STEP Extended: Favorited gear being marked as quest items

Librari

Question

Sometimes when I favorite items, I hear a sound like it's rapidly being unequipped and reequipped, the favorite star symbol vanishes and reappears, and then the items are turned into quest items and I can't remove them from my inventory.  On a few occasions, attempting to favorite items has caused them to be dropped from my inventory entirely!  I've been able to make an item no longer have the quest item status on a couple of occasions, but haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what I did to fix the problem.  Is this a problem anyone else is having?  I've been messing about with Complete Crafting Overhaul and Dual Sheath Redux settings trying to fix it, but maybe they're not even the problem.

8 answers to this question

I can't imagine it's SkyUI.  I've been using SkyUI ever since I downloaded Skyrim, even this SkyUI version specifically while I've been playing mostly unmodded to playtest a build.  But this problem is only happening when I'm using STEP.  Lots of mods here I've never used outside of STEP, and CCOR specifically has MCM options about protecting favorited gear, but I can't reliably use those MCM options to unmark my weaponry as quest items.

I've never seen this problem with CCOR or had it reported by anyone else.  CCOR only protects favorite items while at the Smelter, and shouldn't have any effect on them outside of that specific crafting menu.  For example, it won't protect favorite items from being sold or dropped.  It does this simply by adding a copy of the item to a hidden chest, so it really shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the actual item in your inventory, the favorite tag, the item's equipped state, or any quest flags.

Still, I'll review the script this evening and see if I can spot anything that could potentially be conflicting or interfering with another mod and causing this sort of behavior.  If there are any more details you could provide, it might help narrow the problem down.  Is there any pattern to the times and/or situations in which this problem occurs?  Are you just favoriting the item or adding it to SkyUI's favorite groups?  Does the problem happen with vanilla items or specific mod-added items?

It's with vanilla items, so far mostly happening with weapons.  I'm adding them as favorites the normal vanilla way, using 'F' in the inventory, not using SkyUI's favorite groups at all.

The main problem with pinning down the culprit for this problem is that it only happens intermittently.  I have to play for a while just to reliably reproduce it, and then I can't figure out a set way to fix the item.  I just kind of fiddle until it stops being broken. :confused:

Hmm, this go around it was unusually easy to trigger, and it is indeed because I forgot to disable Jaxonz Protect Favorites!  Good call.  I've still been getting the issue much less frequently since I "STEPped" up to Extended from Core.  Can't remember for sure if the items dropping out of my inventory entirely is exclusive to times I've had Jaxonz Utilities installed or not, though.