Need help installing Memory Blocks Log

Tomack13

Question

Would someone be so kind to give some assistance in installing Memory Blocks Log?  I have watched the tutorials but have not found one pertaining to installation through MO.

Could it be as simple as installing just as you would a regular mod??

Edited by Tomack13

14 answers to this question

Sure thing.

Just click the "Download with manager" link on Nexus. When installing the mod, click the readme file and drag it into data (so you will be able to read it later if you want). Then right-click data and choose "set data directory". The dialogue window should say "Looks good". Click OK.

Make sure it is below SKSE in the left pane, make sure it is ticked, and you should be good to go! Check out the Nexus page or readme for instructions on what to do with the log.

I am glade you are the one answering my question.  As you can tell I am taking your lead in this.  Sounds like it will work great for me. Thanks for the insight. I did find, I think. one of the causes for my LIS issue.  I was thinking could my second instance of MO that I created have any part in this?  What I did was deleted that MO and low and behold no more LIS. 

I am still having what I feel are strange behaviors from between my profiles.  I do not understand if I have one mode running within one profile why it will not work in another.  This is happening so far in two profiles but not concerning the same mod.   This doesn't seen to be a situation that MBL will help with although I am probably wrong but I can not figure out what is causing this and what to do about it.  I tried un-ticking it ran the game then ticked it and no result.  Oh, The mod is Convenient Horses by the way.  Can you offer any thoughts on that one?  Meanwhile I will try to mess up installing MBL.  Thank You. 

I don't see how a second instance of MO would affect anything, unless both instances were in the same directory. But, then again, I have never "installed" two instances of MO for the same game before.

As I mentioned in your previous topic, ILS with one profile, there are certain things that are shared between profiles, and certain things that are not. If there are differences between profiles, it must be something that is not shared between them all (i.e. unique to each profile), such as:

• Enabled mods (mods ticked in left pane)
  • Priority order (MO left pane - akin to the order you would install mods in NMM)
  • Enabled plugins (plugins ticked in right pane)
  • Plugin load order (MO right pane - you should always use LOOT to sort your load order. As with any outside tool when using MO, it must be run through MO, using these instructions)
  • Enabled BSAs when they are loaded without plugins (Archive tab in right pane, for dummy plugins such as HighResTexturePacks, etc.)
  • Skyrim.ini / SkyrimPrefs.ini (if you made any .ini tweaks in one profile, then ran SkyrimLauncher.exe, the next profile you made would not have the tweaks)

It has naught to do with MO specifically, but I would always suggest using LOOT, and making a bashed patch. Also, I believe you were using FNIS, which is very important as well.

Any time your load order changes at all (add a mod, remove [i.e. untick] a mod, etc.) you need to re-run those steps. Always run LOOT first, then Bashed Patch, then FNIS. I'm not sure if you are using any other patcher mods or not (such as Dual Sheath Redux), you would need to re-run that as well. Re-run LOOT again at the end of it all, just before you create your new game.

Note that the output files from patchers such as the bashed patch or FNIS should be different if there are any differences between profiles. However, these "fake" mods (created from Overwrite after running said patchers) will be the same between profiles, just like every other mod. Therefore, if there are differences between profiles, you need to run the patchers again for each profile, and name it differently. I suggest naming each one based on the profile, for example: "Bashed Patch - profile XYZ". Then tick the one required in each profile.

For example, say you have two different profiles with different mods, ABC and XYZ.

For Profile ABC, the left pane may look like:

[...mods...]

[ticked] Bashed Patch - profile ABC

[un-ticked] Bashed Patch - profile XYZ

[ticked] Fore's New Idles in Skyrim

[ticked] FNIS - Output - profile ABC

[un-ticked] FNIS - Output - profile XYZ

If you re-run patchers for each profile, make sure the ones from the other profile are un-ticked before you run them. And make sure you run patchers in order...for example, when making a bashed patch, I would untick everything to do with FNIS, because FNIS should be ran after the bashed patch. Etc.

Regarding Convenient Horses...you mention you unticked the mod, ran the game, then ticked it and no result. I am unsure what you mean by "no result". Was it still active in your game? Were you creating a new game each time, or using the same save?

I noticed on the Convenient Horses Nexus page that it mentions: 

IMPORTANT: Before uninstalling the mod disable it via console (StopQuest CH) or scripts will remain in your save!

I strongly suggest never removing mods on the same save, unless they are just textures. I would always create a new game. Anything with scripts can wreak havoc if uninstalled midway through. Personally, I don't even add or update any mods in the same save, but I am a bit paranoid. ;-)

Lastly, regarding MBL...please be aware that just adding it in your game will do nothing by itself (except create the log). It is what you do with the information provided in the log that is important.

Also, when not "testing" with MBL, remember to untick it in MO. No need to use unnecessary resources if you don't need to!

I hope this helps you somewhat. I only really have experience with STEP, but I think a lot of the information STEP provides is useful elsewhere.

Anyway, good luck! :-)

Edit: Added more info.

