Typographic Help Needed

phazer11

Ok so without going into much detail things have been going real shittily for me lately (rather not say on the open forums for among other reasons it would distress some of my friends). So, anyways I'm in Advanced Typography for this semester and among other things I have a major project due (on top of the other work which overlaps). Now due to these issues I'm having trouble concentrating and applying myself and my ideas haven't been the best. I'm real worried I'm not going to get the project done on time and if I do it will tank my grade and scholarship. Among other reasons I have to pass this particular class as I would take this instructor for every class if I could.

If anyone works with Typography for a living and wouldn't mind helping me out (I'm unfortunately unable to give anything for your time due to above issues) but I could use someone as a sounding board and maybe for some examples. The instructor is trying to help but we only meet once a week and through email and there are 30-40 people in the class and she works 9-5 as a freelance designer (she gives comments on pdfs and usually responds fairly timely to emails) So once I actually have something I can email her but right now I don't really have much and I feel like I've been hitting my head on a brick wall for this project.

Anyone interested please PM me or pop in the IRC chat in my signature and I'll pop us into a private channel or something.

Can it be done in 3D? Typography extends a vast range. Maya has an awesome text tool, especially with 2016. Lay the text out onto a 3D stone slab and use the booleans function to carve it in. You can then render it with mental ray and print it out or something. If you have access to a 3D printer then I'm sure that will drop jaws.

I have half a lifetime of amateur XP in typography, but I can't fathom why this class would be that hard in terms of typography per se ... my guess is that coming up with content is the real challenge?

​

Can you explain what the tricky points are so that I can better understand what the issue is?

PM me if you want to discuss privately.

​

​

​

Sadly it's 2D Sparrow. As far as why it's hard it's the amount of other work in the class and the others I'm taking and the troubles I've been having recently. There are several required elements that have to be in each piece such as a specific logo, the type treatment, and a range of background images that can be screened. The design has to be applicable and consistent across a range of products Museum size roll up banners, a web banner, a book cover, brochure, bag, and on a box.

So you can't design it on a computer, and print it out? You have to do it by hand? Where are you taking the class? Ancient Egypt? I remember having to do something faffy like this as part of a full art course, which was incredibly annoying. I only turned up three times for the mandatory stuff and got B+ somehow. Your thing just sounds like that, but 10x more annoying.  

Edit: Okay Z, now I feel sad that I probably can't help if you are right. Phazer, I would speak to your tutor(s) ASAP if you haven't and explain your problems to them (both personal and study). Don't leave it, trust me. They might be willing to offer you an extension and/or further help. I went in hospital through one course and I missed 6 months. I came back to 'You probably aren't going to pass.' and I did 6 months work in one 1 month. I had a stress-related twitch for weeks above my ear afterwards, but I aced that course. If this is important, focus on it. Explain to every single teacher how important it is. They can't sympathize if they don't know what is going down. 

Edited by Guest

Sounds like he would be using Publisher or other software that has templates or accommodates custom templates for application to various media formats. The trick is incorporating the mandated elements and then the typography variants that make it work intelligibly for each format.

Now I see the issue. You need someone that not only knows typography basics, but actually publishes branded docs across various media formats and knows the technical tricks in doing so ... someone with XP. Seems more like a technical project (in learning to use publishing software and specialized printing formats) and less like traditional typography per se. (I am not your guy, obviously).

Applied Typography (401) sounds more like what the course should be named :/

.... you could pay for local professional services and limit your work to the general design (with assistance/advice of the service personnel).

IT's to be done in Illustrator, or InDesign CC. I know the tricks it's the constraints and ideas of how to tie it together that are eluding me.

As I said I can't pay for various reasons, many of said reasons include large sums of money, due to recent issues and idk how I'm going help to pay for it all Mom says I don't need to help with it but it's for my dad among other things. Last I heard she was trying to figure out where the money was going to come from.

I studied graphic design in college and worked as a typesetter for 10 years.  For the past eight years, my primary job has been freelance graphic design and vector illustration using Illustrator.  I've used InDesign and have it installed, but I'm much less familiar with it than I am with Illustrator (the place where I worked as a typesetter primarily used Quark).  I'm not great with logos or webdesign, and it's been quite awhile since I've had to deal with classwork.  That being said, if you think I can help as a sounding board, then I'd be happy to do what I can.  Feel free to email me at kryptopyr@gmail.com.