Fallout 4 LODs haven't generated correctly after STEP guide, no error messages given

Dobby061994

Question

Hi, I've followed the STEP guide for Fallout 4 extremely closely and got right to the end where I'm ready to launch the game and configure mods via the in game MCM, but when I walk around Sanctuary Hills some of my LODs haven't generated correctly:

https://imgur.com/a8IRllZ

You can see on the right that the hillside rocks and the billboard are both very blocky and blurry, and the electricity pylons especially are partially see-through and haven't fully loaded. Once I get closer the LODs load normally, but revert to this again when I move away, and just from walking around I can observe that pretty much all kinds of LODs aren't loading until I get quite close.

I've included every single LOD-related mod/resource and followed the STEP guide to the letter. I've tried deleting all my TexGen and LODGen files and regenerating them all from scratch using the recommended settings again but no luck unfortunately. I've also read from some other posts on here that sometimes this game doesn't like much newer hardware that it can't auto-detect? My PC specs are:

Ryzen 7800X3D
32GB DDR5 RAM 6000MHz
RTX 4080
2TB Kingston NV2 SSD
Windows 10

Would greatly appreciate any help. :)

EDIT: I should add that I didn't get any error messages when running LODGen either, it all completed successfully but the end result looks as described.

Edited by Dobby061994
Added info about no error messages

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Appears to be using lower mipmap level then it is supposed to. How many lod atlas textures are in textures/terrain/objects/Commonwealth? And what ini settings? 

I figured out what was causing this, it turns out I misunderstood the dropdowns in the terrain LOD section. I thought I only had to pick one, so I only input the settings for LOD32 thinking that would result in the highest level of quality. After realising I ran LODGen again using all the settings for LOD4, LOD8, and LOD16 as well and now it's all fixed. My mistake!

Perhaps a text edit in the STEP guide to clarify that all 4 dropdowns need to be configured would help people not make the same rookie error? Regardless, thank you for the reply. :)

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

I fail to see how that could cause this, so it must be you tweaked something else at the same time. Terrain LOD settings for the Fallout 4 guide are very close to default values, so missing one really isn't a big deal.

Maybe the LOD32 setting was input at all LOD# levels? But that makes no sense by the xLODGen options for FO4, which doesn't distinguish between levels (I don't play/mod FO4):

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Fallout4:1.0#/media/File:XLODGen_Objects.png

EDIT: Never mind, I was looking at FNV xLODGen options.

I now see that there may be some confusion between Object and Terrain LOD procedures.