capture of it but the computer in question is not here right now.

I think maybe its not recognizing the fomod installer, I may have to just have him download manually, but I know there is a fix for this, I found it about 6 months ago when I was having the same problem with my new computer, I just cant remember what it was.

In your opening post you said:

went to nexus and tried to download a mod and I keep getting a message asking if I want this app on my computer

Now you're saying it might be the fomod installer that is fooling Windows. You're not going to see that extension from the download page on Nexus, you must have successfully downloaded it and tried to install it for something like that to happen.

So which is it? Have you downloaded and can't install it or you can't download it?

If it is the installation problem then maybe the Windows message gives you the chance to look for a suitable installed executable on your system?

Point it to MO if it does.

From the posts here I assume that nexus mod manager has never been installed on this computer. Am I correct?

I have found in the past that when I remove NMM the NXM links get messed up and I have a hard time getting it to work.

Try the following, press the Windows start button and in the text box type “associationâ€, without quotes. You should see the Change file types associated with a file extension link. Click it to open the set associations Window. Scroll down and look for .nxm in the list. If it is there and you have NMM installed it should have NMM as the as the program associated with it. I am not sure what the setting will be if NMM is not installed, but I guess the association will not exist at all.

Go to your MO install directory and look for the nxmhandler.exe program. Double click it to run it. Look for an entry for the game you want to handle. You can have multiple entries for a given game.

If your game is not there then right click and select add to make a new entry. You will get a dialog for a game. Select one in the left pane and in the right pane click the button next to the “Select Binary†text field. Navigate to your install of MO and select ModOrganizer.exe as the program to run. Click OK and then close to exit. This should set up the proper association for you.

If the game you want to handle is there and the path points to the correct install of MO then try clicking on the "Register Active" button to the right of the Primary Handler field. This should have the path to nxmhandler.exe in your MO install.