Edited by Nebulous112

The situation with Convenient Horses, I think from my experience has and according to what I have been reading and the answers I have been getting, is rather strange.  Convenient horses is and has been working in five of the six profiles.  For some reason it refuses to work in the sixth profile.  No indication that it is there.  What I did was un-tick the mod uninstalled it.  Went into game and made a new save.  Reinstalled it in MO, tick the mod ran Sort and arranged load order.  Just for ***** and giggles ran FNIS, create AND TICK the FNIS OUTPUT mod and place it in order below FNIS.  After the third try at the top of the screen in game it shows that Convenient Horses is running through it's thing meaning it is installed.  I go through the entire list within characters inventory and can not find  Convenient Horses anywhere.  By the way I am running SkyUI if that makes any difference.  I then make a save and exit game and go back in game thinking that might trigger something BUT Convenient horses still does not show up in the character's inventory.  Also I have learned a long time ago not to make changes concerning mods when in the middle of a quest.  I also always try to make a new save before and after installing or uninstalling a mod.  I have another situation that could be similar but I refrain from bringing it up at this point in fear of complicating the thread.  I will wait until I have this one solved first.  Again  According to what I have read I have done everything correctly.

Edited by Tomack13

I usually use multiple instances of Mod Organizer instead of using multiple profiles these days, and it generally works well. One obvious disadvantage is the mod folders are stored in separate locations so it uses (a lot) more disk space. Profiles are nice initially, but it gets confusing because all mods from all profiles are smashed together in each profile.

I also checked the option in the Profiles dialog to manage saves so all my saves are stored in the profile folder instead of in My Documents. This makes it easier because you don't need to worry about all your saves being smashed into one folder together.

On your issue with Convenient Horses, have you verified that it's actually checked/enabled in both the left and right pane and the BSA is also checked in the Archives tab in the right pane? Just for giggles you might also try starting a new game to see if it appears in a new game. I'm wondering if something may have broken the mod in the save since you uninstalled and reinstalled it.

Answer to Greg,  My original thinking was exactly what you are suggesting about running separate instances of Mod Organizer instead of using profiles for the same reasons you mention and I had tried doing so but I ran into problems and couldn't seem to get it working.  I was fumbling over the issue of setting up SKSE.  When I started the new MO it automatically recognized the original SKSE setup for the first MO.  As I was saying I was fumbling over how to get it set up.  I had some of the same issues with that set up that I  am having with this one so I scraped the idea until I could get a better understanding of MO.  I had separate mod files separate download files with the second set up also.  I don't think with the size of my game at this point I have too much of an issue with disk space.  I do not mind the redundancies nor the effort if I could get it to work.  I do think using individual instances of Mod Organizer suits me better than profile but I think at this time I had better stay with this approach until I lean to operate the basics first.  Do you not agree? 

With Convenient Horses in mind I have done exactly as you have written.  I started a new game and that is how I discovered this problem with Convenient Horses.  I have six profiles at this time.  In five of those Convenient Horses works as it should.  It is in the new profile for the new game where Convenient Horses fails.  What I am going to do at this point is completely delete Convenient Horses from my computer and re-download it and see if that makes a difference.

In answer to Nebulous112.  I am sorry I should have been more specific when I spoke of Character's Inventory.  When I open the character's Magic and select Powers.  In Powers is where you select the controls and settings for Convenient Horses.  They are not there in this profile.  The first time you mount a horse Convenient horses runs a dialog in the upper right hand corner of the screen and it will take a few minutes as it loads everything in the game.  This occurs as I should in this profile.  It is when I go to powers I find Convenient Horses is not there.

Now frustration is setting in.  I Completely eliminated Convenient Horses from my computer as I said I was going to.  I then went in game and now all of my profiles are having the same problem.  Giving some thought to the situation I got thinking perhaps the problem in with SkyUI.  So I un-installed SkyUI from one of the profiles and I thought I had the problem solved.  Everything in Convenient Horses seemed to be working as it is supposed to.  NOT!!  After making all of the settings I went to make a save game and what do think happened?  CTD!

I think at this point what I need to do is trash everything MO, SKSE, FNIS and Everything Else..  START FROM THE BEGINNING.  It seems to me that I had to have made some stupid mistake or mistakes along the way.  Now that I have a better understanding of the workings of Mod Organizer perhaps the second time around will produce better results.  DOes anyone out there concur with my idea???? 

It couldn't hurt, Tomack. Maybe try this, first, in case some old mods are hiding in the data folder from your old mod manager, before you switched to MO...follow the steps I outlined for another user in this post.

Probably a good idea to do this anyway, if you want to start from scratch.

Edit: Also, if you do start from scratch, make sure you re-run SkyrimLauncher.exe after deleting the whole kit and caboodle (instructions here - the specific values are STEP related, but the general instructions are valid for anyone).

Also, if you are going to setup MO again from scratch, a good reference is here.

Edited by Nebulous112

What about all of the saves I have in game?  Could those be effected because of all the mishmash that I have done so far?  with over four thousand hours in Skyrim I hate thinking of starting all over but if it gives me a stable game I will do so.  I have had to start all over be fore Thanks to NMM.

Yeah, unfortunately, if you want a stable game, I would suggest not using any of your old saves. :-(

Also, just to plug STEP again...if you are tired of issues and just want a 100% stable game, I do suggest following the STEP guide.

Personally, I use the full STEP Extended list, with a few extra mods I know have absolutely zero compatibility issues thrown in.

Well I trust your opinion.  I think the best thing is to eliminate all of my characters and start a new.  Shortly after starting with MO I completely trashed NMM so I don't have that in my way now.  I did look at the link you suggested and it does make sense.  Thanks for the insight.  STEP IT IS.

I feel like a missionary! I have converted a non-believer. ;-)

If you end up running into any trouble with STEP (which you shouldn't, as long as you follow the text instructions - they are more up-to-date than the videos), you are already on the right forum.

https://forum.step-project.com/

STEP hosts the MO forum, but obviously also contains any and all support and info for STEP installations.

Good luck, and happy modding! :-)