Skyrim Revisited GPU

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing... I almost forgot, if you get crashes/freezes going to Windhelm and some other cities/towns/villages where you get freezes after coc/fast travel/cell transitions, especially if it's snowing then uninstall wet & cold (which is super script heavy) and if necessary inconsequential NPCs, that fixes that for me.

I am not sure if anyone else has this issue. But I do remember it took me a SOLID 2 hours of time wasted to work out that this was what was causing the issue!!!!

(once you have uninstalled wet and cold, you'll find that you have a lot more head room for scripted mods.)

So is AFT better than EFF for followers? I haven't had any experience using EFF yet but AFT seems to be something of an unknown quantity among the STEPers. I have used AFT a bit and preferred it over UFO.

Garfink, I have some serious graphical issues that are plaguing an otherwise (mostly) stable SR install. I've followed Neovalen's optimization and am really not interested in the tedium of redoing it all (though I'm willing to drop some textures, certainly). Do you know anything about transparency AA issues or shader issues that mess up fences, hair, and other textures with transparency?

Nearox fixed his problem by downsampling but I'm a bit intimidated at the idea of doing that since ENB (I use Unreal Cinema but will look into the one you use) fixes everything EXCEPT my transparency AA issues.

One more thing... I almost forgot' date=' if you get crashes/freezes going to Windhelm, uninstall inconsequential NPCs, that fixes that for me. I am not sure if anyone else has this issue. But I do remember it took me a SOLID 2 hours of time wasted to work out that this was what was causing the issue!!!![/quote']

Yeah I won't use ETaC as it is known to cause CTDs when combined with other mods and I already unistalled inconsequential NPCs :)

Argh. I really want to use Inconsequential NPCs. Are those other "add random NPCs to Skyrim" mods any good? I used to use one that added a whole lot of NPCs, some with hilarious glitches, to all the towns. Whenever a dragon or vampire attacked them, it was sheer chaos.

I am planning to stick to EFF for now, Neovalen, as per your guide. I will definitely want to give it a good trial run before changing anything anyhow.

So is AFT better than EFF for followers? I haven't had any experience using EFF yet but AFT seems to be something of an unknown quantity among the STEPers. I have used AFT a bit and preferred it over UFO.

Garfink' date=' I have some serious graphical issues that are plaguing an otherwise (mostly) stable SR install. I've followed Neovalen's optimization and am really not interested in the tedium of redoing it all (though I'm willing to drop some textures, certainly). Do you know anything about transparency AA issues or shader issues that mess up fences, hair, and other textures with transparency?

Nearox fixed his problem by downsampling but I'm a bit intimidated at the idea of doing that since ENB (I use Unreal Cinema but will look into the one you use) fixes everything EXCEPT my transparency AA issues.[/quote']

Hmmm, not specifically, I can say that I don't use any addon hair mods,I find mods like apachii are good for screenshots but I think they look out of place in Skyrim。  I just use them realistic vanilla hair upgrades。  I think there is less issues with those。  As for transparency, remember to turn on that floatingpointrendertarget setting to 1 or you will get transparent textures everywhere.  I've seen the very very occasional transparent texture that is hard to explain.  For instance, on the pathway to Windhelm, there is a wall on the left hand side that is semi-transparent.  Doesn't cause any problems, so I ignore it.  But I've never had it with fences or hair though.

Otherwise I don't use AA, and have transparent AA turned off at the driver.  I may turn on edgeAA sometimes or even SMAA or FXAA and I've never had that issue before. 

As for the texture down resizing... you can do this bit last if you still have issues... but I suggest doing it first and test out your load-order first... then use high-res textures one by one once you are super stable. This way you eliminate a huge variable in your testing.

After all my testing is over, I intend to up scale everything one by one back to SR:LE levels and see what I can get away with. But if I never downgraded my textures I would never have reach my understanding of why my load order don't work.

