HighResTexturePack ESPs marked as dummies, but textures will not load without them.

DrGamut

Question

I have the HighResTexturePack BSAs enabled under archives in Mod Organizer, but their textures do not actually load in Skyrim if I do not also enable their associated ESPs.

Below are two screenshots of the side of a building near Whiterun. In the first screenshot the ESPs are disabled as suggested by Mod Organizer, in the second screenshot they are enabled. There were no other changes made prior to the shots.

Posted ImagePosted Image

12 answers to this question

I have noticed this before as well, it's not just you. But if you completely follow the guide it shouldn't matter. If you follow the DDSOPT section unpack the the .bsa's and optimize them. It's actually really easy with the .bat file included in the instructions. Loose files always overwrite bsa's.

Edited by Vulgar1

I have noticed this before as well, it's not just you. But if you completely follow the guide it shouldn't matter. If you follow the DDSOPT section unpack the the .bsa's and optimize them. It's actually really easy with the .bat file included in the instructions. Loose files always overwrite bsa's.

Right, I just wanted to bring some awareness to this issue as I've seen it denied before.

If you are using the beta, it has a problem in the gui where it may appear checked in BSAs and actually not be. Try unticking and reticking the BSA.

I am not using the beta, but I tried reticking the boxes anyway. Same result as before. HD textures do not load without the ESPs.

Edited by DrGamut

I have also seen it denied but I know it happens. That's why when people first started using the method of unticking them and said they had a great performance increase it was really because they were no longer running them. I think a lot of people also just don't notice it because they have a lot of other texture overhauls.

Edited by Vulgar1

I have the HighResTexturePack BSAs enabled under archives in Mod Organizer, but their textures do not actually load in Skyrim if I do not also enable their associated ESPs.

Below are two screenshots of the side of a building near Whiterun. In the first screenshot the ESPs are disabled as suggested by Mod Organizer, in the second screenshot they are enabled. There were no other changes made prior to the shots.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Much ugly; need eye bleach.

That said... it's probably something to do with the way MO is treating files (mainly .bsas) in the Skyrim Data directory; it might be solved once Tannin gets around to solving the coding portion of the workaround.

Probably not relevant, but I noticed yesterday that MO had sorted my HRDLC archives to the top of the data group. If it processes the BSAs in the order they're listed then it would have loaded the HRDLCs and then overridden them with the standard ones.

Easy fix: just drag them down to the bottom of the data group. Of course, I'm not currently loading the HRDLCs anyway, so I have no if this had any effect. Might be worth trying though

[edit]

Actually, that makes sense. If they just have the BSA ticked, they'll load in the order on that tab. If the esps are ticked, they'll load in ESP order.

Edited by DocClox

So as i get more and more confused, by reading about BSAs i have to ask here, if this is still the case?

I mainly would like to have my Skyrim with 100~200 mods that are REALLY active and SHOWN in game!

It would be sad if i have that many mods but they aren't active in game(overwritten etc) and i wouldn't recognize it till i check every single mod(no sir i don't want to do it please :psyduck: ).

So because i read :

Plugin unchecked, BSA checked - Follows mod priority order for conflict resolution. Plugin does not affect the situation at all.

in the Ramifications of BSA Extraction in Mod Organizer and with respect to its date i would think that this information is more valid than what is stated in this thread here.

And i would like to have a STEP recommendation on what to do in MO with mods that have BSAs and ESPs.

If i just install it in MO the ESP get's automatically checked by MO so i get a warning in the Archives tab(for the BSAs), where it doesn't get checked.

So now as a newbie i don't have a clue if this is wanted by STEP or not(same with conflicts); normally i would think STEP wants it, if it isn't stated otherwise.

But then i have a warning mark which scares me ::O: .

So after searching and reading for hours i couldn't find a STEP recommendation and i just found information that contradicts each other.

I know now how the load ordering works(at least a good amount of it) and how MO should handle it(according to Ramifications of BSA Extraction in Mod Organizer, if this is correct, which i assume).

Hope someone can tell me what is required to get the results STEP wants.

You may take Appropriately Attired Jarls mod as an Example(which also has the .bsl file which is not listed under file types in the Skyrim Installation Guide[also readme and other sites makes it clear, that i can delete it])

I'm using MO 1.1.1 at the moment.

(Sry for any english mistakes. It's not my native language, which also makes it harder to understand english guides)

I've just run a detailed test of this, using Mod Organizer version 1.2.1 beta (the latest beta available on the Nexus mod page):

Using MO 1.2.1 beta, I cannot re-create the issue.  I have verified that the HD DLC loads without the ESPs ticked, as expected.

Details of testing:

[*]I went to Honningbrew Meadery, near Whiterun.

[*]I stood up close to one of its walls, facing west, and saved the game.

[*]I loaded the game from this point and took a screenshot, with each of the following three configurations:

[*]HD DLC BSAs not available - I moved them out of /Data, to confirm the appearance when the HD DLC was definitely not loaded.

[*]Note that I found that I had to move the BSAs out of /Data (or rename them) - unticking them in Archives tab did not work.  See note below.

[*]HD DLC BSAs available in /Data directory; ESPs not ticked  (my standard configuration, as per MO's recommendations)

[*]HD DLC BSAs available in /Data directory; ESPs ticked

[*]The screenshots in tests 2 & 3 were identical, and noticeably visually improved over when HD DLC was not loaded at all (test 1)

Image library showing screenshots from tests 1, 2 and 3:  https://imgur.com/a/C2Oll

@DrGamut:  

Try upgrading to Mod Organizer version 1.2.1 beta, which is the most recent stable beta, and is available on MO's Nexus mod page.  

Although 1.1.2 should work fine too, it's worth testing in the latest (stable) beta, which is the version I verified above.  If you can confirm the issue still exists in 1.2.1 beta, then we'll need to examine your setup more carefully because there must be some local issue that's causing yours to not function correctly.  Might need to be raised as a bug for Tannin, once we've looked at what might be different for you.

Regarding disabling the HD DLC:

As noted above, the only way I found to test disabling the HD DLC completely was moving its three BSA files out of /Data - or renaming them so they didn't have a .bsa extension.

I first tried unticking them in the Archives tab, but I found that MO simply re-ticked them as soon as I moved out and back into that tab. Or to be more precise, it first showed the warning triangle indicating "Marked Archives are still loaded in Skyrim". Then when you move out of Archives, it re-ticks them for you automatically.

Disabling vanilla content via the Archives tab is not supported in the current MO version, for the reason the warning triangle indicates (even if you untick them, the game will load them anyway because they're physically there in /Data.)  It should be supported in the next version (released by Tannin for testing last night, as MO beta 1.2.2), which changes how vanilla content is handled, making it more like normal mods.

Edited by TheBloke