STEP/Skyrim Revisited newbie questions

youtoo

Question

Was asked to edit this post to make it more readable using tags. Ill try to order it better too.

Goal: Try to understand the Skyrim modding process and tools instead of just following STEP so I can possibly recover from errors. Already had to reinstall Skyrim once. I want to understand how all this works.

Docs I am reading/re-reading.

TES5Edit doc

Wrye Bash doc

STEP Wiki

Skyrim Revisited Wiki

STEP Forum post about adding SkyRe to Skyrim Revisited

Tools downloaded:

Nexus Mod Manager

TES5edit

DDsopt (have not read docs on this yet)

Wrye Bash

SkyProcer

Not Downloaded:

Mod Organizer: Just saw a reference to this. I have not looked at it yet.

Question 1: What is a Bash Patch and 'merging'

I am reading the Wrye Bash docs. Is a Bash Patch the same thing as merging? Does this mean I am combing a variety of mods into 1 mod. This is mainly useful to fix conflicts where mods make changes to the same piece of code'. Do I have this correct?

Question 2: Issues Setting the Wrye Bash, bash.ini to point to a non-default location

Skyrim is installed on an SSD Drive. I installed Wrye Bash on a big hard drive. First time I ran it it created the Bash Installer/Mod directory in my Skyrim Home path. The STEP Wiki says I can edit the bash.ini to put these somewhere else. I do not have exactly what I changed, but I changed the bash.ini to create these directories in my Wrye Bash install (on my big hard drive). Ran Bash Wrye and the directories were created.

Problem: Wrye Bash is still looking in the default directory for the Installer and Mod directories. When I drop a file in the newly created directories it does not get picked up. Wrye Bash only sees them when I copy the installer files to the default directory on my Flash Drive. I don't see any 'configuration' options inside the Wrye Bash GUI.

Question 3: Bundling Mods (possibly wiht a bash patch) so I can more easily add and remove them

Is it possible to roll a set of patches into 1 merge Patch and save that patch? STEP ha alot of 'steps'. I want to be able to save my work as I do it. So if I screw up and have to start over, I can then apply already merged patches. I could also more easily add and remove patches depending on what I want to do in Skyrim.

Question 4: TES5Edit in Skyrim Revisted

I can follow the directions, but I don't quite understand cleaning. One of the first step is to use TES5Edit on the DLC content (such as dawnguard) to create an 'optimized' version of these mods. From what I read, I thought 'cleaning' was when you patch and the patch makes 'dirty' edits, the TES5Edit goes in and cleans this up so its not as messy. Why would we do this on DLC?

Question 5: Is a Merge the same thing as a Bash Patch?

This is from reading several docs, watching videos, and reading forum posts. I am getting mixed up. When I merge, is that the same thing as creating a bash patch? This is just a merged patch? Why would I merge only a few patches together. Wouldn't it be better to merge everything into 1 big patch or possibly group them together, so its easier to keep track of mods?

Question 6: If I have alot of mods, how do I tell what needs to be merged.

This goes beyond following STEP. Will Wrye Bash read through all the mods and give me  a list of all conflicts in the conflict tab? Basically like a report. Then anything that has a conflict needs a bash patch right?

Question 7: How do I know when I need to 'clean' a patch with TES5Edit

I can read directions, but its the why that I don't get. How do you guys tell when and where in the mod to clean? Skyrim Revisited is very specific on which parts of the mod to 'clean'. Also, do you run the cleaner on the .zip file or on the mod after it has been added to Skyrim?

13 answers to this question

Was asked to edit this post to make it more readable using tags. Ill try to order it better too.

Goal: Try to understand the Skyrim modding process and tools instead of just following STEP so I can possibly recover from errors. Already had to reinstall Skyrim once. I want to understand how all this works.

Docs I am reading/re-reading.

