wolverine2710

OT. Can anyone recommend a freeware backup software program.

Question

Off topic like I said. I'm going to fill in the section "Backup Mod Organizer files" in the advanced tab of the S.T.E.P. MO wiki. At the end I wanted to recommend a few suitable for the task freeware backup programs. I did a 1 minute google search and found these four links. 1 2 3 4.

Question:

What freeware backup system do you use for for example backing up your Mod Organizer files.

Why do you like/prefer that software

I think that the minimal requirements would be to be able to backup certain directories/files and having incremental saves (preserving space) and being able to restore individual directories/files for a certain date.

This post is not intended to start a war over what is the best backup software. I just like to have a list of a few good/suitable programs for the wiki.

Edit: Added the links.

10 answers to this question

I haven't actually backed up my MO files, but what I generally do is I use 7-Zip for smaller backups (ie: of a single section), and when I need to make larger backups (say, of a whole disk), I use DriveImage XML. I have toyed around with EaseUs Todo Backup, but I think the stuff it does can be done by 7-Zip and DriveImage.

Well I can recommend Paragon Backup I think the free version can do individual folders, haven't had need to use it in a while so I can't attest to the versions in the last year or so. I have a paid license for it Macrium Reflect here somewhere though because it was well worth the cost. I know Macrium Reflect doesn't have specified folder backup in the free version though. All of the EaseUS programs I've used have been reliable I haven't used their Todo Backup though.

What I do is about once a week go into my Mod Organizer folder and select the profiles folder and right click (I have 7-zip on my context menu) and say add to archive and then name it with the date.

I don't use backup software myself, but I get 90% of all my freeware software from LiberKey 

If you look at their database of programs (via pplications > browse catalog) or alternatively install LiberKey and browse from within that (there are literally hundreds of excellent software applications in LiberKey), I'm sure you will find a free backup tool there.

This seemed OK though I didn't use it for long then got Acronis True Image Home 2013 with my PC, but it worked fine when I did use it. Though was not long or detailed enough to say I'd recommend it.

SyncBack Free - freeware version of the ultimate data backup software

Check these out I've got some great tools from here and about half the stuff I already know is good software, so you wont generally go wrong, if you read the reviews.

Best Free Hard Drive Backup Program - Gizmo's Freeware | Find the best freeware fast

If you go with any recommended here just check it does whats required, as they usually offer a range of tools and some have different features.

I use Cobian Backup for my savegames and MO folder. Works well so far, and can be set to automatically backup every day at a specific time. Just make sure it's not going to do so while you're in game. ;)

Thanks very much for the input. I think that when I fill in the the 'backup' section of the wiki I show the links for 'best backup programs' others and myself have found and include a few specific programs which have been recommended by users.

More suggestions are still very much welcomed. :D

I'd suggest that the best way to backup files for something like this is copy and paste. That way you get identical files with "- copy" appended to it, which can be renamed to the original file if necessary. That's what I do.

I'd suggest that the best way to backup files for something like this is copy and paste. That way you get identical files with "- copy" appended to it' date=' which can be renamed to the original file if necessary. That's what I do.[/quote']

Yeah that's what I do pretty much, as I said. I'd say save space on your hard drive and cut out the middle man. Make an archive of your profiles folder every now and then (major changes - additions or subtractions) and you should be good to go.