Sweepstakes to Enter!

TechAngel85

The first difference is that Newegg's primary interest is commercial, whereas modding is fundamentally and expressly a voluntary and non-profit venture.

Secondly, STEP actually exists with the purpose of promoting mods, based purely on merit and no other consideration. That is very different from what New Egg is doing. The primary function of STEP is clearly welcome on the forum, but a proxy to the promotional activities of NewEgg may not be.

But the third and most problematic concern is that, by your reasoning, anyone who wanted to use these forums to promote a commercial interest would be welcome to do so, as long as they attract attention by offering a free competition with no strings attached. You can see how that could get out of hand.

The first difference is that Newegg's primary interest is commercial, whereas modding is fundamentally and expressly a voluntary and non-profit venture.

Secondly, STEP actually exists with the purpose of promoting mods, based purely on merit and no other consideration. That is very different from what New Egg is doing. The primary function of STEP is clearly welcome on the forum, but a proxy to the promotional activities of NewEgg may not be.

But the third and most problematic concern is that, by your reasoning, anyone who wanted to use these forums to promote a commercial interest would be welcome to do so, as long as they attract attention by offering a free competition with no strings attached. You can see how that could get out of hand.

I still fail to see the relevance of Newegg being commercial in the case of a sweepstakes besides it tying in to your third point. They're not selling anything with it and there is no purchase necessary to enter (no profit). They're in fact giving the stuff away (voluntary) ...most likely for a tax write-off, but that again has nothing to do with the users that enter. So first point is balanced from my point of view.

Point two taken, and I sort of agree with you there. Newegg exists to make money. Although the sweepstakes the do not, as I pointed out above, make them any money and is a tax write-off for them; it can still be seen as promotional marketing for Newegg (though I don't view it as adverting, personally).

Third point...I never said anything of the sort but I do see your point. General spamming/plugging of any company is most certainly not welcomed here on the STEP forums. However, I also don't view the sweepstakes posted as any sort of spam. None of them say anything about "buy from us" either so I don't specifically view them as advertising either.

I suppose you can say it's a fine line being walked. The admins should probably discuss amongst yourselves if these should be allowed or not. If not, this thread can simply be dumped. :)

Nooo problem lesson learned!

Monty makes good points and we should set a good example ;)

Thread moved to our new and improved "Gaming" forum, where such things can be posted and discussed by registered users and above only. Forum is invisible and unsearchable for all others.