TES5Edit doc

Wrye Bash doc

STEP Wiki

Skyrim Revisited Wiki

STEP Forum post about adding SkyRe to Skyrim Revisited

Tools downloaded:

Nexus Mod Manager

TES5edit

DDsopt (have not read docs on this yet)

Wrye Bash

SkyProcer

Not Downloaded:

Mod Organizer: Just saw a reference to this. I have not looked at it yet.

As I've already stated twice, you can NOT use Nexus Mod Manager with STEP or SR. There's a reason it's not listed under the approved utilities on the STEP Guide and there's a reason Neovalen tells you to use Mod Organizer in the SR Guide. Uninstall Nexus Mod Manager and forget it even exists. If you want the download and update abilities of it, use Mod Organizer.

Question 1: What is a Bash Patch and 'merging'

I am reading the Wrye Bash docs. Is a Bash Patch the same thing as merging? Does this mean I am combing a variety of mods into 1 mod. This is mainly useful to fix conflicts where mods make changes to the same piece of code'. Do I have this correct?

No. It can merge some mods into one and some it can't. It also does other things. Mod conflicts that aren't intentional are corrected using TES5Edit. If you're really reading the WB readme, it explains all of this. The readme is found on the WB Nexus page.

Question 2: Issues Setting the Wrye Bash, bash.ini to point to a non-default location

Skyrim is installed on an SSD Drive. I installed Wrye Bash on a big hard drive. First time I ran it it created the Bash Installer/Mod directory in my Skyrim Home path. The STEP Wiki says I can edit the bash.ini to put these somewhere else. I do not have exactly what I changed, but I changed the bash.ini to create these directories in my Wrye Bash install (on my big hard drive). Ran Bash Wrye and the directories were created.

Problem: Wrye Bash is still looking in the default directory for the Installer and Mod directories. When I drop a file in the newly created directories it does not get picked up. Wrye Bash only sees them when I copy the installer files to the default directory on my Flash Drive. I don't see any 'configuration' options inside the Wrye Bash GUI.

You didn't correctly change the bash.ini files and if they are pointed in the right locations and are correct then you might have to uninstall WB and reinstall.

Question 3: Bundling Mods (possibly wiht a bash patch) so I can more easily add and remove them

Is it possible to roll a set of patches into 1 merge Patch and save that patch? STEP ha alot of 'steps'. I want to be able to save my work as I do it. So if I screw up and have to start over, I can then apply already merged patches. I could also more easily add and remove patches depending on what I want to do in Skyrim.

There are no Patches in STEP...you much be talking about SR. Post this question in the SR Forums.

Question 4: TES5Edit in Skyrim Revisted

I can follow the directions, but I don't quite understand cleaning. One of the first step is to use TES5Edit on the DLC content (such as dawnguard) to create an 'optimized' version of these mods. From what I read, I thought 'cleaning' was when you patch and the patch makes 'dirty' edits, the TES5Edit goes in and cleans this up so its not as messy. Why would we do this on DLC?

No, cleaning is referring to removing Identical To Master (ITMs) records and UDRs. These are redundent records which are also found in the Master files at a higher level. Cleaning (removing) these records creates better stability.

This is from reading several docs, watching videos, and reading forum posts. I am getting mixed up. When I merge, is that the same thing as creating a bash patch? This is just a merged patch? Why would I merge only a few patches together. Wouldn't it be better to merge everything into 1 big patch or possibly group them together, so its easier to keep track of mods?

Answered this above.

Question 6: If I have alot of mods, how do I tell what needs to be merged.

This goes beyond following STEP. Will Wrye Bash read through all the mods and give me  a list of all conflicts in the conflict tab? Basically like a report. Then anything that has a conflict needs a bash patch right?

Redundant question...

Question 7: How do I know when I need to 'clean' a patch with TES5Edit

I can read directions, but its the why that I don't get. How do you guys tell when and where in the mod to clean? Skyrim Revisited is very specific on which parts of the mod to 'clean'. Also, do you run the cleaner on the .zip file or on the mod after it has been added to Skyrim?

BOSS is the tool used to know most of which mods need cleaning. SR goes beyond BOSS in some cases because Neovalen has examined the mods himself. You load the ESP of the mod and it's masters into TES5Edit to clean it.

