Few additional MO questions

Octopuss

Question

1) Why are some of the plugins listed in bold+italics? I couldn't find this anywhere in the wiki.

2) 90%+ of all the mods I have installed do not show correct version. Instead I see a date in red colour there. What's going on? I do have Nexus account credentials set so I thought MO would download relevant info... Checking for updates doesn't help.

7 answers to this question

1. Plugins in bold + italics are false-flagged esps. They act as ESMs despite being esps. Example is the Unofficial Patches.

2. If an installed mod shows a date instead of a version, the downloaded file didn't successfully obtain meta info. This is normally due to downloading the mod outside of Mod Organizer. Proper usage is to download through Mod Organizer, by which means Mod Organizer can gather the correct version information about the mod. If downloaded outside Mod Organizer, move the downloaded file into the downloads directory before installing, and right-click and query info on the mod first.

So 1) is normal and I don't need to worry about it at all? (would be nice to have this in the MO wiki guide)

Weird thing is that some (very few) mods eventually started to display a version. I have no idea how did it happen though.

How do I download a mod through MO? All I can see is a big icon in the main menu which is completely useless and simply opens Nexus in the browser.

I've just figured out the downloads folder. However, it's kind of useless, because I like to sort the mods into folder structure based on the STEP list. Apparently, MO requires the files to be all in one big pile. Ouch. Guess I will try to file another feature request.

I found one more thing I don't quite understand.

3) When I open mod's properties, there is a tab "optional ESPs". What does that do?

1. Normal behavior. Will add to wiki at some point. I guess I thought it was obvious.

2. Click the Download with Manager links on the Nexus to download through Mod Organizer. What do you mean this is a mess? The installed mods are sorted fine enough.

3. A mod with multiple esps may have several different versions, and moving the ones you don't want to optional esps allows you to keep the different versions around easy so you can just activate at leisure.

3) When I open mod's properties, there is a tab "optional ESPs". What does that do?

If a mod has multiple ESPs, like winter is coming cloaks, you can highlight the ones you don't need and move them to the optional section. That way only one ESP will be loaded.

2. Click the Download with Manager links on the Nexus to download through Mod Organizer. What do you mean this is a mess? The installed mods are sorted fine enough.

3. A mod with multiple esps may have several different versions, and moving the ones you don't want to optional esps allows you to keep the different versions around easy so you can just activate at leisure.

2) Oh that! I didn't think it was compatible with MO. I never used NMM and only heard bad rumours about it.

A mess, because I like to organize the mod sources into folders to keep track. This is obviously impossible with current MO downloads implementation. I do not like tons of files in one place.GSDFan Wrote'GSDFan''64810''1390631711'

If a mod has multiple ESPs, like winter is coming cloaks, you can highlight the ones you don't need and move them to the optional section. That way only one ESP will be loaded.
3) I get it now. I got confused by the wording, and maybe the two sections of the tab placement. Available should really be called "active". Thank you both.

So much stuff to learn all the time.

How does the problem "problem identifier" in MO work?

I installed mods exactly in the order STEP lists them, and for some weird reason, suddenly I see warning that say

The conflict resolution order for some mods with scripts differs from the corresponding esp. This can lead to subtle, hard to locate bugs. You should re-order the affected mods. The following changes should fix the issue:

Move Even Better Quest Objectives after When Vampires Attack

Move The Choice is Yours - main file after Even Better Quest Objectives

Move The Choice is Yours - Dawnguard after The Choice is Yours - main file

(I already have it like that, both of them!!)

Move Thieves Guild Requirements after The Choice is Yours - Dawnguard

What's even more weird, it only started to show up last night, but I've already had the plugins installed like that since thursday. I don't get it. And I don't get what's wrong.