Step Communications & Notifications

theblackman

34 minutes ago, theblackman said:

Why is that?

Bulk emails have become sort of 'taboo' over the past several years since GDPR, CCPA, and CPPA ... as have unsolicited surveys, robo-calls and all that. We don't want to 'market' to our members but rather provide unsolicited info only when necessary (e.g., site down, guide unavailable, etc.).

Instead, I have made the poll more prominent and posted a link from our Fb page.

37 minutes ago, theblackman said:

Why is that?

12 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Bulk emails have become sort of 'taboo' over the past several years since GDPR, CCPA, and CPPA ... as have unsolicited surveys, robo-calls and all that. We don't want to 'market' to our members but rather provide unsolicited info only when necessary (e.g., site down, guide unavailable, etc.).

Instead, I have made the poll more prominent and posted a link from our Fb page.

OT, but users do have the opt-out option from emails within their user settings (they also can set this up during signup). I don't mind emails from those sites/services that I've signed up for.

18 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Between bulk emails and FB, I'd posit that bulk emails is the lesser of the two evils. :)

In addition to what Tech wrote, I'd tend to view emails from STEP more like a newsletter I've signed up for.  You might find that some bulk email services offer a free subscription to non-profits, which means you'll have all the compliance stuff automated, in addition to the features usually included.  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, theblackman said:

Between bulk emails and FB, I'd posit that bulk emails is the lesser of the two evils. :)

In addition to what Tech wrote, I'd tend to view emails from STEP more like a newsletter I've signed up for.  You might find that some bulk email services offer a free subscription to non-profits, which means you'll have all the compliance stuff automated, in addition to the features usually included.  Just a thought.

We can handle all that via forum software. Members set up their settings for notifications during registration. Current members can find settings here:
https://stepmodifications.org/forum/notifications/options/

Archived