Wrye Bash will merge a few types of records across esp/esm plugins when creating a "bashed patch". TES5Edit can merge some other types of records across esp/esm plugins when creating a "Merge Patch". These merges reduce (but don't completely eliminate) the need to use TES5Edit to create manual patches for compatibility among mods that edit the same records. Individual manual patches for compatibility, such as those listed in the Skyrim Revisited guide, can potentially be manually merged with TES5Edit but care is needed because of load order concerns and since the resulting patch has many dependencies.

I may have missed it, but when I was going through STEP and reading the mods, I started to add mods to my installers directory and rename name appropriate as suggested to get the mod order correct. I think I will probably do this 1 section at a time and then load it, so that my list doesn't get too big to follow and reduces my chance of making a mistake.

Question 1: Why do we need Wrye Bash for STEP

By looking at the guide it looks like Bash's number 1 feature is the way it handles Load Order and it makes it simpler to do this. Unless I am missing something , I don't see any 'merges' in the notes. What other Wrye Bash features does STEP use? As a newb its hard to tell from the notes which notes pertain to doing something in Wrye Bash. There is alot here.

Question 2: I see there are no patches in STEP? Lingo issue. Does this mean that STEP does not require you to make a bash patch with Wrye Bash or are you referring to something from TES5Edit?

Question 3: Is thre a good way to switch between mod setups?

Short of reinstall and start over, if I wanted to do STEP and play for a while, then 'unplug' these mods and try Skyrim Revisited. Is there an easy way to do this? Is ther a way to organize my STEP mods, so that once I do this 1 time ,if I have all the mods named properly and ordered properly in alphabetical Order, I can just copy them to my installer directory and click 'load'. I don't know if Wrye Bash makes a load file when I run it that I can re-use'. Basically so I can do this once and then have everything saved off to do again.

I may have missed it, but when I was going through STEP and reading the mods, I started to add mods to my installers directory and rename name appropriate as suggested to get the mod order correct. I think I will probably do this 1 section at a time and then load it, so that my list doesn't get too big to follow and reduces my chance of making a mistake.

Question 1: Why do we need Wrye Bash for STEP

By looking at the guide it looks like Bash's number 1 feature is the way it handles Load Order and it makes it simpler to do this. Unless I am missing something , I don't see any 'merges' in the notes. What other Wrye Bash features does STEP use? As a newb its hard to tell from the notes which notes pertain to doing something in Wrye Bash. There is alot here.

You can use Wyre Bash or Mod Organizer. These are needed for mainly how they handle installation order and recovery which Nexus Mod Manager can not do at this time. Using NMM you'll eventually end up with a corrupted installation and mismatched ordering of the installed mods. Mods are installed in a specific order. WB and MO maintains this order and the mod resources, even when you uninstall a mod. For example, you install ModA and ModB after it in WB. ModB overwrites files in ModA. WB will see these as conflicts but it's intended. Now you decided to uninstall ModB. WB will extract the overwritten resources from ModA and reinstall them in the uninstall process for ModB. This ensures the resources from ModA are maintained. NMM does not do this; therefore, if using NMM your resources from ModA which were overwritten will simply be missing from your STEP installation. This is the main benefit and reason for using WB or MO. As STEP changes and updates, mods are added and removed. Without the proper mod manager (WB or MO) you'd have to reinstall STEP from scratch every single update.

Question 2: I see there are no patches in STEP? Lingo issue. Does this mean that STEP does not require you to make a bash patch with Wrye Bash or are you referring to something from TES5Edit?

Short of reinstall and start over, if I wanted to do STEP and play for a while, then 'unplug' these mods and try Skyrim Revisited. Is there an easy way to do this? Is ther a way to organize my STEP mods, so that once I do this 1 time ,if I have all the mods named properly and ordered properly in alphabetical Order, I can just copy them to my installer directory and click 'load'. I don't know if Wrye Bash makes a load file when I run it that I can re-use'. Basically so I can do this once and then have everything saved off to do again.

