Community Uncapper not reading its ini

DanielCoffey

Question

Hello folks, I have an issue with the Community Uncapper that I hope you can assist me with...

I have followed the large majority of the latest STEP guide and have got an issue with Skyrim -Community- Uncapper not being used when levelling. I should state up front that I have SkyRe and other Immersion mods installed as it is very much part of my preferred playstyle.

In my load order in MO I have SkyRe at position 229, the main Community Uncapper at 255 and a small "Install from file" package containing just my own preferred settings for the Uncapper at 256. I did it this way so that if the Uncapper is ever updated on the Nexus then my ini is preserved.

I made sure that the path for my own version of the ini in the .rar goes Data/SKSE/Plugins/ and the only file is SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini. The only version of the Uncapper dll is the one from the Uncapper download itself.

In MO data conflicts I can see that there is an entry for the ini as expected and the one used is listed as my own package. I can see that both SkyRe and the default Uncapper are in the "Also in..." tooltip so I know that my own version should be the winner. When I level up, however, I just get the one perk and the default HP/Stam per level instead of the values specified in the Uncapper file.

When I start the game I see the game version reported as 1.9.32.0.8 and SKSE 1.6.13.rel41. I also briefly see the Uncapper popup screen as it checks for an updated dll. When I level I only get the vanilla perk and hp because I tested it with temporarily high whole number values in of SkyRe's copy of the ini, the Uncapper's own ini and my custom ini. Instead of any of the values I had set in those files, I just got the vanilla single perk (and the standard +10hp for levelling).

This is obviously a show-stopper as the Uncapper is not being run. Is it perhaps something to do with the way MO registers that dll?

I really hope I can get some quick help with this as I really do like the way MO handles the virtual directory so cleanly compared to the mess that you end up with using NMM and this many mods.

==

Daniel.

8 answers to this question

You didn't mention whether you looked in Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins for SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini to see if your version was the one installed there. If your version is there and you are not getting the correct behavior then there might be a problem with Uncapper.

I have not used Mod Organizer before this week but I was under the impression that MO kept your original Skyrim\Data directory clean and held everything in its own virtual directory? The Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins directory does not yet exist when I look at my Skyrim directory but it is visible inside the MO Data tab.

I can certainly see the dll and ini when I look in c:\games\ModOrganizer\mods\Skyrim -Community- Uncapper\SKSE\Plugins\

Have I misunderstood how MO works? The large majority of the mods installed are certainly visible when I play so something is certainly working.

I use WB rather than MO, so someone who knows MO will have to comment on whether or not there is an issue with how uncapper reads the virtualized ini file. At least one other person using MO commenented on some possible problems with uncapper not using all the ini file changes that SkyRe suggests, including the change that provides multiple perk points per level.

Right - I have done some tests and can confirm that ModOrganizer does not present .dll files properly in its virtual directory structure when the game is launched.

I manually moved the Uncapper .dll into the ..\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins directory and immediately the Uncapper worked properly in game at next level up. It did read the correct .ini file as specified in the MO mods order. I moved the .dll back and it stopped working as expected.

I then realised that the new SKSE - Elys- AltF4 mod from STEP 2.2.5 functioned in the same way as it had a .dll and a .ini so I moved its .dll into the SKSE\Plugins directory too.

I assume I should follow the MO Bug Report procedure so this can be looked into to see if it can be got working or if a change is needed to the STEP Guide for MO users of those two mods.

It has been working fine for me since 1.9.

It only complained when there were those two small Bethesda patches in rapid succession (something to do with the version of SKSE the .dll expected) and after the second one there was just the single line in the ini file to edit to pick up the latest .dll automatically.

Give it another go - you should find it works perfectly.