[WIP] Merge Plugins Standalone {PUBLIC BETA}

Mator

Question

Merge Plugins Standalone has been publicly released

To get the latest version (v2.1.1) you'll have to download from Nexus Mods. I'll be pushing the new version onto the backend in a few days (I just want to encourage people to download from the Nexus so they can endorse it).

This thread is now effectively closed.

Thanks,

- Mator

Edited by Mator
  • +1 1

Hey Mator,

Thanks for all the great work! I have a question about compiling the source code from GitHub. Is this the proper method:

Clone the repo from GitHub

Load the .dproj file from the "frontend" folder in Delphi

Select "build project"

Run the new mergeplugins.exe that is generated from the frontend folder (through MO of course!)

Is that correct or am I missing something? What is the purpose of the .dproj file in the backend folder? Do any libraries have to be loaded into Delphi first, or does the compiler find them automatically in the repo? Also, which branch is recommended (master or merge-plugins-10) or should they be merged in some way first?

I'm still learning how to use Delphi, and I want to make sure I'm not making some huge noob mistakes in trying to use the most current versions the merge plugins standalone.

Thanks again!

Hey Mator,

Thanks for all the great work! I have a question about compiling the source code from GitHub. Is this the proper method:

Clone the repo from GitHub

Load the .dproj file from the "frontend" folder in Delphi

Select "build project"

Run the new mergeplugins.exe that is generated from the frontend folder (through MO of course!)

Is that correct or am I missing something? What is the purpose of the .dproj file in the backend folder? Do any libraries have to be loaded into Delphi first, or does the compiler find them automatically in the repo? Also, which branch is recommended (master or merge-plugins-10) or should they be merged in some way first?

I'm still learning how to use Delphi, and I want to make sure I'm not making some huge noob mistakes in trying to use the most current versions the merge plugins standalone.

Thanks again!

Hi RafterMan,

- You can load either the .dproj file or the .dpr, either one will work.

- You can also use "compile project" or "run without debugging" or "run".  All will produce an executable, the run options will actually run the executable, and debug will allow you to use breakpoints in the IDE.  A shortcut for running the application in debug mode is pressing F9.

- The backend folder has a secondary "backend" application, this is an application that I'm running on a server, and is what people who run Merge Plugins connect to in order to submit reports, get program updates, and get dictionary updates.  It is a project that is completely separate from the frontend Merge Plugins project, but it shares some code with the frontend through the lib\mte folder.  You won't be able to run the backend application without certain dependencies, however (mysql 5.6, a properly installed libmysql.dll file, and a properly configured database as per the setup script).

- The project is set up so all required libraries are linked to the project file through relative paths ..\lib\.  You don't need to install any libraries or packages, it should just compile!  A lot of projects don't work like this, but I really like the simplicity of being able to clone + compile on any machine without additional setup.

- Master is a branch that targets Delphi XE, merge-plugins-10 targets the latest IDE from Embarcadero, Delphi 10 Seattle (or more generically, Rad Studio 10 Seattle).  If you're using Rad Studio 10, use the merge-plugins-10 branch, if you're using XE use the main branch.  Other versions may work with either branch (I have not tested other verisons), but I think versions XE5->10 will compile with the merge-plugins-10 branch, and versions XE->XE4 will work with the main branch.

Regards,

-Mator

Edited by Mator

Thank you! I love the new plugin selection menu at startup =)

Thanks!

I just updated it today.  My goal with it was to not JUST make a plugin selection screen, but to make a smart plugin selection screen.  I think I've done that fairly well, but we'll see what the users say.

I have three questions. I think I know the answer to two of them, but I thought I'd ask it just in case I'm wrong. 

1) Suppose I want to merge three complete mods. It seems simple enough - the utility will copy over and merge all the assets from all the mods into one combined mod along with the newly created .esp file. Afterwards, if I understand correctly, I can safely delete / disable the three original mods, because all the required assets will have been included in the merger. Is this generally a safe assumption?

2) If I want to merge .esp's that are all part of a larger mod (for instance, additional DLC patches or other options that are installed as a result of choices made during the larger mod's installation), can I safely move those .esp's into a separate folder and merge them by themselves (without any additional assets that might belong to them) so long as I leave those other assets enabled as a part of the original mod? Is this generally a safe assumption?

3) I know this may be bad form, but would it be possible to ignore mod master dependency when loading mods to merge, yet have the masters carry over into the merger? I tend to install by category. Sometimes, when working through a complicated installation, it would be really handy if I could, say, merge Vividian's presets and patches right away, before installing the mods they depend on, and yet still have that dependency intact. Understanding, of course, that if the merged .esp is active, the game won't run until those masters are eventually installed. I guess I'm asking if there's a technical reason why the masters have to be present in order to complete the merge, as long as the masters can be identified and added to the merged file. (I apologize if this is a stupid question. I just know it would streamline things for folks like me if I didn't have to wait until after mod #230 is installed before merging .esp's from mods #12 and #13. :o)

1) Suppose I want to merge three complete mods. It seems simple enough - the utility will copy over and merge all the assets from all the mods into one combined mod along with the newly created .esp file. Afterwards, if I understand correctly, I can safely delete / disable the three original mods, because all the required assets will have been included in the merger. Is this generally a safe assumption?

