Installing mods with MO, merge, replace or rename?

DICEROLL

Question

I have a feeling that I have messed up some of my installation because I was unclear of how to install them. Sometimes when I install a optional file or anything else, MO asks me to merge, replace or rename the file. How can I be sure I always choose the correct option?

Example from STEP list: Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 - Dragonborn users also install Dragonborn optional file.

I first installed EDT2, and then I installed the optional Dragonborn file. It asked me the same dialogue as I mentioned above, I chose 'merge' was that the wrong decision?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Merge copies in the files but leave the ones already there intact. Unless they have the same name, in which case they are overwritten.

Replace removes the entire mod and installs the content you currently picked. This should not be used for updates etc. since it will then most likely remove other stuff as well.

Rename.... kinda self explanatory I would think. :)

You can use rename if you want more control over individual updates etc. but it quickly clutters up your mod list. But that is personal preference.

Thank you very much for answering Aiyen :D and sorry for posting it in the wrong forum.

I don't think I did a 'Replace' while installing any mods, it must mean I Merged every time there was such a popup cause I didn't rename either. Well it's all very interesting and new to me.

As a rule of thumb: If you install a new version of the main file "replace". If you install a "patch" for the main file "merge". If you install an option (as in: mod works correctly with or without it), "rename".

"rename" is probably the cleanest solution, since it allows you to update the main mod and options separately. You can select "Nexus ID" in the grouping drop down (below the mod list), this will put main mod and options into a hierarchy so there is less clutter. You can currently not use drag&drop while a grouping is active.

Unfortunately since MO has no way of tracking updates for individual files from a mod this still requires manual bookkeeping.

Say you have

I. "mod A main" - version 1.0

II. "mod A option A" - version 1.0

Now the author updates "option A". One of two things happens:

a) The author imcrements the mod version. BOTH mods I. and II. will show an update notice although only one can be updated.

Afterwards you can increment the version of I. manually to get rid of the update notice but if the mod author later decides to make an actual update to "main" with the exact same version number you get no notice. This should be rather rare though.

b) The author does not increment the mod version. You get no update notice and have to find out about the update yourself. After installation there is no sign that II. has been update.

In both cases, during installation MO will offer you to install it to "mod A main". You have to manually select the correct mod (II.) and select "replace".

I too was confused on options of mods.  I was originally doing them as Merge because they did come up with the same name as the original main mod, so, logically I would think merge.  I did read thoroughly (perhaps I did miss something) but I don't recall the MO guide discussing specifially 'optional' mods and how to handle if they are the same name (i believe it talked about if unsure just give it a unique name).  So I guess my question, so I better understand the why is: Why would a main file and an optional file try to install with the same mod name?  Is that because of a configuration from the mod author which caused the mod manager (MO) to interpret the mod name given?

Another question.  When you have a mod, say for example: Tobes Highres Textures 1_2 1024 main file and the Tobes Highres Textures 1_2b SMIM Patch optional file per STEP core.  When installing the SIMM patch, it shows up with the same name.  Do we 'merge' in this case scenario (case scenario being the patch is not for the main file, but for another mod), or do we give it a unique name (safe bet)?

Is it always a safe bet to give it a new name so it's a new mod?  That's how I understood the post above.

Edited by edemircistep

I always appreciate any and all help members give me when requesting help. I did read that wiki. However, it doesn't answer my questions.  The page does state:

The Merge button typically should be chosen when installing optional files that are add-ons to the mod. This simply adds the files to the existing mod, overwriting any existing files

However, this particular scenario I asked about doesn't correlate to this.  The optional file is NOT for the main mod, it is a patch for a different mod.  Does that mean I should follow the same logic?

I guess my two questions are:

1. If I download (Tobes Highres Textures 1_2 1024 main file and the Tobes Highres Textures 1_2b SMIM Patch) aligned with STEP core; when installing both (main and SMIM patch) they default to install with the same name.  In this particular case: would I merge, or would i have the SMIM patch installed under a different name?  Remember the main mod is Tobes Hires.... and the optional is a patch for a different mod, not the main mod.

2. Why would a main file and an optional file try to install with the same mod name?  Is that because of a configuration from the mod author which caused the mod manager (MO) to interpret the mod name given? (because I like to understand how things work, not just know what to click and what to type and what to hide...)

1. You would merge. Replace would remove the non-patch files. Patches are optional. I personally rename such packages, but both merge and rename are valid.

2. The reason it installs with the same name is it is from the same mod! This is indeed different from NMM, which installs all optional files, etc., as separate mods. MO gives you the option to combine the optional files into the main mod.

I always, when unsure, put them in separate folders. Then I look at the folder contents and decide based on that whether I could remove one and reinstall it merging into the other.

And in your example with Tobes, I always thought that the SMIM Patch was actually patching the Tobes textures to fit SMIM Meshes, rather than Tobes patching SMIM

Thanks Double You.  I think I'm clear.  So what about this:

STEP 2.2.9: 2D Fixes: Improved Closedfaced Helmets.  Instructions say:

Improved Closefaced Helmets --FULL SET-- V0_9"

• "Improved Dawnguard helmets"
  • "Improved Closefaced Helmets -- Dragonborn Addon -- 0_9"
  • "improved imperial full face helmet - no cloth around the neck-"

Only the "meshes" folder from each of these files are needed, so none of the plugins from this mod should be loaded (thus, they do not have to be installed). The plugin from Weapons and Armor Fixes will be used.

So I'm going to install in this order, and 'MERGE' each as I install?