No performance increase after upgrading GPU

O0mix0O

Question

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my computer's GPU from an R9 280x to an R9 290. I noted some of the FPS I was getting in certain locations, saved my game, changed GPU, loaded these saves and compared my current FPS to the ones I had written down. There was NO increase in FPS at all. 

In ENBlocal I changed Videomemorysizemb from 3072 to 4096

I assumed this would be all I needed to do... Any ideas please? :D

(Haven't included BOSS list/Mod list as I didn't think they were relevant but correct me if I'm wrong :) )

PC specs 

CPU - AMD FX8350 - 4.4GHz + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

GPU - MSI R9 290

RAM - Kingston red HyperX 8GB - 1600MHz

Motherboard - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB - Seagate 320GB

SSD - OCZ 128GB

Case - Zalman Z11 Plus

PSU - Corsair CX 600W - 80+ Bronze 

Edited by O0mix0O

8 answers to this question

some people say that placing Videomemorysizemb to 10240 increases performance...

did you reset your .ini files?you also should try that

worst case it could be a cpu bottleneck 

Thanks for your reply. I changed the size to 10240 but that didn't change anything :/ 

Probably a noob question but what do you mean by resetting my ini files?

Now as I recall then the difference in GPU between those two models is not really there (might be wrong sorry if I am!)... only one has more memory then the other one. 

Performance comes down to the GPU type, and its clock speed essentially. If those did not change then you should not expect to see more performance. 

Extra performance as a result of more video memory does not directly translate into more FPS, since the GPU can only render so many frames per sec anyways... it will however translate into more fluet gameplay (In the case of skyrim... less stuttering when doing cell changes), since resources the GPU needs are loaded faster. 

More core > clock speed with GPUs. Memory is weird because of the lack of a memory controller in GPUs and the divided memory hierarchy since the cores are divided into thread blocks.

Also, remember that performance problems with some games is the software. As PC gamers we sometimes forget that and participate in the time honored tradition of throwing more hardware at software problem.

after the gpu change ....Did Skyrim Detect a new GPU?

if NO

Find "Renderinfo.txt" located in the My docs/my Games /Skyrim folder.....delete it. Start the game with the default launcher..(not SKSE_launcher), and the game will detect the new hardware.

You can just look in the renderinfo.txt file to see what GPU is listed. if wrong then nuke. :)

But as posted above, if the speed of the clock and memory is same between the 2 cards no FPS changes will show, IF only diff is amount of VRAM then you will notice change when in heavy Texture usage area's.