Terrain bump taken down?

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

The guide should direct you to the Steam Workshop you can get it there.

I subscribed to it with my steam login. That atomically downloads it, right? Am I able to arrange it in the install order? Or do I just need to hope that it didn't overwrite anything?

Unfortunately yes, Steam likes to automate things a bit more than we'd like.  And actually the bigger problem is that loose files will always overwrite BSAs, so this mod mostly won't show up.  In order to get the proper effect I suggest you grab the ESP and BSA, copy them somewhere else, and then unsubscribe from the mod.  Then you can extract the BSA and install them like any other mod.

I'll point this out to the other admins, this could cause a lot of problems if we start recommending mods from Steam.

Unfortunately yes, Steam likes to automate things a bit more than we'd like.  And actually the bigger problem is that loose files will always overwrite BSAs, so this mod mostly won't show up.  In order to get the proper effect I suggest you grab the ESP and BSA, copy them somewhere else, and then unsubscribe from the mod.  Then you can extract the BSA and install them like any other mod.

I'll point this out to the other admins, this could cause a lot of problems if we start recommending mods from Steam.

A while ago I put a sidebar note in the DDSopt guide about BSAs vs. loose files and the implications. We might want to copy this sidebar into other guide(s) (and revise it as needed).

I subscribed to it with my steam login. That atomically downloads it, right? Am I able to arrange it in the install order? Or do I just need to hope that it didn't overwrite anything?

Sorry...but do you have any idea where I can find the esp and bsa? They'd be in the data folder? I'm confused on what exactly a bsa vs an esp is as well. Do bsa's contain textures and sounds and esps only activate a mod?

Sorry...but do you have any idea where I can find the esp and bsa? They'd be in the data folder? I'm confused on what exactly a bsa vs an esp is as well. Do bsa's contain textures and sounds and esps only activate a mod?

Yes to both questions (basically).  A BSA holds all the assets: textures, meshes, sounds, etc; while an ESP tells Skyrim how and where to use those files.  They'll be in the Data folder and named the same thing (minus the extension of course).

Yes to both questions (basically).  A BSA holds all the assets: textures, meshes, sounds, etc; while an ESP tells Skyrim how and where to use those files.  They'll be in the Data folder and named the same thing (minus the extension of course).

So basically I just find the bsa and the esp and then just compress them into a .7zip file and bam, that's it? Just add it to WB and position it accordingly? I can't find anything in the data folder called terrain bump but maybe it's called something different?

So basically I just find the bsa and the esp and then just compress them into a .7zip file and bam, that's it? Just add it to WB and position it accordingly? I can't find anything in the data folder called terrain bump but maybe it's called something different?

Yup.  Then unsubscribe from the mod so Steam's not messing with your files.  To get it to download the first time you might have to launch Skyrim's built-in launcher, I just remembered that Steam uses that.  I also suggest you extract the BSA and install them as loose files for best effect.

Yup.  Then unsubscribe from the mod so Steam's not messing with your files.  To get it to download the first time you might have to launch Skyrim's built-in launcher, I just remembered that Steam uses that.  I also suggest you extract the BSA and install them as loose files for best effect.

Ok got the esp and bsa. How do I extract a bsa and install it as loose files? Again, if you could tell me or point me to a guide that tells me, that would be great.

Ok got the esp and bsa. How do I extract a bsa and install it as loose files? Again, if you could tell me or point me to a guide that tells me, that would be great.
We actually did make a guide for that one, here it is.  The first tab is all you need to get Terrain Bump working, but following the others couldn't hurt either.

We actually did make a guide for that one, here it is.  The first tab is all you need to get Terrain Bump working, but following the others couldn't hurt either.
Oh, well I did it a different way. I just double clicked on the bsa file and it opened a little window with all the textures. I then just did extract all and it put it in a texture folder. Then I just compressed the esp and the textures file into one 7zip file and put it in wrye bash. Was this wrong?

We actually did make a guide for that one here it is.  The first tab is all you need to get Terrain Bump working, but following the others couldn't hurt either.

Oh, well I did it a different way. I just double clicked on the bsa file and it opened a little window with all the textures. I then just did extract all and it put it in a texture folder. Then I just compressed the esp and the textures file into one 7zip file and put it in wrye bash. Was this wrong?

What program did the BSA open in?  If all you got was all the textures with no folder structure then you did it wrong.  That guide tells you how to set up BSAopt so extracting is as simple as double-clicking the file and clicking one button in the window that appears.

We actually did make a guide for that one here it is.  The first tab is all you need to get Terrain Bump working, but following the others couldn't hurt either.

What program did the BSA open in?  If all you got was all the textures with no folder structure then you did it wrong.  That guide tells you how to set up BSAopt so extracting is as simple as double-clicking the file and clicking one button in the window that appears.

When I double click on it, it opens a program called BSA Browser. When I click extract all, it creates a folder called textures on the desktop. In that folder, I see landscape, in that folder I see dirtcliffs, mountains, roads, and a bunch of other files. It seems to have done it in the correct folder format.