DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

On 9/19/2023 at 7:46 PM, sheson said:

The 3D tree LOD models use 1:1 copies of the full models. Whatever you see are probably effects in the game.

For context, the above was in response to my inquiry regarding perceived differences in lighting effects between 3D tree LOD models and full models.

Ok, the 3D tree LOD models from DynDOLOD Resources are exact copies of the vanilla full models, indeed. But...

When the 3D tree LOD models are merged into the object LOD BTO mesh, their BSLightingShaderProperty is not copied over. The whole tree object LOD node has its own BSLightingShaderProperty.

treepineforest01passthru_lod.nif | Tamriel.4.0.4.bto

image.pngimage.png

I understand some are useless/ineffective with LOD, such as shadows and animations, so are omitted in the BTO. I'm not sure about the other differences, though, whether they are significant or not.

Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

For context, the above was in response to my inquiry regarding perceived differences in lighting effects between 3D tree LOD models and full models.

Ok, the 3D tree LOD models from DynDOLOD Resources are exact copies of the vanilla full models, indeed. But...

When the 3D tree LOD models are merged into the object LOD BTO mesh, their BSLightingShaderProperty is not copied over. The whole tree object LOD node has its own BSLightingShaderProperty.

treepineforest01passthru_lod.nif | Tamriel.4.0.4.bto

image.pngimage.png

I understand some are useless/ineffective with LOD, such as shadows and animations, so are omitted in the BTO. I'm not sure about the other differences, though, whether they are significant or not.

Thanks.

Own Emit is removed because the color is black.

Vertex Alpha is not properly supported by LOD - it becomes transparency with a threshold of 128.

Env map is not suported by LOD.

2 hours ago, sheson said:

Own Emit is removed because the color is black.

Vertex Alpha is not properly supported by LOD - it becomes transparency with a threshold of 128.

Env map is not suported by LOD.

Texture Clamp, Glossiness, Specular Color, and Specular Strength are also changed for the trees in the BTO, so can I assume that all 3D tree LODs could adopt those (and only those) shader flags you mention and values for the four settings I mention here?

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

Texture Clamp, Glossiness, Specular Color, and Specular Strength are also changed for the trees in the BTO, so can I assume that all 3D tree LODs could adopt those (and only those) shader flags you mention and values for the four settings I mention here?

Leave the shader settings as the full model. If any of the settings causes issues in LOD because it slips through, report it.

1 hour ago, teadude said:

hi sheson. your latest exe fixed the issue :) what should i tell the developer for EVT? as i reported it as a bug on they page

This is about billboard placements on the atlas texture. The billboards you have were generated by TexGen, so they are good to use as is.

Leave the shader settings as the full model. If any of the settings causes issues in LOD because it slips through, report it.

So since you did not mention the other values in the BTO for Texture Clamp, Glossiness, Specular Color, and Specular Strength, I must assume that you agree these settings could be adjusted in the LOD models to those values used in the BTO tree shapes?

3 hours ago, teadude said:

hi sheson. your latest exe fixed the issue :) what should i tell the developer for EVT? as i reported it as a bug on they page

This is about billboard placements on the atlas texture. The billboards you have were generated by TexGen, so they are good to use as is.

I would be servicing this issue if the mod (EVT in this case) had an issue, but your response tells me nothing about the 'problem'. I must assume that the change you added to the test DynDOLODx64.exe resolved the issue and that the mod is not the problem here? Or are you saying that there are third-party billboards mucking things up?

So what was the cause of the billboard artifacts mentioned and the resolution?

38 minutes ago, z929669 said:

So since you did not mention the other values in the BTO for Texture Clamp, Glossiness, Specular Color, and Specular Strength, I must assume that you agree these settings could be adjusted in the LOD models to those values used in the BTO tree shapes?

No. I do not not. As I said, leave the shader settings as the full model. They should not be adjusted. Do not invent unnecessary or counter productive steps. The LOD model should work exactly like the full model when being used in the game directly.

38 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I would be servicing this issue if the mod (EVT in this case) had an issue, but your response tells me nothing about the 'problem'. I must assume that the change you added to the test DynDOLODx64.exe resolved the issue and that the mod is not the problem here? Or are you saying that there are third-party billboards mucking things up?

So what was the cause of the billboard artifacts mentioned and the resolution?

"The billboards you have were generated by TexGen, so they are good to use as is." <- That means the mipmap artefact was not caused by third party billboards.
"This is about billboard placements on the atlas texture." <- That means, the placement of a billboard next to another texture on the object LOD atlas texture caused the mipmap artefact. The solution was to fix how billboards are placed on the texture atlas.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

No. I do not not. As I said, leave the shader settings as the full model. They should not be adjusted. Do not invent unnecessary or counter productive steps. The LOD model should work exactly like the full model when being used in the game directly.

Got it. Thanks

1 hour ago, sheson said:

"The billboards you have were generated by TexGen, so they are good to use as is." <- That means the mipmap artefact was not caused by third party billboards.
"This is about billboard placements on the atlas texture." <- That means, the placement of a billboard next to another texture on the object LOD atlas texture caused the mipmap artefact. The solution was to fix how billboards are placed on the texture atlas.

So I assume you mean on the DynDOLOD atlas and not an atlas from the mod?

8 hours ago, z929669 said:

Got it. Thanks

So I assume you mean on the DynDOLOD atlas and not an atlas from the mod?

The object LOD atlas texture - in particular the one I requested from the user together with the txt from the DyNDOLOD export folder - was part of the DynDOLOD output.

Read the posts what was troubleshooted and what files I requested in addition to the logs.

On 9/23/2023 at 2:20 PM, sheson said:

From MO2 right window data tab find the billboards and make sure they are from TexGen output and upload them:
..\Textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\reachtree02_000b8a74_1.dds
..\Textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\reachtree02_000b8a74_2.dds
from DynDOLOD output upload
..\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Tamriel.dds

Also upload C:\Modding\Modlist Wabba\Tools\DynDOLOD 3 Alpha 128\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_ObjectAtlasMap_Tamriel.txt

8 hours ago, sheson said:

The object LOD atlas texture - in particular the one I requested from the user together with the txt from the DyNDOLOD export folder - was part of the DynDOLOD output.

Read the posts what was troubleshooted and what files I requested in addition to the logs.

I understand you want users to really read the documentation and your posts, but it's not possible to glean the necessary information requested without using assumptive inference unless explicitly stated. This is why we are both spending extra time on my now three follow-up questions.

The answer I now more confidently assume explicitly stated:

The object LOD atlas texture, DynDOLOD_Tamriel.dds <-- the placement of a billboard next to another texture on the object LOD atlas texture caused the mipmap artifact. The solution was to fix how billboards are placed on the this texture atlas.

Thank you