Skyrim Revisited Pre-Release Feedback

God... was running around testing a few mods and got lost in game... I'm really loving my final result thus far and I don't even have a lighting mod yet.

Realistic Lighting Overhaul (predecessor to Realistic Lighting with Customization) was just released! This has been a highly anticipated lighting mod. I've been using RCRN for a while and like it, but after what I've seen and read about RLO I think I'll be making a switch. Dragonsreach looks very well done based on my observations so far! :thumbsup:

It will be modular in its releases (intentionally) and currently covers major city interiors, but also includes a lot of fixes / enhancements to lighting (i.e. shadow striping, bad meshes, etc.). City exteriors will be coming in ~2 weeks.

Would you consider adding this one to your guide as a lighting option? The only thing I'm not sure about is whether TES5Edit tweaks will be necessary to be compatible with the other mods in your guide. I did have a crash inside Dragonsreach, but I'm not sure if it's due to RLO or something else. I don't know how to figure out what caused it.

Note, the mod author included the previous version weathers (Realistic Lighting 3.5) optional until the 4.0 weathers are released. Also the meshes included in RLO fix a lot of lighting/effects problems and those will continue to be updated in subsequent RLO releases, but the latest mesh fixes used in the mod actually come from here:

https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1499

There was an update to the meshes today and includes some extras that are not in the latest RLO 4.0.2 release. So those would just be installed after RLO to overwrite (or repack 4.0.2 manually with the updates).

The Load Order is identified in the mod. Here's what I did in BUM to get it up and running (listed in order I have them in BUM):

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Illuminated Spells.esp

BOTTOM: Shader Replacers

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp

BOTTOM: Shader Replacers

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - 3.5 Weathers.esp

BOTTOM: Extra Late

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - 3.5 Dawnguard Weathers.esp

BOTTOM: Extra Late

The weathers are supposed to be after RLO main plugins. I used "Extra Late" because I wasn't sure where better to place those, but at least they're ordered after

Hoping you'll consider this one! :)

Well, I have it up and running and it looks awesome.

Although I've dropped ugrids to load from 7 to 5, it still eats up all VRAM goes from 150 MB upon launch to 2 GB and the game crashes after a short time if I run or ride a long distance.

I'm running a 2GB GTX680 and I'm surprised that it can't handle this.

I've optimized the skyrim vanilla and DLC textures, and all of the Texture packs that I integrated were 1024 or 2048, nothing extreme.

I had the same problem with my previous mod install using the TPC.

Have I overlooked something yet again?

Having said that: Even with everything installed, FRAPS shows 60 fps when running outdoors. I've tried starting a new game without the SRO, Serious HD and HD2k textures, leaving me with about 300 MB VRAM and it still crashes in exactly the same place: When I get attacked by a wolf outside Whitehaven.

The last few lines of the papyrus log always look like this:

[01/26/2013 - 06:03:14PM] Error:  (000DC8E1): cannot enable an object with an enable state parent.

stack:

[ (000DC8E1)].lvlpredatorscript.Enable() - "" Line ?

[ (000DC8E1)].lvlpredatorscript.OnCellLoad() - "LvlPredatorScript.psc" Line 26

The Skyrim Revisited guide suggest that we use z929669's DDSopt settings per his 11/25/12 post #430 of the [WIP] DDSost & Texture Overhauls page (https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=15687#pid15687).

But his suggested settings is to leave the Don't Process Any Already Processed Files (DDS only) under the Ignore tab unchecked:

Posted Image

while leaving Skip Hash-Check under the Settings tab checked:

Posted Image

On the other hand, his post 1/06/13 #514 directs you to the opening post on that page:

z... way back on post #430' date=' you have some suggested DDSopt settings in the form of screenshots. It seems that the last picture isn't displaying for some reason. And I just _know_ it is going to be the most vital setting :) Can you repost or put a text description of what that picture shows? Thanks![/quote']

See the OP for details

which links you to the recommended DDSopt settings of the STEP DDSopt & Texture Overhauls guide (https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#Using_DDSopt):

--RECOMMENDED DDSopt SETTINGS (NOTE: any settings not mentioned here' date=' simply leave as default)[/quote']

which was last updated by z929669 and the STEP team on 1/23/13 and suggests the opposite

with Don't Process Any Already Processed Files (DDS only) under the Ignore tab checked:

Posted Image

and Skip Hash-Check under the Settings tab unchecked

Posted Image

Just wanted to point out the contradiction and possible source of confusion and maybe even problems, I don't know.

@Spartacii

z929669 has indicated that the Wiki Guide is how DDSopt should be configured now. It was updated after his Post #430. The only info in Post #430 that you would need to look at (because that info is not in the Guide yet) are the numeric values under the >>Behave >>Textures sub-menus.

Here are a couple other related posts that may be useful, which include links to the relevant posts.

Post 560 (z confirming the below post (450) is accurate):

https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=20100#pid20100

Post 450 (references Wiki Guide / Post 430 settings and also tips about resizing Normal Maps):

https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=228&pid=16394#pid16394

Hope that helps! :)

Alright, so I can play for 2 hours no issue but in one or two areas I experience a crash. Anyone else experiencing a crash running down the road from Whiterun to the Ritual stone?