One more thing... I almost forgot' date=' if you get crashes/freezes going to Windhelm' date=' uninstall inconsequential NPCs, that fixes that for me. I am not sure if anyone else has this issue. But I do remember it took me a SOLID 2 hours of time wasted to work out that this was what was causing the issue!!!![/quote'']

Yeah I won't use ETaC as it is known to cause CTDs when combined with other mods and I already unistalled inconsequential NPCs :)

Well, I have been testing ETaC with Better Docks and the patch for Better fast travel and I've had no problems, so far.  ETaC reinvigorates many of the towns, I like it.  I've tried immersive settlements, but I've found it a little unfinished for my liking, so I will wait till its more more complete before trying again.

As for Inconsequential NPCs, and even 3DNPC, I have found they don't conflict with much, BUT the added NPCs (and this applies to any spawning mods) play havok with Wet & Cold and Footprints.  YOu will get a script overload 100% of the time.

Try this:  turn on Wet and cold, install Inconsequential NPCs, use Alternative Start and spawn at the Windhelm docks, it will super stutter and then freeze every single time.  This is because it is almost always snowing at the Windhelm Docks, especially with COT + Supreme Storms, as you spawn at the docks, Wet and Cold's script looks for NPCs and there are alot of NPCs at the docks and as it puts cloaks on the NPCs, the game freezes.  BUT, if you uninstall Inconsequential NPCs, it decreases the number of dock workers and the game MAY load if it feels like it.  BUT the moment you enter Windhelm proper, there are simply too many vanilla NPCs and the game freezes anyway.  (I know some of you will say you have no problems with this combo, but this test is relative to the rest of your load order as well.)

When you uninstall Wet & Cold these freezes go away, even with Inconsequential NPCs and or 3DNPCs installed.

Without Wet & Cold, ETaC (or even immersive settlements) will no longer crash, as ETaC and IS both include new NPCs and if you have Inconsequential NPCs too running, the game will freeze after loading for the same reasons as Windhelm above.

Same thing happens with Footprints.  

I will be testing dynamic things later, it won't freeze because of NPCs but it does contain a running script that searches for static containers.  BUT, the mod is configurable, so it searches less often and only objects that are closer to you.  So it may be stable...  I like this mod... but once again, not worth crashes.

So as long as you don't have Wet and Cold running I have had no issues with Better Docks, 3DNPCs, Inconsequential NPCs and ETaC. Try it. It's magic.

Argh. I really want to use Inconsequential NPCs. Are those other "add random NPCs to Skyrim" mods any good? I used to use one that added a whole lot of NPCs' date=' some with hilarious glitches, to all the towns. Whenever a dragon or vampire attacked them, it was sheer chaos.

I am planning to stick to EFF for now, Neovalen, as per your guide. I will definitely want to give it a good trial run before changing anything anyhow.[/quote']

I have used EFF for a long time it is indeed stable, I stopped using UFO a long time ago.  As for AFT, its the one I am using now, I've had no issues with it and I prefer it over EFF because its got this ability that allows you to turn ANYONE into your follower!   Very handy for roleplaying purposes.  

Garfink you are a goldmine, sharing your experience is really invaluable to me. Yup I also disabled Wet & Cold as well as Footprints (and also Destructible Bottles to clear up papyrus log errors). I really don't think they are essential for immersion. In fact, I disabled a lot of mods that added or messed with scripts.

Just to clarify one sentence:

Without Wet & Cold, ETaC (or even immersive settlements) will no longer crash, as ETaC and IS both include new NPCs and if you have Inconsequential NPCs too running, the game will freeze after loading for the same reasons as Windhelm above.

If I understand this correctly:

- Without Wet & Cold but with Inconsequential NPCs --> ETaC will crash the game

- Without Wet & Cold AND without Inconsequential NPC --> ETaC will NOT crash the game

- With Footprints enabled --> ETaC will crash the game

Would you happen to know how well Immersive Patrols runs with ETaC? Do the pathways of the patrols/battles/travellers etc. cross or conflict with the buildings added by ETaC?