Yes, but not in WB. You'll have to use Mod Organizer instead and set up "profiles". Each profile can contain a separate set of mods installed for that profile. Using these profiles you could have a STEP installation and a Skyrim: Revisited installation at one time and switch back and forth at any time you wish.

Thank you for explaining mod organizer and how to pop stuff in and out. I am taking this slow and reading through stuff in Wrye Bash and then I will get to some other tools before I spend hours adding mods. I spent about 3 hours last night reading up on Wrye Bash and putting files into install directory and looking through them. I work and dont get home till late.

I hope its ok, but I have some more questions.

1. having problems with Wrye Bash, bash.ini

i want to change my installer and mod directory to point to my E: drive instead of my flash drive where Skyrim is installed. As suggested I uninstalled and reinstalled. The uninstall actually did not remove my 'mopy' directory from the E: drive. It did delete my bash.ini that I created, but it did not deleted the entire subdirectory structure. With my next uninstall I will manually delete the files. Do I need to remove any registry settings? Does Wrye Bash install anything anywhere else other than the Skyrim Directory for Loader and Mods? An uninstall does not seem to do a full uninstall.

When I install Wrye Bash on my E: drive it creates a top level directory called 'mopy'. Is this a correct install? Just asking cause the name is wierd. The install seems to go to E:\mopy, when I select E:\.

I am not home, I will have to post what I changed in the bash.ini (rename from default_bash). I changed this before running, Wrye Bash for the first time after reinstall. I uncommented 2 lines one for installers and one for mods and changed the path. Ill post waht I did. When i ran it after the 2nd install, it did not create the new directories and went back to the old Installer and Mod directory in the Skyrim directory. The old installer directory stil l had mods in it and they showed up.

Either I am changing the bash.ini wrong or the uninstall does not properly uninstall stuff and there is Wrye Bash files somewhere else on my computer I dont know about and/or registry settings I need to remove.

My space on my SSD drive is very limited and I just want certain things on it.

Question 2: How do you know when to merge?

I asked a question like this before, but as I read more, I am still confused. So does Wrye Bash give me a report on which mods need have conflicts? Or do I need to go through it 1 mod at a time? Will wrye bash tell me about conflicts while the mods are in 'installers' or only after they have been installed. I think when there are conflicts I need to merge right? One guy wrote in some cases some 'conflicts' need TES5Edit. This is still confusing to me. I am reading and checking out Wrye Bash to look at stuff.

Question 3: How do you figure out load order?

How do you guys figure out the proper mod order? Is it just trial and error? What do you look for? If i want to add mods to STEP or Skyrim Revisited as I figure this out more, I am think I should following your groupings for order. However, what about overhaul mods like SkyRe. I saw a post on this and this person seems to add SkyRe after doing all of Skyrim Revisited. I play roguelikes and I like harder core games. So I like the mods that add challenges, such as Sands of time, the mods that add alot of bandings, Civil War Overhaul, etc... When I start to learn about modding, what do I look for to figure out where to add these?

I will backup my skyrim install before doing this so I can rollback. I will get step working and then backup the install. Then go from there.

Question 4: Mods that make cities look nicer

Alot of STEP/Skyrim Revisited mods are about making the graphics nicer. However, you guys doing seem to use any of the 'beautiful' city ones or enlarging towns, etc... There is an open cities one. I tried using these and I got crash to desktop issues when switching zones. I did this with Nexus Mod Manager. Do you guys not use them since they cause Crashing issues or does this violate STEP?

As an fyi, I have an i5, nvidea 7850 (or something like this) with 2gb RAM, and 16 gb ram. So hardware is not an issue. Also running Skyrim on an SSD.

I dont like to blindly follow directions. since if I miss a step I can't troubleshoot. This is why I am trying to figure out how this stuff works so I can recover from errors. This is the point to my questions.

