Un-installing HD Texture Pack DLC

monababii

Question

Hello!

I was wondering, is it possible to uninstall the HD Texture Pack DLC either manually or through Mod Organizer? (I'm using MO of course). The Plugins tab in MO tells me that the .esps for the HD Texture Pack DLC are dummy files and can be disabled without it affecting the actual textures shown in game (is this true by the way?), since the .bsas or something are being "automatically" handled by MO (I have that enabled). But what If I actually *want* to get rid of it? is there a way?

I've searched Google for a while and everyone seems to agree that no, you can't D: but figured I'd ask here since Mod Organizer is such a new thing and amazing and has all these options and magic going on... maybe I could have a chance to getting rid of that particular DLC, but I wouldn't know how and wouldn't want to touch anything before asking... I'm prone to breaking things.

Thanks a lot in advance and as usual... apologies if this is somehow in the wrong section. I see support forums for other games but not for Skyrim, not sure yet how this site works D:

P.S.: Again. Read guidelines but little to nothing from it applies to my question, however I can edit this post with any information you may require!

15 answers to this question

Delete the .bsa and .esp from your data dir manually, and then do not reverify the game using steam ? I would think that would be the most easy way to do it. 

Wouldn't the cause issues in my current game? or is it safe to do that?

There is an additional step you can take too, after deleting the files for it. In Steam, right click on Skyrim, and then click on properties. Go to the DLC tab, and then uncheck the box in the Installed column for the "Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack". Pretty sure that will stop Steam redownloading the files.

• +1 1

Thank you. What I did was put all 3 .bsa and .esp files into a "HD Texture Pack DLC BACKUP" folder and uninstalled the Unofficial HD pack patch. I guess simply unchecking things would have been easier but that's kind of sort of the way I went with it lol.

Thanks for all of the replies again.

As Im need to free up space from my SSD and as my texture mods totally overwrite HDLC packs, I have unticked them in Steam and they totally disappear from my Data folder. So all seems correct.

But when Im lauching MO, three messages says "plugins HighResTexture packxx.esp not found".

I think its an auto warning from MO but how can I be sure that operation will not kill some stuff?

Edited by lexo1000

Actually, all you need to do to accomplish this is deactivate the three esps and uncheck the three BSAs. No need to delete the files.

Unless, of course, you don't want to see it period. Then deletion is better for your OCD.

Apologies for bringing back an old thread, but I did this and the game will now crash on load screens sometimes, even if I disable all of my mods except skse and the unofficial updates. have you guys heard of this before?

Edited by Libertron

Did which? Untick them or delete? Either way they shouldn't affect anything. Though I suppose there is a small chance that it causes your saves to throw such a fit they cause a crash since you're missing "mods" I doubt it quite highly. More details if you have them please.

Thanks for the reply!

I unticked them in MO, both the dummies and the BSAs, and then went on to Steam and unchecked High Res DLC by right clicking on Skyrim and selecting Downloadable content. It did start to crash before I uninstalled it in Steam though.

I did a clean restart from an original skyrim folder copy just to see. I reinstalled skse and MO following Gopher's vids. Everything is fine again, I just have to reinstall all of my mods, which is a deserved pain. I knew my laptop couldn't handle the High Res DLC but I went ahead and installed it anyway out of curiosity. It did things I don't understand.

I guess this is a warning for Performance Weary users out there using MO not to download the High Res DLC.