Skyrim Revisited GPU

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys don't mind me resurrecting this thread, what is your general opinion of my "lower-end" graphics card: Nvidia GTX470. I was thinking using the ~1000px textures in order to run a full Skyrime Revisited install with (optionally) a high performance friendly ENB.

My old gtx 260 could run fine with just 1k textures across the board and then even an ENB with a mild DoF full SSAO if you use the newer more optimized versions of ENB.

So you should be fine in that regard as long as you have more then 4Gb of RAM as well.

The difference between 1k and 2k is not linear. A 1k is about 700kb - 1.5Mb per texture while for 2k it can be about 3Mb - 5mb+ depending on texture type etc etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for necroing, but this seems like a relevant thread for my question :D

my configuration is as follows:

i5-2430m ( 2.4 dual core )

8gb ddr3 ram

amd radeon 6770m 2gb ddr5 vram

which is much, much less than what Neovalen had in mind for Skyrim Revisited, but running high details, medium shadows at 720p it runs TPC/tropical skyrim + many gameplay mods quite smoothly and stable ( I've experimented CoT + RLO + ENB but the fps hit was noticeable even without fancy ssao etc and I actually prefer RCRN since it gets rid of the gray vanilla tint perfectly imo )

I'm planning to revert to non-tropical ( although I'll use grassification + grass on steroids , fell in love with it after watching the COT 3.0 trailer :D ) , and I'm not sure if I should wait for the TPC update or just use Skyrim Revisited as the foundation for my next install ( or STEP actually, but I love SRO.. ) . is this project intended for high end systems only ?

If it's any help for people, I've got a GTX 670 and get a stable 60 FPS with SR + SkyRe and everything maxed out + 8x AA 16x AF in driver. I am mostly using 2k textures, sometimes 4k

With RealVision ENB it goes down to a stable 40.

I would like to add something I discovered with regards to displays and nvidia.  I am a long time nvidia user and have a 660 TI 3GB, nvidia surround vision only supports 3 or 5 displays.  You would not want to typically use two displays to play games on account of the bezel, but there are now 4k resolution monitors that sometimes need to be setup as dual displays, and that just isn't possible on a nvidia card, but is on an ati.  The same goes for multiple projectors, I'm looking at building a curved projection screen to get a 3:1 aspect ratio when we move into the new house, and the $$$ difference between two and three projectors can be signifigant. 

If it's any help for people' date=' I've got a GTX 670 and get a stable 60 FPS with SR + SkyRe and everything maxed out + 8x AA 16x AF in driver. I am mostly using 2k textures, sometimes 4k

With RealVision ENB it goes down to a stable 40.[/quote']

Do GTX 670s come in both 2 & 4 GB versions? If so' date=' that's probably an important factor to note.[/quote']
Ah ye forgot taht' date=' 4 GB VRAM[/quote']

@daZza, just curious what screen resolution are you using? That's another important factor. And I believe the FOV setting may also have an impact on FPS, since a higher FOV setting means more textures are visible on screen.

I have a GTX 680 4GB with full SR setup and 2K textures. I also use RealVision ENB and I stay around 27-30 FPS in heavy forested areas, but I can't use AA in the driver or it really impacts my FPS. I have AA completely turned off in the driver, although I am using 16x AF and I have all default RealVision 1.4d options turned on. I'm running on a 2560x1600 resolution though, so that may be why I'm not getting as good FPS as you. 

If it's any help for people' date=' I've got a GTX 670 and get a stable 60 FPS with SR + SkyRe and everything maxed out + 8x AA 16x AF in driver. I am mostly using 2k textures, sometimes 4k

With RealVision ENB it goes down to a stable 40.[/quote']

Do GTX 670s come in both 2 & 4 GB versions? If so' date=' that's probably an important factor to note.[/quote']
Ah ye forgot taht' date=' 4 GB VRAM[/quote']

@daZza, just curious what screen resolution are you using? That's another important factor. And I believe the FOV setting may also have an impact on FPS, since a higher FOV setting means more textures are visible on screen.

I have a GTX 680 4GB with full SR setup and 2K textures. I also use RealVision ENB and I stay around 27-30 FPS in heavy forested areas, but I can't use AA in the driver or it really impacts my FPS. I have AA completely turned off in the driver, although I am using 16x AF and I have all default RealVision 1.4d options turned on. I'm running on a 2560x1600 resolution though, so that may be why I'm not getting as good FPS as you. 

I'm using 1920x1200, fov 75. I recently installed Skyrim Grassification Project though and that dropped me to like 30FPS. Tried installing Grass on Steroids as well, but that totally ****ed my FPS down to like 2 - 5. 

Yeah if you drop in fps with that mod it is due to bad ini settings!

The idea in it is that you increase grass size, but you reduce the amount of meshes created... which translates into more fps. Since grass does not require super high quality textures... in fact it does not really do anything for grass so it is pure win win. I gained like 3-5 FPS which means I can now crank up some ENB settings so they look better.

Also the FoV should not alter FPS or memory use in anyway... the game is loaded on a cell to cell basis... stuff behind you is not unloaded everytime. Five cells are loaded in entirely every time. FPS there might be a minor hit since you can get more effects on screen at any given time which might affect the rendering speed... but I have personally not seen any drops going from default values to 0.85.

• 2 weeks later...