help figuring out videomemorysize for enb

Scythiss

Question

So I have 32 gigs of ram and 6 gigs of vram and according to this

"RAM + VRAM - 2048 (1Gb=1024) if your RAM < 8Gb. If you have RAM bigger or equal to 8Gb (8192Mb) use
(Total Available Video/Graphics Memory - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)])."

my videomemorysize should be 36864 right?

Also when I use boris tool for it it says 4064mb surely that can't be right according to the formula.

8 answers to this question

With that much you can just use 8192... There will not be any difference going higher, but there might be if you go lower... however marginal. 

The limitation is still that dx9 does not really support values larger than 4Gb... so the excess is kinda just there working as a bit of extra buffer. 

The formulae you find are mainly for people who does not have those huge amounts of memory... and where some slight tweaking might be required.

As is explained in the guide:

To find Dedicated Video Memory and Total Available Graphics Memory in Windows 10:

1. Right-click the Desktop and click [Display Settings].
  2. In Display, click the [Advanced display settings] link.
  3. In Advanced Display Settings, click the [Display Adapter Properties] link.
  4. In the new window that opens, make sure the [Adapter] tab is the current tab.
  5. Under Adapter Information, Dedicated Video Memory and Total Available Graphics Memory are listed.

And then you substract 350 mb from the value that you find under total available graphics memory.

I have 8GB Ram and 2 GB Graphics Memory and I find the value 6083MB under Total available graphics memory.

Edited by werewulfking

Well the number is derived from my own testing with 4k textures... and somewhat supported by what I have read and heard over the years. 

Filling up 8Gb of active memory use... with more used as a buffer seems to be about as high as I can go before the game just becomes noticeable unstable anyways. (I have 16Gb of memory and 2Gb VRAM)

You will also notice rather long load times up to the point where infinite loading screens will start to happen... However if you manage to actually load a game it will be in memory and you can then do transitions ingame almost instantly...which is nice. 

Ofc. all of this depends on your mod list... the more mods you have that adds models and the higher resolution textures used... the more your mileage may wary. 

The main good thing about having 6Gb VRAM is that you will almost certainly not get any texture popin until you reach the above mentioned issues anyways... and at that point it is most likely the least of your list´s issues. :) 

But long story short.. I do not recall any examples where going higher than 8192 had any noticeable effects on stability or how much you could press the game further. Ofc. as new hardware comes out this might change.... when you are dealing with that large amounts of data, all components in the machine matters and not just memory and graphics card. 

Well the number is derived from my own testing with 4k textures... and somewhat supported by what I have read and heard over the years. 

Filling up 8Gb of active memory use... with more used as a buffer seems to be about as high as I can go before the game just becomes noticeable unstable anyways. (I have 16Gb of memory and 2Gb VRAM)

You will also notice rather long load times up to the point where infinite loading screens will start to happen... However if you manage to actually load a game it will be in memory and you can then do transitions ingame almost instantly...which is nice. 

Ofc. all of this depends on your mod list... the more mods you have that adds models and the higher resolution textures used... the more your mileage may wary. 

The main good thing about having 6Gb VRAM is that you will almost certainly not get any texture popin until you reach the above mentioned issues anyways... and at that point it is most likely the least of your list´s issues. :) 

But long story short.. I do not recall any examples where going higher than 8192 had any noticeable effects on stability or how much you could press the game further. Ofc. as new hardware comes out this might change.... when you are dealing with that large amounts of data, all components in the machine matters and not just memory and graphics card.

Haha thanks man.  and yeah currently i'm running 980 ti msi lightning(I have another but 2nd pci slot is broken on mobo), i7 3779k, and 32 gig ram right now.  My new mobo, i7 6700k, and 32 gigs of ddr4 ram should be here any day now. 

Also trying to configure my enb because only texture packs I am using are from realvsion enb + amiddian born weapons textures, and for some reason when using realvision in conjunction with etac I get 20 to 30 fps in towns even with my current hardware setup! and I feel this is totally off for my hard ware.