Assets (textures) get (sometimes) corrupted when installing mods

wolverine2710

Question

Finally returned to Skyrim. Used MO in the past. Reinstallled Skyrim from scratch. Frst used MO 1.1 and later MO 1.1.1. Followed STEP guide 2.2.8. Quite a few mods were new or were outdated. Updated them all. Yesterday all was fine but after installing new mods today I noticed 'purple' textures in the Helgen dungeon and when exiting the cave. Outside the purple textures were related to trees and LOD textures. Could track it to "Skyrim Flora Overhaul -- recolored pines and lod" (NexusId 141). Looked at the textures inside the mod and for all I got the following message in irfanview when selecting 'open': .dds can't read file header, unknown file format, empty file or file not found.

I checked the downloaded zip file and its fine and I can open the textures successfully. I did 'reinstall' the mod and after that it was fine again. Have checked a few files and some but not all had the same problem (so far 8 mods have problems).  Reinstalled two of them again and then afterwards they are also fine.

To me it looks that when uncompressing the mod file(s) and copying the files to /mods/ something went wrong. Afaik when it goes wrong it goes wrong for all files.

Questions:

• Has anyone had this issue before
  • Is there a program which I can use to check all my mods to see if it contains corrupt textures. Not sure if meshes and other assets are also corrupt.
  • Have to google for it but perhaps somebody knows it. Is it possible to point to a certain 'purple' textures and then get its name. That would make it easier to track done where it comes from (mod) and which mods I have to reinstall.
This is the first time since I started using MO in April 2012 that I have seen this. Any help/hints is very much appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Yesterday all was fine but after installing new mods today I noticed .....

Troubleshooting 101 - Check the last thing you touched!

I doubt it's a corrupt hard drive memory ... whatever!

Purple textures mean the texture is not there or misplaced - Flora Overhaul and SMIM (for interiors) have lots of files in many folders. Go through them manually and ensure you have everything where it needs to be. SMIM I know has had issues with fomod installing.. If you used external installer try the integrated fomod installer, or manual.

Thanks for the reply guys. I have used irfanviews thumbnail viewer to pinpoint the mods which had corrupt texture files. This was easy because of the 'installatation date' tab of MO. I selected a mod, right clicked and selected 'reinstall'. After that it worked flawless. I believe there could have been one mod with an installler. Come to think of it. Yesterday my windows system did have problems, all progs didn't react any longer and even shutdown didn't work. Perhaps that was what causing the mangled files. Anyway its up an running again. Skyrim is looking great again and its very stable. Will run some memory and disk checkers to verify memory and disk. Looks like it was a fluke of my system and NOT MO.

Still curious if there are programs out there which you can point to a directory (and subdirs) to check if the texture files are corrupt or not (as shown when opening them with a program like irfanview).