Thank you, and a few questions.

Fenric

Question

Hello,

I recently picked up the Legendary edition of Skyrim after having only played it a little around the time it launched.  I am absolutely amazed by everything the fan community has done with this game, from game changing mods and redone textures, to utilities like SKSE and ENB that expand the capabilities of the game.  I just want to say thanks for making a great game even greater.

I started modding Skyrim using various mods I heard were good, with various degrees of CTDs and other issues.  Eventually I learned of the STEP Project, and now have most of it installed (I skipped a few things that didn't appeal to me, but not much).  I also added mods not in the project that I wanted to use, and am currently using the Rampage ENB preset.  

I have a few things I'm still wondering about.  I sometimes stream while playing and today after about 3 hours I got an error that Windows was low on memory and to close Skyrim.  Windows either closed it regardless of me clicking Cancel, or the popup made the game CTD.  Before this I'd done a 7 hour stream with no issues, but I have changed/added some mods since then.

I'm on Windows 10 with a i7 4790k 16GB RAM and a 980Ti.  I haven't monitored my VRAM usage.  Would I get a significant improvement in performance if I reinstall Windows 7 just for Skyrim?  As mentioned above I'm using Rampage ENB, which is a rather demanding ENB I believe, and I get 45-60fps depending on location.

I'll try to do some more testing with streaming.  I can't say if the memory warning today was a fluke or will keep happening, since I'd done a much longer stream before.  When streaming I have the game, OBS, Chrome with a tab or two, and the various utilities for the computer plus steam (with the overlay disabled) running.

On a side note, has anyone tried Ultimate Dragons by tktk https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/55206/? with the STEP mod setup?  I haven't tried any mods related to dragons yet and this looks good.  I've been so busy getting everything installed and configured / testing / CTDing that I haven't got far enough to really test a dragon mod.

Edited by Fenric

9 answers to this question

I would NEVER have a browser running while playing Skyrim. If I happen to need one temporarily then I might pop it up, use it and close before going back to Skyrim again.

Why's that?  I use it to watch stream chat.  I do have Chatty as well which I'm sure is much lighter weight than Chrome.

Regarding Ultimate Dragons, I ran into my first random one.  It was different that's for sure.  I'm not sure if the mod makes them not take flight once they land or the chance is just really low.  It kind of landed at a weird angle on a hill, and I stood behind its wing and whacked away at it.  It never turned to face me but still had attacks that could hit me, tail swipes and some kind of aoe shout/spell.  Need to find more to test.

Browser open doesn't matter much. Mine is always open when I play or am working in the CK.

Your issue is your OS. Win 10 only allows up to 4GB for DX9. That means Skyrim can only use 4GB of RAM.

So I'm going to a little off topic from the OP. I also have Windows 10. At only 4GB of RAM available for DX9, does this mean that I only meet the minimum requirements for the STEP format? And if that is the case, do I need to stick to low-end settings when available on the core mods?

Edited by TheOtherRick

So I'm going to a little off topic from the OP. I also have Windows 10. At only 4GB of RAM available for DX9, does this mean that I only meet the minimum requirements for the STEP format? And if that is the case, do I need to stick to low-end settings when available on the core mods?

I'm assuming you mean 4GB VRAM?  If so you should be fine to use the recommended quality textures which I recall was mostly 2k and some 1k.