Should MemoryBlockLog's log file column headers match the Heap settings in SKSE?

vile83r

Question

I have set the heap in SKSE.ini to the recommended 768 and 256.

When I check logs from MemoryBlockLog the headers for the columns are both 256.I am expecting it say 768 and 256. Am I wrong in that thinking? SKSE log shows that it is set to override memory as well.

The attached screenshot show a visual of what I am trying to ask but feel like I'm failing to describe clearly.

Thanks for helping.

If the memory patch is not working, try adding -forcesteamloader to the SKSE command line in the executables.

For the suggested settings in SRLE (i.e. 768/256) the memory blocks log should show 512 256. (Don't ask me why, that is just the way they decided to code it up for block 1)

You have the ini nested in two skse folders.

Even though you have 768/256, the effective value would be 512/256 respectively

Actually, I don't think the two nested folders is the problem. vile83r has skse.ini in an SKSE folder, inside a mod named SKSE. All correct, just a little confusing because the mod name is SKSE.

I wonder, do you have Sheson's memory patch installed another way? Perhaps SSME? There must be something overwriting the skse.ini further down the list (higher priority order).

Yes, in ModOrganizer I named the mod SKSE so that is why it appears like that.I have changed it to Skyrim Script Extender. I did have Safety Load in the load order after SKSE when I measured and posted my original post.

My mods are everything in Skyrim Revisited exactly. Safety Mod was the only additional mod I tried that wasn't part of SRLE.

The Safety Load mod is no longer in my order and I am back to Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition as it was listed on January 12th.

The results are the same however. MemoryBlockLog is not matching my settings in SKSE.

I should add that I am getting an ILS right after sleeping in the bed to activate my chosen Alternate Start and Ive tried a few different choices to see if it would make a difference. Soon as I sleep in the bed the loading screen pops up and its always the dragon perched on the stone base. I've watched that dragon slowly spin and zoom in and out so many times I have dreams about.

Just a heads up. The header values do not necessarily have to match those set by the SKSE.ini, if mine are anything to go by.

My SKSE.ini has the first block at 768 yet the log shows only 512.

Changing that initial value to 1024 results in the header showing 768.

Clearly the header shows the next step down from that which is entered.

Definitely, I agree that is the expected outcome, Grant. It is weird and unnecessarily confusing, but what can you do? :-P

Just to summarize the screenshot, as it is small and hard to see:

• skse.ini is in a valid location in MO. First block is set to 768, Second block is set to 256.
  • Memory blocks log shows the first block is set to 256, and the second block is also set to 256
  • Last line on log shows first block overflow (as expected with this setting) at 256

It might be worth checking your data directory to see if there is another skse.ini in there somehow.

Edit: Clarity

I appreciate everyone's help. I tried the suggestions everyone put forward and unfortunately none solved the issue.

I did come up with a solution or perhaps "workaround" is a better term since it strays away from Neovalen's guide just for this one issue. I was doing a lot of searching the net for possible hints to what was happening and it didn't yield much direct help but it did indirectly. The thing that popped up most often was how SKSE now supports memory allocation and I started to think back to how we handled memory issues and such before SKSE supported it because I have been playing this game since day 1 and I try to stop but it pulls me back and of course there are so many new things when I come back.

So what I ended up trying was, aI removed the MEMORY section of the SKSE.ini and then used one of the old school methods, the Skyrim System Memory Editor mod.

I launched the game through MO and it fired up and I picked the vanilla start from the Alternate Start shrine, slept in the bed and up popped Alduin as usually on the loading screen but he was only there for a couple seconds before the game started. I went through and tried some more choices from Alternate Start and they all fired right up.

Another great result was the log from Memoryblocklog showed a 568/256 column header.

I'm still bothered by the fact the SKSE.ini method isn't working. I plan to comb back through the mods for any possible setting that could be overwriting SKSE.ini but, I followed Neovalen's guide to the letter and have gone over and over it. I just don't see anything that could mess with that ini file.

So that's the update. As of now I'm at least getting past the ILS I was getting but its 5:35am here in Cincinnati and my eyes are burning tired so how it handles lengthy gameplay session will have to wait until later today after I sleep.

One more question: is this method a viable long-term method? Will I run into issues for some reason going this route?

I can't thank you all enough for helping.

Edited by vile83r

If you've already tried adding the -forcesteamloader argument to skse_loader.exe, you might search the ModOrganizer/mods folder to see if a duplicate skse.ini exists. I just remembered one user ran into a similar issue and and he eventually found one of the mods included skse.ini so the game was using the wrong one.

I got it to work with the -forcesteamloader argument! I thought I should try that method again since it was mentioned twice now so I removed the SSME and added the memory Settings back into SKSE.ini and added the argument in MO to SKSE and the log is reading as intended. I'm inclined to think I mispelled the argument or somehow messed it up if it works now and didn't the first time I tried.

I'm happy now. Thanks again.

One last remaining question. In the left lane of MO, MemoryBlockLog near the end right before SR Conflict Resolution. Is that an ideal spot?

That's usually where I put it when I'm testing. Once you're finished testing to verify you don't need to adjust the memory settings further, edit the ini in Memory Blocks Log to disable logging. It's an excellent tool, but you don't want to keep logging enabled when you don't need it.