Skyrim Configurator- recommended or not?

peppergomez

Question

Curious if folks here use it. I know it's not listed in the STEP series of things to isntall. Sharlikran mentioned that he uses it (in his TES5Edit tutorial video). It seems a handy tool since Skyrim likes to reset config & .ini settings periodically, like after verifying local game cache through Steam.

5 answers to this question

I use it in conjunction with Mod Organizer - it's handy, as you can edit some ini settings with GUI rather than manual edits of the actual ini file.

If you decide to use MO (I remember you asking about it) remember to run any software through Executables section of MO.

Same as rootsrat, I use it in conjunction with MO.

I made same initial universal changes to the .ini files initially, then set them to Read Only

then added the Organizer to my MO list and run it through there

What I don't fully understand is:

if I edit my actual .ini files and then run MO, will the changes I made appear in all my profiles? (I think I proved this to be the case the other night but I forget)

Or does MO .ini files completely overwrite the actual .ini files (I don't believe this is the case)

And then, whichever the case is, when you run SC via MO, I wonder if SC .ini backups have the .ini edits from the MO profile loaded?

What I don't fully understand is:

if I edit my actual .ini files and then run MO, will the changes I made appear in all my profiles? (I think I proved this to be the case the other night but I forget)

Or does MO .ini files completely overwrite the actual .ini files (I don't believe this is the case)

And then, whichever the case is, when you run SC via MO, I wonder if SC .ini backups have the .ini edits from the MO profile loaded?

MO stores ini files separately for each profile (have a look in ...\Mod Organizer\Profiles folder). When you have a profile loaded up in MO and you run an(y) executable, the changes will affect only this profile. It will not affect neither the files from other profiles, nor the files in original Skyrim\Data folder.

I'm not sure about the back ups.