Weird texture appearance...is this a Vanilla issue? How to fix?

drift123

Question

image.thumb.jpeg.ee05aca7d0e5e99493a4c9df31ff4e19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7cc30e77e03e16c8dd43f2be8d6feea6.jpeg

Does this occur in the vanilla game? Getting a weird texture bug but I'm not sure how to fix it. It seems to be that black char which doesn't display right on the wood. (I think the refid are for the wood/mist effect)

Edited by drift123

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, z929669 said:

My guess is that you are using a mod that rreplaces that wood and another mod that replaces the textures, and they are not compatible. If you are using MO, it's easy to track this down. Use MIC to get the NIF used in your screens. Search for the NIF in your MO Data tab filter. Open the NIF, and look at the parts that are transparent. Under the BSLightingShaderProperty, you can see the textures used. Search in MO Data tab filter for this texture, and MO will tell you what provides it.

When I disable High Poly Project and High Poly Project - My Fixes, it reverts to the Vanilla mesh and the black char stuff displays correctly on the wood. Is it possible to modify those textures to display it correctly? Because the High Poly versions look much better.

EDIT: I think I may have found the problem...the HPP My Fixes author says there is an engine bug where decals are not well-applied for high-poly meshes. I assume that black char stuff on the wood is a decal as well and its the same mesh choppingblock01.nif in this Nexus bug report. He says you can make a patch in SSEEdit to disable the decal...I might just live with it.

image.thumb.jpeg.859410ad6ab9aff0f634cdba05b9fe9f.jpeg

I also found out that I needed to download the campfire version of HPP - My Fixes as I was still using the vanilla version after installing Campfire. That's a different issue but I discovered it trying to fix this and also learned how to use NifSkope.

Edited by drift123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

That would be a texture that should have alpha not having alpha by the looks.

You mean the wood texture transparency? How would you approach fixing that?

11 hours ago, drift123 said:

You mean the wood texture transparency? How would you approach fixing that?

My guess is that you are using a mod that rreplaces that wood and another mod that replaces the textures, and they are not compatible. If you are using MO, it's easy to track this down. Use MIC to get the NIF used in your screens. Search for the NIF in your MO Data tab filter. Open the NIF, and look at the parts that are transparent. Under the BSLightingShaderProperty, you can see the textures used. Search in MO Data tab filter for this texture, and MO will tell you what provides it.