Weird Whiterun mountain texture

TadasTalalas

Question

Hello guys, not sure where to post this, I got suggestion to to post it here. There is this weird texture on the mountain which looks too different from the rest of the mountain. Kind of looks like a problem. But when I come closer it's not changing so not sure is this even LOD stuff..

closer.jpg

farther.jpg

7 answers to this question

https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#In-Game-Screenshots
To determine if something is LOD, toggle LOD on/off with tll in console. In that case, also walk close to an object, so its reference with the full model is loaded in order to get its form ID and provide that screenshot of the full model in addition to the screenshot of the LOD.

Read the rest of the section about using console and more informative console mod to learn what the model, textures, form ID, plugins are.

What you probably mean by wierd, is what happens when something is set as a decal, so it keeps being drawn in front of things to avoid z-fighting.

In cases like these I suggest to start the vanilla game to compare how it looks. It probably has different textures, but other behaves the same way.

This has most likely nothing to with LOD.

The model most likely behaves like the same way in the vanilla game.
In Skryim SE most decals are set to not fade anymore.
The large reference feature also loads models with non fading decals further away, making the side effects even more visible.

The used textures are most likely replaced, causing a stronger tiling effect.

1 hour ago, Zanderat said:

I am having the same issue.  Screenshot was taken with TLL set to off.  It's mountaintrim01.nif.  Swapping it out for the SMIM version helps, but is not a real fix.  Thanks.

SkyrimSE 2023-08-19 12-21-15.png

It should be noted that Zanderat found this with ERM installed, so it probably is a vanilla bug. We're taking a look at a potential fix with ERM (TBD), but it would be good to know what mountain/rock mod @tadastalalas is using. I suspect MM, but IDK.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

It should be noted that Zanderat found this with ERM installed, so it probably is a vanilla bug. We're taking a look at a potential fix with ERM (TBD), but it would be good to know what mountain/rock mod @tadastalalas is using. I suspect MM, but IDK.

Yes.  I should have mentioned this.  It also occurred with MM complex materials version for me, as well.

This seems to happen with vanilla meshes too, but I added more rubble to this mesh, so it looks to have perhaps gone unnoticed in the vanilla game due to this. I have no idea what is going on here, but to me it looks like the rocks are being pushed into the rubble the further you get from them, so perhaps some sort of depth-based accuracy issue? It honestly kind of looks like detail is being faded out like *insert any modern game engine here*.

I already explained that the reason why this seems odd is because the decal flags of the vanilla full model. Decals draw in front of other shapes the further away they are, in this case the mountain bolders of the model. The model looks and works like this since 2011, in particular if decal fading is disabled via INI settings. In SE, the no fade shader flag is set on many models, having the same effect as the IN disabling the fading of decals. Without the decals flag, there probably would be z-fighting beyond some distance.

3 minutes ago, sheson said:

I already explained that reason why this seems odd is because the decal flags of the vanilla full model. Decals draw in front of other shapes the further away they are, in this case the mountain bolders of the model. The model looks and works like this since 2011, in particular if decal fading is disabled via INI settings. In SE, the no fade shader flag is set on many models, having the same effect as the IN disabling the fading of decals. Without the decals flag, there probably would be z-fighting beyond some distance.

I see now, and yes you did. I'm not sure why you are being ignored and this was presented again. I was made to believe it was perhaps something wrong that I did, so I didn't know your post was neccessary reading.