Garfink you are a goldmine, sharing your experience is really invaluable to me. Yup I also disabled Wet & Cold as well as Footprints (and also Destructible Bottles to clear up papyrus log errors). I really don't think they are essential for immersion. In fact, I disabled a lot of mods that added or messed with scripts.

Just to clarify one sentence:

If I understand this correctly:

- Without Wet & Cold but with Inconsequential NPCs --> ETaC will crash the game

- Without Wet & Cold AND without Inconsequential NPC --> ETaC will NOT crash the game

- With Footprints enabled --> ETaC will crash the game

Would you happen to know how well Immersive Patrols runs with ETaC? Do the pathways of the patrols/battles/travellers etc. cross or conflict with the buildings added by ETaC?

Your points:

1) No, Without W&C but with just INPCs, ETaC seems fine (tested for Iverstead, Kynesgrove, Riverwood, DAwnstar & Morthal at least) 

2) Yes, but you can use INPC if you want.

3) Yes, insert Footprints where I have use "Wet and Cold" everywhere.

I suspect that its not the Wet & Cold script that causes the crash, but the sudden graphical appearance of all those high-res cloaks.  Because in Sunny weather the game doesn't crash.  W&C must still search for NPCs but in Sunny weather, no cloaks/hoods are applied.  I suspect if you lower the resolution of the cloaks & hoods & whatever else rain gear, the game may become stable again.  But low resolution fur cloaks are **** ugly.  Thats my theory anyway, I have not tested this out yet.

Oh... and I have destructible bottles running all along. those papyrus script errors don't cause CTDs in my experience. But its definitely something you live without though! Good call.

Oh... my example for Windhelm applies to many other mods not just ETaC, for instance: Dawn of Whiterun, adds NPCs, with it installed, I sometimes get infinite loads, but without W&C problem is gone. Same with Better Docks.

The reason why spawning programs like Immersive Creatures can cause problem is not because the spawning itself, its because of the appearance of many more textures all of a sudden, that over loads the graphical engine, as well as the scripting engine all a the same time with the increase in AI numbers. So try lowering the texture quality of the creatures to pretty darn low and you'll find more stability.

I use ASIS and limited my extra spawns to 0 to 3 max. At these levels I've had no problems. If I did, I would go look for ways to downgrade the textures that spawn and that should help solve that problem.

So... it often comes down to textures sizes and the sudden appearance of the textures in-game. NOTE: my RAM/VRAM has never come near 3Gb with ENBoost, so that is NOT the issue everyone thinks it is.

For some reason unbeknowst to me, the sudden appearance of lots of new NPCs/object is a major reason for freezes (with sounds).

I always used Get Snowy and have only recently tried Wet and Cold due to SR recommendation. Same with the footprints mod (which I actually rather like).

Would you recommend using Get Snowy instead as a lightweight alternative? I used to just put hoods and cloaks on my followers for immersion anyhow. Stuff like AFT and EFF should allow that pretty handily.

Garfink: What settings would you recommend for ENBoost option:

VideoMemorySizeMb=

My system is i5 2500k, HD6950 2gb vram, 16gb ram, ssd.

I know about the formula given by Boris: vram+ ram - 2048. However I simply cannot logically see how applying 14 or 16gb to ENBoost would be of any benefit.

Currently I use

VideoMemorySizeMb=2048

which is equal to my card's vram.

What setting do you use with your titan? (and if others are reading this I'm very much interested in yours as well).

The upper limit of ENBoost is 10Gb... any higher value then that is not going to make a difference.

I use 8196 since I have 16Gb RAM and 2Gb VRAM and that is seemingly stable on my rig.

When in doubt use your VRAM. If you have issues try adjusting it a little bit. It all comes down to your machine.