Sweepstakes to Enter!

TechAngel85

I can't scroll down to sign up or anything' date=' it's just an image clipped at the bottom.[/quote']

Interesting... have you "liked" Newegg on Facebook? I get a few of these sweepstakes a month from Newegg's facebook page so I thought I'd share. (have yet to win...:( )

Yup.  Using Firefox 19 if it makes a difference.  I guess I'll try later tonight. 

I always try to enter these blasted things whenever I see them, but I've never won anything.  Probably because everyone else does as well.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I'd probably try to re-sell most of the winnings in these raffles, but if I have even a slim chance of winning one and all I have to do is waste Google's resources marking the email as spam that's fine with me :P 

Keep 'em coming and I'll post any I find as well.  Good luck to anyone who enters one of these, gods know I need all the luck I can get :P

I'll second that, Farlo! I'd probably re-sell most of it too.

@Z, I have yet to receive spam from entering any contest that Newegg helped sponsored. I've enter countless sweepstakes and haven't gotten lucky yet. In fact, I'm still waiting on a drawing to win a life-size "Shepard" from a Mass Effect sweepstakes. :teehee:

I'll second that, Farlo! I'd probably re-sell most of it too.

@Z, I have yet to receive spam from entering any contest that Newegg helped sponsored. I've enter countless sweepstakes and haven't gotten lucky yet. In fact, I'm still waiting on a drawing to win a life-size "Shepard" from a Mass Effect sweepstakes. :teehee:

Yes, you are right about Newegg. They are OK. Rather, it is the comments about entering countless sweepstakes and not winning that bugs me. Like the lottery, I can say that none of us will EVER win, even if we participate in 10 a day ... probabilities remain infinitesimal. I never play the lottery either for the same reason (and it costs $).

I'll just keep sitting on the porch waiting for the bag of money to fall from the sky ... there is a tiny probability of this you know, and without any effort at all! :P

Yes, you are right about Newegg. They are OK. Rather, it is the comments about entering countless sweepstakes and not winning that bugs me. Like the lottery, I can say that none of us will EVER win, even if we participate in 10 a day ... probabilities remain infinitesimal. I never play the lottery either for the same reason (and it costs $).

I'll just keep sitting on the porch waiting for the bag of money to fall from the sky ... there is a tiny probability of this you know, and without any effort at all! :P

Agreed.  I know the British lottery has odds of about 15 million to one, and I like to think of it in terms of betting on a horse race.  To get a horse with odds of 15 million to one, it would need to have no legs, be dead, and encased in concrete.

My slight concern with advertising these sweepstakes is that they are essentially commercial promotions.  I know it's not the intention of the posters, but how do we fairly distinguish between these and other more cynical attempts to hawk things on the forums?

The difference in my book is these that have been posted are legitimate. They don't spam you from entering, they're free to enter...all that is required is filling out the form, they're not selling you anything or trying to get you to buy anything. Yes, they may "promote" a product or brand by it being in the sweepstake, but that's no different than promoting a mod and it's author just by adding it to STEP...just the nature of how that works.

I, personally, would never post anything of this nature that I wouldn't enter myself. I would also never post anything that would result in any harm whatsoever (selling of email, buy this or click this ad to enter, etc). This are just straight up, "fill in the form for your chance to win"; no surprises, no gimmicks.

I'll take my "1 in 15million" chance over a "0 in 15million" because if you don't enter then you're for sure not going to win. You never know, luck might shine your way on day... :thumbsup:

Yes, they may "promote" a product or brand by it being in the sweepstake, but that's no different than promoting a mod and it's author just by adding it to STEP...just the nature of how that works.

TBH, I'd say it's quite substantially different. 

Yes' date=' they may "promote" a product or brand by it being in the sweepstake' date=' but that's no different than promoting a mod and it's author just by adding it to STEP...just the nature of how that works.[/quote'']

TBH, I'd say it's quite substantially different. 

That just goes to show you how my mind works. :P

For example:

STEP adds WATER into the mod tables; thus STEP is promoting WATER and it's author, OpticShooter. However, we go a step farther and even encourage endorsing these mods and thus are encouraging others to promote the mod and author as well.

Now, Newegg runs a sweepstakes and tosses in a HP Laptop into the bundle along with other brands. Thus, Newegg is promoting HP (along with the other brands), just like STEP promotes all the mods; however, Newegg is in no way asking you to "go endorse it too" like STEP encourages. Although, from a point of view it can be said that both STEP and Newegg only says to "endose" it if you like it...putting them back on even ground.

So, looking at it from my perspective:

Both promote equally.

Both are free.

Both require some sort of "sign up" for participation (newegg the form and STEP to register on the forum to "participate"...else you're just an onlooker).

Both are safe.

The only real difference that I see is the subject being promoted. One is promoted created works while the other promotes a brand/company.

Now look what you did! You brought the Libra out in me. :P