SR:LE, Extended, and Beyond; An Attempt to Understand and Improve

So.. after a preliminary look at all of the texture packs, one thing has become apparent. Each of these texture packs seem to focus quality on specific areas. I don't really want to evaluate every single individual texture from each pack without having some sort of utility to show them all side-by-side in a properly rendered way, so I think I will separate my evaluation into regions and then further separate those few textures that are massively used everywhere.

What's more, I'm going to build a screenshot gallery to show the differences in these regions.

Does anyone know a console command to show your current coordinates and orientation, then also one to teleport you to a specific coordinates and orientation?

----

A quick update on Tamriel Reloaded: it falls into the same category as Vanilla, SRO, and Skyrim Noble with partial parallax support. 

Edited by Electrocutor

So... quick update on my texture pack evaluation...

The only texture packs that are done right for parallax are Vivid Landscapes and SkyrimHD Tribute. All of the others are chuck full of things like blank _p parallax maps, blank _n normal maps, incorrect bit displacement, incorrect alpha, and all sorts of other nonsense. This means that even if the texture itself looks nice, it's ruined by other unfinished files that are included in the texture pack.

Here's a quick example:

Noble Skyrim Texture + Noble Skyrim Normal + Project Parallax Remastered Parallax:

https://i.imgur.com/hWzSiCP.jpg

Noble Skyrim Texture + Noble Skyrim Normal + SkyrimHD Tribute Parallax:

https://i.imgur.com/myqtYxW.jpg

Noble Skyrim Texture + SkyrimHD Tribute Normal + SkyrimHD Tribute Parallax:

https://i.imgur.com/lQABDrB.jpg

Basically, this means I will have to further break up texture packs into texture, normal, and parallax files; figure out which ones match and which don't, and evaluate various combinations of the ones that match.

Edited by Electrocutor

So... quick update on my texture pack evaluation...

The only texture packs that are done right for parallax are Vivid Landscapes and SkyrimHD Tribute. All of the others are chuck full of things like blank _p parallax maps, blank _n normal maps, incorrect bit displacement, incorrect alpha, and all sorts of other nonsense. This means that even if the texture itself looks nice, it's ruined by other unfinished files that are included in the texture pack.

Here's a quick example:

Noble Skyrim Texture + Noble Skyrim Normal + Project Parallax Remastered Parallax:

https://i.imgur.com/hWzSiCP.jpg

Noble Skyrim Texture + Noble Skyrim Normal + SkyrimHD Tribute Parallax:

https://i.imgur.com/myqtYxW.jpg

Noble Skyrim Texture + SkyrimHD Tribute Normal + SkyrimHD Tribute Parallax:

https://i.imgur.com/lQABDrB.jpg

Basically, this means I will have to further break up texture packs into texture, normal, and parallax files; figure out which ones match and which don't, and evaluate various combinations of the ones that match.

I don't envy you that one, I had to do that a lot for many of the mods currently in SRLE. Chances are it'll never be 100% unless you have a ton of spare time.

Looking at your screenshot

Noble Skyrim Texture + SkyrimHD Tribute Normal + SkyrimHD Tribute Parallax seem is quite nice worthy of consideration om my part.

can I ask which files did you choose from Skyrim HD - Terrain Parallax Tribute?

road01 from Noble, road01_n from Tribute, road01_p from tribute

I'm going to build a database of which textures have matching patterns from which texture packs. To save on time, any that match I will just automatically use the normal and texture from Tribute when evaluating them.

Pfuscher's stuff is dramatically messed up, so I may just remove it from evaluation completely.

I don't envy you that one, I had to do that a lot for many of the mods currently in SRLE. Chances are it'll never be 100% unless you have a ton of spare time.

Until I'm finished, I'd suggest the best/quickest solution would be for you to switch out SRO + Project Parallax for SkyrimHD Tribute as your base texture mod; or at the very least put SkyrimHD Tribute immediately after SRO+Parallax to override everything it can (which is about half I think).

Until I'm finished, I'd suggest the best/quickest solution would be for you to switch out SRO + Project Parallax for SkyrimHD Tribute as your base texture mod; or at the very least put SkyrimHD Tribute immediately after SRO+Parallax to override everything it can (which is about half I think).

Problem for me is, I'm not a fan of Skyrim HD itself... but seeing as Skyrim HD Tribute is landscape only it might be ok. Will try to carve out some time and look. Biggest problem will be how it blends with SRO.

Problem for me is, I'm not a fan of Skyrim HD itself... but seeing as Skyrim HD Tribute is landscape only it might be ok. Will try to carve out some time and look. Biggest problem will be how it blends with SRO.

Well, you can try just installing SkyrimHD Tribute alone, without SkyrimHD and see if SRO + SkyrimHD Tribute mesh well.

road01 from Noble, road01_n from Tribute, road01_p from tribute

I'm going to build a database of which textures have matching patterns from which texture packs. To save on time, any that match I will just automatically use the normal and texture from Tribute when evaluating them.

Pfuscher's stuff is dramatically messed up, so I may just remove it from evaluation completely.

It funny that last year I was thinking about using both NobleSkyrimHD and Skyrim Tribute Parallax together too.  I guess I was right about how awesome it would look together lol.

Edited by nappilydeestruction

I saw that, but I looked through the code that and am unfamiliar with how I could extract what I need from it to build an ESP SDK. I only know c, c++, c#, vb, and java.

For now, this utility can only work by assuming standardized directory structure and file names of the textures; everything that is not standard or has changed texture names within ESPs won't be right. It's a start at least...

LWIS6kN.jpg

Edited by Electrocutor