Since someone mentioned it I tried taking out HQLODs... but that had no effect on this particular crash. Googling the problem I am not alone in this... going to try DDSOpting all the big texture packages installed in SR. Maybe there is a bad/corrupted texture somewhere.

Checked VRAM use - Under 2GB at the time of crash so that is not even a concern. Papyrus script looks clean. Crash is repeatable (same area every time).

Reverted to Vanilla, same issue, same place... ug. Time to check hardware... or I don't know what...

Neovalen - currently going through the install portion of mods and on two so far I've received a Flag in Mod Organizer I'm not familiar with and wanted to make sure they were to be expected. For both:

- Yngol Barrow Button Fix

- Better Skill and Quest Book Names

These both have italized names, slightly grayed out and when moused over read "[mod name] contains no esp/esm and no asset (textures, meshes, interface, ...) directory". The flag itself is a red X that says when moused over "No valid game data".

Is this a normal behavior for some mods or do I need to go back and fix something/this shouldn't happen?

Thanks!

Neovalen - currently going through the install portion of mods and on two so far I've received a Flag in Mod Organizer I'm not familiar with and wanted to make sure they were to be expected. For both:

- Yngol Barrow Button Fix

- Better Skill and Quest Book Names

These both have italized names, slightly grayed out and when moused over read "[mod name] contains no esp/esm and no asset (textures, meshes, interface, ...) directory". The flag itself is a red X that says when moused over "No valid game data".

Is this a normal behavior for some mods or do I need to go back and fix something/this shouldn't happen?

Thanks!

Go back, that should not occur. The esp files may have ended up in your override folder.

If so, simply go to /overwrite and copy the esp files back to their respective /mods/ folder.

Yeah, the ESPs are all in my overwrite folder. I must have missed this in an earlier part of the guide or just from being new to this; when I use TES5Edit to make a change, do I need to grab the .esp every time from the overwrite folder and move it into the respective mod folder?

Thanks much.

*edit*

Also, I just noticed 3 main ESMs in that overwrite directory that I thought weren't supposed to replace the mains in Skyrim/Data. In the MO/overwrite remain Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm and Update.esm. They're all slightly smaller that the ones in Skyrim/Data...should I be replacing those as well?

Thanks again.

Yeah, the ESPs are all in my overwrite folder. I must have missed this in an earlier part of the guide or just from being new to this; when I use TES5Edit to make a change, do I need to grab the .esp every time from the overwrite folder and move it into the respective mod folder?

Thanks much.

*edit*

Also, I just noticed 3 main ESMs in that overwrite directory that I thought weren't supposed to replace the mains in Skyrim/Data. In the MO/overwrite remain Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm and Update.esm. They're all slightly smaller that the ones in Skyrim/Data...should I be replacing those as well?

Thanks again.

A) They won't end up in your overwrite folder if using MO 12.5 so make sure your using the correct version.

B) Leave the 3 ESMs in the overwrite directory. :)

Hey Neo,

some time ago I was doing a whole lot of stuff about buggy vanilla. It'll probably be your savegame. I had the problem, that I couldn't for the love of god get across a certain spot inbetween riverwood and whiterun. Start a new game with SR active and check whether you still have this problem, if you do, try to go back to a complete vanilla install (no unofficial patches, no optimized bsa's or whatsoever, vanilla ini-configs). It should not be possible to replicate the crash on a new game, but probably on an old game.

Also it might be helpful to first check what a papyrus log file states on what the engine was doing before the crash.

Hey Neo,

some time ago I was doing a whole lot of stuff about buggy vanilla. It'll probably be your savegame. I had the problem, that I couldn't for the love of god get across a certain spot inbetween riverwood and whiterun. Start a new game with SR active and check whether you still have this problem, if you do, try to go back to a complete vanilla install (no unofficial patches, no optimized bsa's or whatsoever, vanilla ini-configs). It should not be possible to replicate the crash on a new game, but probably on an old game.

Also it might be helpful to first check what a papyrus log file states on what the engine was doing before the crash.

Reverted to Vanilla - New Game - CTD.

Tried disabling SLI... CTD.

CPU %/Temp - VRAM/Temp - etc all good. I'm almost out of options and it's in the SAME DAMNED PLACE every time... ug... I'll see if I can come up with something.

I did a quick experiment - loaded up full SR save - walked to the crash location.. Papyrus log is EMPTY after the initialization junk. So nothing is spamming hey look at me!

Another experiment: loaded up that same save... walked AROUND the ritual stone (i.e. to the back side) and no CTD.... it's just that one part of the road.

EDIT:

I fixed it... I don't even know how. Loaded up my problem save... avoided the area for a short while... noted BLACK textures on certain objects that were fine previously. SAVED so I could find the problem texture.... reloaded and they were FINE... (ok thats wierd I know).... walked up to Ritual Stone... NO CRASH. Someone had said previously that the SKSE high resolution warpaints were causing random black faces... maybe it also causes other corruption... going to remove that tweak and see if something comes up.