Yes, but if you ever need to rebuild that merge you'd have to re-download those mods (unless you kept the archives).

2) If I want to merge .esp's that are all part of a larger mod (for instance, additional DLC patches or other options that are installed as a result of choices made during the larger mod's installation), can I safely move those .esp's into a separate folder and merge them by themselves (without any additional assets that might belong to them) so long as I leave those other assets enabled as a part of the original mod? Is this generally a safe assumption?

Yes, so long as those ESPs don't have file-specific assets associated with them (unlikely for patches, but not impossible). An alternative approach could be to disable copy general assets when merging those ESPs.

3) I know this may be bad form, but would it be possible to ignore mod master dependency when loading mods to merge, yet have the masters carry over into the merger? I tend to install by category. Sometimes, when working through a complicated installation, it would be really handy if I could, say, merge Vividian's presets and patches right away, before installing the mods they depend on, and yet still have that dependency intact. Understanding, of course, that if the merged .esp is active, the game won't run until those masters are eventually installed. I guess I'm asking if there's a technical reason why the masters have to be present in order to complete the merge, as long as the masters can be identified and added to the merged file. (I apologize if this is a stupid question. I just know it would streamline things for folks like me if I didn't have to wait until after mod #230 is installed before merging .esp's from mods #12 and #13. :o)

No, you can't do that. Merge plugins runs off of the xEdit framework which requires all master files to exist.

Thank you for your reply!

Are we able to add new mods to an existing merge? Or is that something planned for down the road a bit?

I made an attempt to do so by selecting the .esp and "add to merge" selecting an existing merge from the list, and while it does show itself as part of the merge, it doesn't appear to rebuild the merge or copy any of the assets. It's easy enough to start over with the merge, but I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your reply!

Are we able to add new mods to an existing merge? Or is that something planned for down the road a bit?

I made an attempt to do so by selecting the .esp and "add to merge" selecting an existing merge from the list, and while it does show itself as part of the merge, it doesn't appear to rebuild the merge or copy any of the assets. It's easy enough to start over with the merge, but I doing something wrong?

Just click the build button to rebuild the merge.  :)

Should we keep old (unmerged) mods for future rebuilding this merge? Or this tool can simply add some new mod into existing merge? I.e., can we delete completely separate mods after testing new merged one?

Hmmm.... that doesn't seem to work for me.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

1) I have an existing merge named "~(Merged) 08 - Character Development" consisting of four mods: Viewable Faction Ranks, Living Takes Time, Smart Training - Tweaked, and Achieve That.

2) I later decided to add the "Take Notes - the Dragonborn Journal" mod to the merge.

3) I check TakeNotes.esp for errors, and it comes up clean.

4) I right-click on TakeNotes.esp, and select "Add to Merge..." and choose ~(Merged) 08 - Character Development from the list.

5) The main window of the tool shows TakeNotes.esp is now part of the merge (the 08 merge is listed in the under the merge column, when it wasn't before).

6) If I hover over the hammer icon, a tool tip says "There aren't any merges to rebuild or build"

7) If I click on the Merges tab, I see the merge at the bottom of the list. Selecting it shows the .esp's inside the merge in the right hand pane, and TakeNotes.esp is listed there, along with the other .esp's already inside the merge.

8) If I right-click on the merge, Rebuild Merge is grayed out. I have choices to Create New Merge, Edit Merge (which appears to let me rename it), Delete Merge, Plugins > Resolve Errors, or Open in Explorer.

9) Closing the program doesn't appear to do anything to the merge (I was thinking maybe the changes were saved on exit, like after a cleaning in TES5Edit, but nothing happens. Other than the program closing, of course).  

So... I'm pretty sure I've done something screwy here, but I don't know exactly what.

Should we keep old (unmerged) mods for future rebuilding this merge? Or this tool can simply add some new mod into existing merge? I.e., can we delete completely separate mods after testing new merged one?

You should definitely keep them.  The way the tool works is it completely rebuilds a merge from the source mods.  If you delete the source mods you will be unable to rebuild the merge.  You can, however, delete the source mods and then make a new merge that includes the merged plugin, but it's bad practice.  (and actually isn't possible the current public build, but will be possible when 2.1 is released here in the next few days).

Hmmm.... that doesn't seem to work for me.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

1) I have an existing merge named "~(Merged) 08 - Character Development" consisting of four mods: Viewable Faction Ranks, Living Takes Time, Smart Training - Tweaked, and Achieve That.

2) I later decided to add the "Take Notes - the Dragonborn Journal" mod to the merge.

