Reverted back to 1.1.2 and now SKSE, BOSS, etc. won't run from MO

peppergomez

Question

I reverted from 1.2.6 back to 1.1.2 as per STEP instructions. Installed MO into the same folder location.

Now I cannot open any of the programs like SKSE, BOSS, BUM, etc. from MO. I have verified that the file paths in the Binary fields are correct.

I will try a reboot, but in the meantime, does anyone know if there's more I need to do?

Edited by peppergomez

If you're having problems, definitely go back to 1.2.6.

To be clear about the current issues with 1.2.6: the only functionality that has problems is the new functionality added with regard to the handling of "Non-MO" mods (i.e. stuff installed physically in /Data, including the vanilla/DLC content)

To put it simply, 1.2.6 is basically ignoring the custom modlist priority you assign to Non-MO mods, such as Dawnguard, Dragonborn, HearthFires.  The issue is that it's often loading those files before all other mods.

So you might have DG, HF, DB down at mod priority position 10 or something, but in fact it's treating them like they're before priority 0.

But remember that that is exactly how MO always used to handle them, in every previous version!  So you've lost nothing by using 1.2.6 versus 1.2.1 or 1.1.2.  All that's wrong is that MO lets you put those Non-MO mods higher in the priority, then ignores that.  

(In fact, to be precise, it only ignores it with regard to loose file mods.  So if you put DG at priority 5, and priorities 0-4 all contain BSAs, then it's working OK.  But if there's a mod that has loose files that's lower priority than a Non-MO mod, the loose file will still overwrite the Non-MO mod, ignoring the priority ordering.  That's misleading and unintended, but is no different to what happened in all previous versions of MO, where the 'Non MO' mods, i.e. Dawnguard, Dragonborn, etc, were always loaded first, before any MO mod.  )

TLDR:  Just use version 1.2.6.

Ideally you should also follow the changelog advice which is to:

[*]not extract the BSAs for the Unofficial Patches

[*]have your Non-MO mods (and their associated Unofficial Patches) starting from Priority 0 in your modlist; as per priorities 0 - 10 on this screenshot. (Disregard the rest of the mod ordering in that screenshot - priority 11+ - as it's not necessarily aligned with STEP.)

But even if you do have other mods before USKP and DG and so on, that's still no different to the setup you had when you used MO 1.1.2 or MO 1.2.1.  So it's not a big deal at all.

The advice on STEP was meant to simplify things for users who wouldn't read the changelog, and ideally to prevent users from upgrading from 1.1.2 (or 1.2.1) at all until the current (minor) issues in 1.2.6 are resolved.  But if you're having problems with 1.1.2, you absolutely can and should just use 1.2.6 because you're really not losing anything compared to 1.1.2 (quite the opposite.)

Edited by TheBloke

Well ****. Rebooted, but to no effect. Still can't run anything from the MO. I've gone from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6 to 1.1.2 today, after noticing the STEP advice about reverting back to 1.1.2.

All the binaries are correct so I have no idea what to do to troubleshoot this. I can't launch anything, not even Skyrim,, from MO.

post-511-0-90341000-1403843634_thumb.png

Edited by peppergomez

Crap. Nothing. MO just "blinks" when I click any of the apps (BOSS, BUM, SKSE, Skryim) but doesn't do jack.

However, if you still want to revert to 1.1.2, rename your old directory something else and then try copying 1.1.2 into a new directory named "ModOrganizer". Then copy in the following files from the old directory:

• These files: ModOrganizer.ini, nxmhandlers.ini, and categories.dat
  • These directories:  downloads, mods, overwrite, and profiles

As described for updating MO here (scroll down for it)-

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer_Advanced

That seems to have worked fine for me.

Edited by kylhwch

Thanks folks

Where should my Dragonborn and Dawnguard optimized textures folders go, in terms of Mod priority in MO?

Also, I have one warning message in MO that there are files in my overwrite mod, but there's no guided fix available. What might be a way I can investigate/solve this?

Edited by peppergomez

TLDR:  Just use version 1.2.6.

Ideally you should also follow the changelog advice which is to:

[*]not extract the BSAs for the Unofficial Patches

[*]have your Non-MO mods (and their associated Unofficial Patches) starting from Priority 0 in your modlist; as per priorities 0 - 10 on this screenshot. (Disregard the rest of the mod ordering in that screenshot - priority 11+ - as it's not necessarily aligned with STEP.)

But even if you do have other mods before USKP and DG and so on, that's still no different to the setup you had when you used MO 1.1.2 or MO 1.2.1.  So it's not a big deal at all.

Ok so I've been thinking about this for a bit.

1. Is it necessary to put all bsa-using mods, (like Falskaar, for example,) at the top of the load order? (assuming you left the bsa packed). What about Steam mods?

2. Or is it just necessary to put the official dlc and unofficial patches there?

2. What if Falskaar's at Priority 200? All this time I've been assuming the Priority column was the last word on what got loaded over other mods. Is that not the case, now?

Ok so I've been thinking about this for a bit. 1. Is it necessary to put all bsa-using mods, (like Falskaar, for example,) at the top of the load order? (assuming you left the bsa packed). What about Steam mods? 2. Or is it just necessary to put the official dlc and unofficial patches there? 2. What if Falskaar's at Priority 200? All this time I've been assuming the Priority column was the last word on what got loaded over other mods. Is that not the case, now?

The problem exists solely with the mods labelled "Non-MO" - which for nearly all of us, means just Dawnguard, HearthFires, Dragonborn, and HiResTexturePack01,02,03. The BSA files provided by those Non-MO mods, cannot overwrite loose files with a lower priority than them. To be absolutely clear: Non-MO BSAs cannot overwrite loose files in mods which have a lower priority number than the Non-MO mod. Therefore, if you put those Non-MO mods, and their accompanying unofficial packs, at the top of the priority list, the issue cannot occur - so long as your unofficial patches are using BSA files, not loose files that you extracted from BSAs. So, set up your mod list in the following order: Priority | Mod0 | USKP1 | Dawnguard2 | UDGP3 | HearthFires4 | UHFP5 | Dragonborn6 | UDBP7 | HiResTexturePack018 | HiResTexturePack029 | HiResTexturePack0310 | UHRP And ensure that your mods USKP, UDGP, UDBP and UHRP have not been extracted from their BSAs.  If those mods contain just an ESP and a BSA, there's no issue.  If you previously extracted their BSAs, then re-install them and don't extract the BSA this time. Do that, and everything will be fine, with your mod list priority being observed exactly as you expect. In fact you don't quite have to be that strict.  You can, for example, put mods before the Non-MO mods, so long as those other mods only include BSA files.   You could also put mods that include loose files before the Non-MO mods, and the only effect will be that those loose files will not obey priority order and will load after the Non-MO mods - this part being identical to previous versions of MO, where Non-MO mods always loaded at (in effect) priority position -1; before everything else. But to keep life simple, just follow the ordering I gave above and showed in my screenshot.  What you then do from position 11 onwards is up to you, and will be observed exactly. This complication applies only temporarily; when MO 1.2.7 comes out the issues will be fixed, and it will go back to modlist priority ruling all, as it should do. Edited by TheBloke
  • +1 1