Falling/flipping cart and lockups during opening ride to helgen. HELP!

FalloutPrime

Question

Anybody have any idea what mods, or actions(like a TES5Edit Cleaning..) could cause this so I can begin to troubleshoot it?Basically, when I start a new game, the wagon I'm on is either falling through the sky infinitely, and then gets reset in the sky to fall again, OR the cart is fine and everything is working but the game locks up.Ask me questions about my setup.

I don't want to post my long as load order / mod list unless you want to see it. I'll say I'm using all the mods on the STEP 2.2.9 guide, plus some mods of my own choosing(not many). I am not using any STEP patches because I don't know how to edit the load order thing in the STEP patches with TES5Edit to make them work with the extra mods I'm using.I just spent two days re-installing everything from the ground up, following all instructions in the STEP guide to the letter. Save using the STEP patches for the above reason, and bloody hells, after all that work, I want this damnable thing to work! Please help if you can!

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just installed the Skyrim Performance Monitor after setting my enblocal.ini memory setting to:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=10240
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

I am KILLING the game with 60fps rock solid. No more freezes as of yet. MCM is also working WAY better, where as before, it was lagging, and not loading up the setting for mods in the right pane when i clicked on a mod in the left pane. 
So far so good. Gonna go eat lunch and then come back and do some more testing and reporting. Thanks again everyone for the help.

The other possibility is to set a FPS limit. That situation with carts going bananas etc is often due to a frame rate > 100. If you set Vsync up or use ENB to limit FPS to 60 or so that may help.

This is almost always the case.

I'll also mention that I've had trouble with enb vsync, both with enboost on it's own and as an enb with all it's visuals. PresentInterval was set to 0, I had to re enable it in order to have any vsync in skyrim (forced through ccc didn't work either).

Also had very similar trouble with enbs fps limiter too, despite setting it to whatever value it always capped my fps to about 10, it's very picky.

Tephandemic, (or anyone) So preset interval is in skyrimprefs.ini, which means you are just using the actual skyrim side vsync? does that mean i should deactivate vsync in enblocal and try that? am i understanding this correctly? I'm not using a full enb. just the memory management. thinking of trying and enb preset though.. any tips on which one is the best? i like dark darks, and vibrant colors. (id be able to use the frame limiter then correct?)

Edited by FalloutPrime

It seems that using the FPS limiter in enblocal.ini works when set to 60.0 fps. No more flipping/falling cart, at least not yet. Have done two new games so far with no problems in any case.

As for the freezes and lockups, im not positive, but i had installed skse through adding the archive into MOs MODS folder and activating it as if it were a mod. I stopped using this method, and used the skse installer to actually install it, and have not had a freeze since.

Never got papyrus logging to work. I think this has something to do with MOs different .ini files.

Not sure where i need to enable the logging to get it to work, or where the logs folder will be once it is enabled.  If it were in the MO inis would that not make the game put the log files in the overwrite folder when it created the logs?

On the ENB thing. Truevision ENB and Project ENB looks amazing from what I've seen. Made by the same guy too. Realvision ENB is probably one of the most used ENB's, and it's pretty good. If your PC can pull it off, Kinematic ENB Extensive is absolutely amazing. The author pulled it from the Nexus for some (seemingly)idiotic reason though. But it has been uploaded to various filesharing sites, although I don't know if this forum has a policy about respecting mod authors wishes, even when it seems unreasonable(and when it is not a mod used by STEP), so I won't post a link, but PM me if you want it, or try googling it.

Check out this: 

https://imgur.com/a/2Dcez#0

Edited by Halde

Just gonna throw my two-cents in here with my experience that you are having with freezing at the character creation. I had to install the racemenu pre-cache killer to get past this. If you don't wanna do that, to be honest, since the beginning cart ride is so performance heavy, especially when modded. Just wait till you get past Helgen to begin loading mods in to your save. Is so much easier that way. And if you don't like the crap character creation you had to use, when you do load in the mods and everything is gravy, just go into an interior (smaller than better) and then use the showracemenu command to recreate the character you want with the fancy charater enhancing mods we like to use. Thats my two-cents anyways, hope it helps.

Regards,

Slink

Just did another test on the new game. Cart flipping error is back. I can't stand intermittent bugs. They are the worst kind. Yes I have a save file that is past the cart ride, so I can easily circumvent this error. I'd still like to find out whats causing it. 

A couple things:

1) Using the skyrim performance monitor, fps NEVER went above 60. So the FPS limiter, and presumably vsync are working.2) Memory is fine. Using around 2gb of the 3gb my card has, and about 800mb of ram to run the game. This fluctuates a little up or down obviously, but doesn't go too far from what I said.

3) Exasperated *sigh*. i'll squash this bug yet damn it. Anybody have any idea how to get papyrus logging working with MO?

Edited by FalloutPrime

Out of curiosity does this happen if you do Character creation in say Alternate Start Live Another Life or if you coc to another location (or on an exisiting save) and then open the console and enter the command for character editing?

If so, and you have any high resolution skin, warpaint, hair mods try installing the next level down (if available) going from 4k -> 2k or from 2k -> 1k going so far as from 4k -> 1k if needed. Let us know.

No Helgen Reborn. And since I upped my memory in enblocal (previous post in this thread showed what i did), i have had no freezing or lockups. Even using showracemenu while outside. The only problem I'm having now is the cart flipping thing. Which, again, I have a save that gets me past it. At this point, I'm just being stubborn and trying to squash the bug cause it's annoying.