3) I check TakeNotes.esp for errors, and it comes up clean.

4) I right-click on TakeNotes.esp, and select "Add to Merge..." and choose ~(Merged) 08 - Character Development from the list.

5) The main window of the tool shows TakeNotes.esp is now part of the merge (the 08 merge is listed in the under the merge column, when it wasn't before).

6) If I hover over the hammer icon, a tool tip says "There aren't any merges to rebuild or build"

7) If I click on the Merges tab, I see the merge at the bottom of the list. Selecting it shows the .esp's inside the merge in the right hand pane, and TakeNotes.esp is listed there, along with the other .esp's already inside the merge.

8) If I right-click on the merge, Rebuild Merge is grayed out. I have choices to Create New Merge, Edit Merge (which appears to let me rename it), Delete Merge, Plugins > Resolve Errors, or Open in Explorer.

9) Closing the program doesn't appear to do anything to the merge (I was thinking maybe the changes were saved on exit, like after a cleaning in TES5Edit, but nothing happens. Other than the program closing, of course).  

So... I'm pretty sure I've done something screwy here, but I don't know exactly what.

Right click the merge and click toggle rebuild status?

Just a guess, it should have automatically set it to the "Ready to be Rebuilt" status, but if not you can do it manually with the aforementioned "Toggle Rebuild Status" option.

Edited by Mator

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong. The Rebuild Status option is not available for me to select.

Here's the process (with pics!) that I'm following. The mod indicated is Block Steal Redux, and I'm attempting to add it to the already successful merge, "~(Merged) 08 - Character Development" (Note that the merge I'm using to demonstrate isn't one I actually want to do - according to the dictionary, it's not compatible - but the process and results were the same for Take Notes. Take Notes is part of the merge, because I redid the whole thing when I couldn't make the "add to merge" thing work.

The esp is called "PreventsAccidentalPickUp.esp.

1) Not in Merge

2) Adding to Merge

3) Added to Merge

4) Tool Tip - Nothing to Rebuild

5) PreventsAccidentalPickUp.esp Shown as Included

6) No Rebuid or Toggle Status Options.

This is exactly what happened when I tried to add TakeNotes to the existing merge, too. I ended up simply deleting the merge, restoring the original mods, and building the merge from scratch.

Thank you, by the way, for taking time to look at this and putting up with all the questions!

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong. The Rebuild Status option is not available for me to select.

Here's the process (with pics!) that I'm following. The mod indicated is Block Steal Redux, and I'm attempting to add it to the already successful merge, "~(Merged) 08 - Character Development" (Note that the merge I'm using to demonstrate isn't one I actually want to do - according to the dictionary, it's not compatible - but the process and results were the same for Take Notes. Take Notes is part of the merge, because I redid the whole thing when I couldn't make the "add to merge" thing work.

The esp is called "PreventsAccidentalPickUp.esp.

1) Not in Merge

2) Adding to Merge

3) Added to Merge

4) Tool Tip - Nothing to Rebuild

5) PreventsAccidentalPickUp.esp Shown as Included

6) No Rebuid or Toggle Status Options.

This is exactly what happened when I tried to add TakeNotes to the existing merge, too. I ended up simply deleting the merge, restoring the original mods, and building the merge from scratch.

Thank you, by the way, for taking time to look at this and putting up with all the questions!

You haven't loaded the plugins that are part of that merge, so Merge Plugins can't rebuild it.  As per PreventsAccidentalPickUp.esp Shown as Included

You should read the documentation section on Merge Statuses.

Also you shouldn't merge BlockStealRedux because it's been reported to not work in merges by two users with an average rating of 0.0 (as per Not in Merge).  Furthermore, one of the users in hishutup and he points out the ESP has a dll and will not merge correctly because of that.  (and he's a trusted source on these sorts of things).

-Mator

Edited by Mator

Thanks for the reminder about Block Steal Redux. As I mentioned in my post though, I never intended to merge it for the very reason you described - It was merely a convenient way to illustrate to you what I was experiencing and why I was confused.

I think I understand a little better. It just doesn't work the way I intuitively imagined it would.

I guess I thought the entire point of adding a mod to an existing merge meant that you didn't have to reload all of the original plugins / mods. In my mind, I thought the new mod was one mod, the existing merge was another mod, and all the assets required to join them together were already present. I was almost sure I'd done it that way with the script version (or maybe I've lost both of my remaining marbles).

So... since I need to reactivate all of the mods contained in the existing merge in order to add something to it, I'm fuzzy on exactly how that's any different than just starting over and building a new merge from scratch.

Either way, it's a great tool! And thanks again for your time.

[Edit] I meant to add that I originally did try to read the documentation by following the link at the opening post of this thread - but it didn't appear to lead anywhere, and the help menu within the program isn't quite ready yet. So I just sort of "winged it". It's a testament to the great design that I was able to get as far as I did! LOL

Edited by dstansberry