Wrye Bash stores information about the mods including installation (package) order in "table.dat" in the "Bash Mod Data" directory (this directory is at the same level as "Bash Installers"). If you save a copy of this directory for each set of mods you want to use, you can do what you want if the versions of the mods used have not changed (you would need to update the installation tab in WB for each mod that changed). Skyrim Installation Swapper can be used to create and switch between different profiles such as a "standard STEP" profile and a "Skyrim Revisited" profile. It automatically copies all of the non-vanilla data in the Skyrim directory as well as all the directories that Wrye Bash and BOSS use. It's a lot slower than Mod Organizer for swapping profiles.

Another way to do what you want is to put all of the mods (including the standard STEP mods and the Skyrim Revisited mods) into the Bash Installers folder and using either alphabetic order (as you mention) or the numeric order column in WB setup the installation order for the combined set of mods. Although WB doesn't have named "groups" of mods that can be installed/uninstalled together, it does allow installing/uninstalling multiple mods at the same time. Using combinations of shift-click (for mods that are adjacent in installation order) and control-click (for the rest of the mods) you can highlight a large set of mods (e.g., the entire set of Skyrim Revisited mods that are not in your standard STEP set) that can then be installed or uninstalled. Right click and select install or uninstall and it will take care of the entire set, and it does so fairly quickly. This is typically how I handle sets of mods with WB. It's a lot quicker than using Skyrim Installation Swapper and there is no need to separately handle mod updates after a large mod group install or uninstall (since there is only one Bash Installers mod set and the mods are updated regularly).

Each time after doing this you need to run BOSS again to set the mod load order, but this is very quick and you would need to do this no matter which approach you choose for changing the groups of mods being used.

This latter approach isn't nearly as convenient as the named profiles in Mod Organizer, but it is quick enough for the changes I typically make and retains all of the power of Wrye Bash to show full details of resource installation conflicts.

Thank you for explaining mod organizer and how to pop stuff in and out. I am taking this slow and reading through stuff in Wrye Bash and then I will get to some other tools before I spend hours adding mods. I spent about 3 hours last night reading up on Wrye Bash and putting files into install directory and looking through them. I work and dont get home till late.

I hope its ok, but I have some more questions.

1. having problems with Wrye Bash, bash.ini

i want to change my installer and mod directory to point to my E: drive instead of my flash drive where Skyrim is installed. As suggested I uninstalled and reinstalled. The uninstall actually did not remove my 'mopy' directory from the E: drive. It did delete my bash.ini that I created, but it did not deleted the entire subdirectory structure. With my next uninstall I will manually delete the files. Do I need to remove any registry settings? Does Wrye Bash install anything anywhere else other than the Skyrim Directory for Loader and Mods? An uninstall does not seem to do a full uninstall.

When I install Wrye Bash on my E: drive it creates a top level directory called 'mopy'. Is this a correct install? Just asking cause the name is wierd. The install seems to go to E:\mopy, when I select E:\.

I am not home, I will have to post what I changed in the bash.ini (rename from default_bash). I changed this before running, Wrye Bash for the first time after reinstall. I uncommented 2 lines one for installers and one for mods and changed the path. Ill post waht I did. When i ran it after the 2nd install, it did not create the new directories and went back to the old Installer and Mod directory in the Skyrim directory. The old installer directory stil l had mods in it and they showed up.

Either I am changing the bash.ini wrong or the uninstall does not properly uninstall stuff and there is Wrye Bash files somewhere else on my computer I dont know about and/or registry settings I need to remove.

My space on my SSD drive is very limited and I just want certain things on it.

The default location for the Mopy directory is in the Skyrim folder, which would be on the SSD. It has <40 Mb, which is much smaller than some of the texture file sets you are adding to the Skyrim directory.  This is small enough that IMO you should put it in its default location and eliminate the additional configuration hassles caused by putting it somewhere else.

Question 2: How do you know when to merge?

I asked a question like this before, but as I read more, I am still confused. So does Wrye Bash give me a report on which mods need have conflicts? Or do I need to go through it 1 mod at a time? Will wrye bash tell me about conflicts while the mods are in 'installers' or only after they have been installed. I think when there are conflicts I need to merge right? One guy wrote in some cases some 'conflicts' need TES5Edit. This is still confusing to me. I am reading and checking out Wrye Bash to look at stuff.

