Skyrim Revisited GPU

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm halfway down installing SR. I have a GTX670 2GB, and used the 1K versions of the big texture packs (SRO, Serious, Skyrim HD). The rest of the texture packs is a mix of 1k and 2k versions, and Snow & Rock (caves) even 4k (you cant chose a lower res).

I did a test run yesterday, and have an average vram using of 1300. Can I upgrade the big texture packs to the 2K versions? Or would it be better to stick to the 1k versions?

All experience so far shows that 1k is the way to go for all exterior stuff like rocks and plants etc. when you reach the end. This allows you to run skin, armor weapons etc. at 2k. If you do not want to do that but prefer prettier trees etc, you can ofc. use 1k versions of those and increase the others.

It is a matter of personal preference.

In general the higher the resolution of a texture, the sharper it will look even up close. Depending on the size of the mesh the texture is applied too.

Don't use Bethesda's HRDLC or if you do use the Bethesda High Res DLC Optimized listed in S.T.E.P. You can probably run Skyrim Revisited if you don't run the HRDLC and use 1k or more likely 512 resolution for most of your textures I'd say for armors don't go above 1k.

I could do mostly 1k with a 768Mb Gtx 260...but that was mainly only the larger overhaul packages, not all the smaller fine detail ones.

Experiment away with textures, you do not mess up your saves, and they are easy to replace when using MO.

• 1 month later...

I have 2GB cards but would definitely recommend 3GB+ if you can swing it. I'm only hitting about 1600-1700MB VRAM on my Skyrim Revisited install but it took some optimizing and no ENB use. Otherwise its up above 2000MB.

Sorry for the necro but I am really curious if you can tell me how you run SR with only 1600-1700 VRAM. So far I have installed everything of SR (except AV's) up till and including Armory-General mods (4.8). I have also ran DDSOPT for the big texture packs as well as for some other mods (like immersive creatures) which have save me over 500mb disk space. My installation has the low res version of all mods.

However I currently already run into the limits of the 2GB VRAM of my HD6950. Hitting 16-1800mb in most areas and 1950mb-2gb in places such as riverwood waterfalls...

Well first off each card and system is different. I may have one set of numbers while running an identical rig to yours down to our parts being from the same batch number and cloning your OS and Mod Manager. It's one of the reasons STEP doesn't have an absolute system since it's all so up in the air. The best we can do is give general advice on the minimum parts for baseline. Another is they weren't using an ENB and game resolution also plays a factor.

If you're using an ENB the newer version uses more VRAM than vanilla since it reduces the amount of RAM used by the engine.

As phazer11 says then resolution is a very vital factor in VRAM.

If you reduce it enough you can play the game with very high quality textures, however you will have many aliasing effects.

Also the new ENBoost feature in ENB messes up the picture quite a bit.

Thank you phazer11 and Aiyen for responses. I understand a bit better now.

I play at 1680x1050, 0x AA 16x AF, no ENB. Most of the time my vram is between 1700 and 1950. Occasionally, for instance at the riverwood waterfalls or overlooking the Solitude docks, my vram jumps to 2016mb. I assume the remaining 32mb of the 2048mb is reserved for windows.

Playing at 80-90% of vram usage in most exterior environments with occasional spiking to 2gb. Would the spiking be able to cause CTD's? Or are they mostly caused by long-term use of max vram capacity?

I'm running 1440p. And I'm using RealVision ENB performance version, but with reflection+particles+bloom+adaption enabled.

Outdoors/cities I just stay above 30fps with FOV 75

Interiors are above 50 with FOV 85

Big interiors like dragonsreach are slightly lower - 40fps - at fov 85

GPU - 7870XT not overclocked, 2GB VRAM. I have yet to hit the 2GB ceiling, and I'm using all highest resolution textures (e.g. 4k rocks) for the SR texture packs. All optimised as per SL:LE instructions, but I didn't even hit the ceiling with unoptimized textures (though I got very close).

CPU is a stock 1055T, I'll be OCing soon when the 212 evo arrives which could improve outdoor performance drastically - I believe Skyrim uses CPU for shadows.

All that said and done, I'd still recommend 3GB minimum - so you can have higher uGridstoLoad values. I tried 7 but it caused CTDs every few minutes, so I'm currently running 5. Also plan on upgrading to HD9970 - which is about GTX780 supposedly - which I'd say is minimum for the full SR experience at 1440p.

ugrids is not just memory.... with ENB it becomes a major performance hog, since the AO texture has to be applied and computed for a much larger area... it really does kill performance!

Higher ugrids with ENB is only for the highest end cards! Unless you are just doing some fancy screenarchery.

ugrids is not just memory.... with ENB it becomes a major performance hog, since the AO texture has to be applied and computed for a much larger area... it really does kill performance!

Higher ugrids with ENB is only for the highest end cards! Unless you are just doing some fancy screenarchery.

Really? My fps was barely hit when I switched to 7 - if anything the game felt it was running more smoothly. The only conclusion is that my CPU is bottlenecking Skyrim - but I'm definitely going to 7 once I get the 9970.

Or it could be the fact I'm not using AO for performance reasons.

But 3GB is really required to go above ugrid 5.