Adding Mods Mid-game Question

Deathwing514

Question

Dear Step Community,

I have searched long and hard regarding this issue, but cant seem to find a definitive answer regarding my question at hand.

Many step members have advised that when your starting your first complete play-through, it is highly recommended not to alter your mod list in any way.

So my question in hand is:

Is it safe to add mods such as textures, houses, & armor mods that do not have any script mid-game in my complete play through?

Or

Will this cause issues such as CTD/corrupt saves?

I really want to complete skyrim and finally beat a elder scroll game instead of going halfway and quitting (I am talking about you Oblviion/mods)

Any help regarding this question would be greatly appreciated and I am eagerly awaiting for your reply. =)

7 answers to this question

If a mod does not add any plugins (esp or esm) then it is safe. If it adds armor or weapons and doesn't add them to the leveled lists then it is probably okay and won't be the reason for save corruption. House mods can go either way since some add in crazy effects and they tend to edit cells and need patching if you use other mods that alter cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll add, that also any mod that adds scripts is not inherently safe to add and remove.

Mods with only textures and meshes and sounds withOUT an esp are inherently safe to install, uninstall and reinstall, whenever you feel like it. Same goes for any post-processing or SKSE (if you don't use mods that require SKSE).

I always thought that adding mods was safe experience? Some of them, like levelled lists, new merchant items would need cell reset (either 31 days of waiting in an interior cell, best a vanilla player home). How can adding new stuff corrupt your game?

Removing mods, yeah, i can understand that even script-free mods could cause problems, new spawns removed mid game, levelled list items removed mid game etc. But adding new stuff and resetting cells?

::EDIT::

I mean, is there any proof, or is it only prejudice and exaggerated caution?

What I am saying is merely for those who don't read descriptions, cannot open up esps in TESVEdit and generally are just a little bit too scared to do mod themselves.

What I said is a general rule of thumb, if it corresponds to what I said earlier here, it is 100%ly safe, whatever mod it might be.

Any mod can be unsafe to install. Meshes may cause CTDs. Textures can cause pink eye. Scripts can give you ataxia. ESPs can give you bugs. ESMs can give you vampirism. Sounds may cause headaches. SKSE plugins may corrupt your saves. There is no mod that is 100% safe, just some that are safer than others.

Thank you so much for everyone that has responded so far.

Like roosrat, I have been told that removing mods could potentially break your game, but never found an answer with adding mods.

It is great to hear the community thoughts regarding this issue, and will help my understanding on which mods are safe to add mid game.