Unable to use the console and unable to open my ENB ( shift + enter )

Hi guys,

I need your help .... up to yesterday, I was able to open the console using the ~ key ... today, I started a fresh new game from scratch ... the console was working fine in vanilla game cause I opened it as soon as I got to Riverwood. Started to mod my game, using the same mods I always use ( USSEP, Brawl bug fixes, Cutting room, SMIM, High Poly, Blended Roads, Skyrim 2018 + 202x ( by Pfuscher - all files as instructed by him / her and as I always downloaded them ), etc ... I downloaded some more up to ENB and SKSE ( about 25 mods ). 

I always test my game after I install SKSE and as soon as I got in, I could not use my ~ key or any other key to open my console or my ENB ( shift + enter ). I thought it was my keyboard but I tested it via www.keyboardtest.org and my keyboard is perfectly fine. I am in USA and my keyboard is using English. 

I deleted my game completely one more time and restart it. As soon as I got to Riverwood, I was able to open the console and as soon as I downloaded again about 20 mods ( the same list of mods shown above ), I could not open the console. 

Something ( that I cannot figure out ) is locking my keys. I checked my Prefs.ini and my controller and keyboard are enabled, so I do not really understand why this is happening and I am out of ideas. 

I also cleaned my game cache via Steam and again, I cannot open the console. 

If somebody can help me, I would appreciate it. I have not used the Bethini pie and I do not know if that file will resolve my issue. I do not believe that any of the mods I am using are the cause of the problem. Honestly, I do not know and the reason why I believe is not any of my mods, is because simply, my first 50 mods are always the same and I have been using them for years now, so please, if somebody knows the answer to my issue, I would appreciate your help. 

Thanks so much, :thinking:

1 hour ago, sopmac said:

Guys,

I am modifying my reply cause again, it is not working. I did rerun bethini and still it is not working. I do not know what else should I do. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Are you using a mod manager like MO?

Assuming it's some mod: Disable all mods and test on a new game. If it's fixed, then re-enable half, and test again, and so on.

If it's not fixed...

Assuming it's not a mod: You have some application repurposing your tilde keystroke, or some other mod or application is remapping your keyboard tilde key. Test by using your tilde (single back quote) key in a text editor ... or here: The console is actually invoked by the single back quote --> ` If you press shift and the tilde key, you get the tilde --> ~

If you don't get these, then you have something repurposing that key.

Hi,

Thank you for replying .... I am using VORTEX by the way .... also, I am going to disable all my mods and see what happens ... the very weird thing is that I have been using those mods forever and I never had any problem. Also, I have 2 computers ( Apple and Windows ). My Windows PC is just for gaming. I do not use it for anything else and I rarely download some applications but I have not downloaded any application in the last 3 weeks and for the last 3 weeks ( till yesterday ), everything was working perfectly fine, so suddenly, stopped working. 

I have the Anniversary edition of the game and I have been thinking if probably Bethesda is monitoring somehow the use of console commands and lock me out ... sounds weird and illegal if they do that but I cannot figure out exactly why this is happening ... again, with the same mods I have always been using. 

Here is the list of mods : 

- USSEP, Brawl Bug fixes, Cutting Room, SMIM, High Poly, Blended Roads, Skyrim 2018 ( + 1.5 and 1.6 file fixers ), Skyrim 202x ( all the content : part 1, part 2, part 3, Riften Parallax, Complex parallas for whiterun, Update file, 7 mountains, Blended roads retexture, Alternative wall 1 and Snow alternative ), Address Library, Origins of Forest, Folkvangr ( something like that ), 3d pines, Aspen Trees, Simplicity of Snow, RWO, RWO water transparent, Skyrim 3d plants, Northern Ice, Animation queue fix, Actor fix, Base Object Swapper, Blubbo Snow pines, Dynamic Animation Replacer, SkyUI, SkyUI Persistent Fix, Racemenu, Racemenu Hight Heels, Azurite Weathers II and iiENB for Cathedral and Azurite ENB,  ENB helper ( before installing this, I did install the ENB binaries version 502 and SKSE related to my game version 1.6.1170 from Steam ), SSE Engine fixes ( both, part 1 and part 2 to my game directory ) ....

.... at this point is when I ALWAYS test my game to find out if I can launch it via SKSE within VORTEX and when I did it, is when I found out that I could not open my console anymore .....

.... again, the question that I have been asking to myself is : why it is happening when I never had any issue at all, not even when I finished downloading 342 mods ( 185 plugins ) ? Why did not happen before ? Why is happening now ? And lastly, I have restarted my game fresh ( from scratch ) about 3 times in the last 3 weeks for other problems found with new mods that I included in my load order that I did not like and in order to avoid messing up with my game, I had to completely delete everything and restart all over again. The last time I did that was 3 days ago when my snow turned blue and walls in snowy areas also turned blue by using Better Dynamic Snow, so I could not fix it and I had to delete my entire game ( mods ) and restart all over again. 

As you can see, I do not believe this is caused by a single mod. I do not believe that there is an application blocking or remapping my keyboard. I have been thinking that there are 2 possibilities ( after eliminating options ) : 

- either NEXUS is blocking me ( I do not know if they can do that ) 

- or somehow, Bethesda is also blocking me 

.... it does sound conspiracy but what else could it be ?

Sorry to bother you with all this crap but I am out of options here and I need ( if you guys can ), help me to figure this out. Last resort maybe will be to probable reformat my PC and reinstall Windows 11 and the entire 9 yards again. This is very weird. 

P.S. This is important for you to know : after I found out that I could not open my console in Skyrim, I got into my Fallout 4 and I also could not open my console. So, both Bethesda games are either blocking me or remapping my keys. I have tried every single key in my keyboard and any possible combination, and all of them are useless. 

Probably CC content is connecting me with Bethesda and probably Bethesda ( somehow ) is remapping my keys ... but again, if that is the case, why is happening now and why it did not happen before since I got the freaking AE of the game ? This is very weird guys. 

If you can, please try to help me, I would appreciate it a lot. 

Hi z929669 ( SOLVED ) : 

Thank you so much for your help. I was able to find the culprit. I did what you suggested to me ( how dummy I was not to do that from the beginning ) .... the mod is : 

- Skyrim Priority SE - AE - CPU Performance FPS Optimizer ( by boring3 ) 

This mod was unlocking my keys. I am going to report it in the mod page so no one else will fall in the trap. 

Now, I have 345 mods loaded and everything is working as it is supposed to. 

I was very wrong and you were absolutely right !!!! 

Thank you so much once again for your assistance. :celebration:

• Like 2