The best way is to use the invaluable guidance provided by the Skyrim Revisited guide, and in the STEP forums, on conflicts. The WB Bashed patch report lists only the conflicts it has handled, and these are a small fraction of the conflicts. The TES5Edit Merge Patch handles some other conflicts but has no report. You can get a report from TES5Edit on all conflicts but it is bewilderingly long and you have no way of knowing which are important and which aren't. There is no easy overall answer for knowing when (and how) to use merges and overwrites to fix conflicts.

Question 3: How do you figure out load order?

How do you guys figure out the proper mod order? Is it just trial and error? What do you look for? If i want to add mods to STEP or Skyrim Revisited as I figure this out more, I am think I should following your groupings for order. However, what about overhaul mods like SkyRe. I saw a post on this and this person seems to add SkyRe after doing all of Skyrim Revisited. I play roguelikes and I like harder core games. So I like the mods that add challenges, such as Sands of time, the mods that add alot of bandings, Civil War Overhaul, etc... When I start to learn about modding, what do I look for to figure out where to add these?

I will backup my skyrim install before doing this so I can rollback. I will get step working and then backup the install. Then go from there.

Unfortunately it's mostly trial and error; you rely on discussions in forums like this for the experience of other users who have tried what you want to do. If you become comfortable with using TES5Edit you can do some of this with TES5Edit, but it's tedious and the best approach isn't always apparent even when using it.

Any mod that makes a lot of changes like the large overhaul mods run the risk of conflicting with many existing mods as well as stressing the game engine causing CTDs and other runtime problems. Skyrim has issues with RAM and VRAM use, as discussed in many of the threads in this forum.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled wrye bash a few times. Here is my current bash.ini that I changed. It seems to ignore it and keep using the skyrim directory. I need these patches on a different HDD.

I have 1 line commented out in each group. I did a search of my registry to see if there are entries that point to the skyrim directory. When I do an install I do an install for skyrim. I can get rid of that. I figured that just let Bash know that Im modding skyrim.

;--sBashModData is the directory containing data about your mods, ini edits,

; etc. If using MOM, mTES4 Manager, or other utility to manage multiple

; installs, you will want to change this to keep the Bash data with your

; saved games. You'll need to use an absolute path to your saved games

; folder, so here are the defaults and a few examples.

;sBashModData=..\Oblivion Mods\Bash Mod Data

sBashModData=E:\Skyrim Mods\Bash Mod Data

;sBashModData=C:\Documents and Settings\Wrye\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Bash Mod Data

;sBashModData=C:\Users\Wrye\AppData\Local\Skyrim\Bash Mod Data

;--sInstallersData is the directory containing data about which installers are

; installed by Wrye Bash. If you changed sBashModData above, you'll probably

; want to change this one too. Examples:

;sInstallersData=..\Oblivion Mods\Bash Installers\Bash

sInstallersData=E:\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bash

;sInstallersData=C:\Documents and Settings\Wrye\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Bash Installers\Bash

;sInstallersData=C:\Users\Wrye\AppData\Local\Skyrim\Bash Installers\Bash

did I edit my bash.ini file wrong ? Do I need to manually remove some registry settings? I noticed that after I uninstalled Wrye Bash, there was still a registry setting pointing to the wrye bash.exe, but I didn't see any other Wrye Bash registry settings.

I really need to move these mods to a different drive.

I just noticed that I am using the latest 304 version that just came out july 1st. this may be a bug in this version. I downloaded the 303 version from sourceforge and will try tonight. I looked through the source code and saw where the 304 version was looking at the .ini file ,but it only seemed to look up to see where skyrim was located and did not look at any other parameters. did a windows OS search and could not find anything reading the other parameters. I am not a python developer so I may be missing something.

Ill try the 303 version tonight. is anyone else using the latest 304 version?