Configurator says Skyrim.ini and Skyrimperf.ini mixed up.

echo451

Question

For a given profile I delete the skyrim.ini an skyrimperf.ini files. I start the save via the launcher to regenerated the two files.

Once the two files have been generated I open up the configurator. I get the following MO console log.

Log file 

15:57:12 [D] Working directory: E:\MO
15:57:12 [D] MO at: E:\MO
15:57:12 [D] initializing core
15:57:12 [D] initialize plugins
15:57:12 [D] looking for plugins in E:\MO\plugins
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "bsaExtractor.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "checkFNIS.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "diagnoseBasic.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "gameFallout3.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "gameFalloutNV.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "gameOblivion.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "gameSkyrim.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "iniEditor.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "installerBAIN.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "installerBundle.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "installerFomod.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "installerManual.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "installerNCC.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "installerQuick.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "NMMImport.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "previewBase.dll"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "pyCfg.py"
15:57:12 [D] loaded plugin "proxyPython.dll"
15:57:13 [D] downloads after refresh: 880
15:57:13 [D] game path: D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
15:57:13 [D] managing game at D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
15:57:13 [D] setting up configured executables
15:57:13 [D] configured profile: STEP v2.2.9.1 Extended
15:57:13 [D] validating login cookies
15:57:13 [D] initializing tutorials
15:57:13 [D] loaded language en-US
15:57:13 [D] interface Ethernet 3 seems to be up (address: fe80::5c2f:9f7a:62b0:7c4a%6)
15:57:14 [D] displaying main window
15:57:14 [D] retrieving credentials
15:57:14 [D] E:\MO\profiles\STEP v2.2.9.1 Extended\modlist.txt saved
15:57:14 [D] user is premium
15:57:26 [D] sD3DDevice in wrong ini file (skyrim.ini, should be skyrimprefs.ini)
15:57:26 [D] iAdapter in wrong ini file (skyrimprefs.ini, should be skyrim.ini)
15:57:26 [D] iPresentInterval in wrong ini file (skyrimprefs.ini, should be skyrim.ini)
15:57:26 [D] iRadialBlurLevel in wrong ini file (skyrimprefs.ini, should be skyrim.ini)
15:57:26 [D] bDecals in wrong ini file (skyrimprefs.ini, should be skyrim.ini)
15:57:26 [D] bSkinnedDecals in wrong ini file (skyrimprefs.ini, should be skyrim.ini)
15:57:26 [D] uMaxSkinDecals in wrong ini file (skyrimprefs.ini, should be skyrim.ini)
15:57:26 [D] unknown ini setting uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor
15:57:26 [D] unexpected section BlurShaderHDR in skyrimprefs.ini
15:57:26 [D] unexpected section BlurShader in skyrimprefs.ini

Should I sort these to the correct file?

These are default INI files. Did they get messed up in the game install? I recently did a Steam integrity check and all is well.

From what I have read the location of some of these is important. If they are in the wrong file they will have no effect.

Steps used.

I am using the latest version of MO.

A default profile where I have removed the default skyrim.ini and skyrimperf.ini.

Run the launcher to regenerate the default files.

Open up the Configurator.

Added spoiler tag around log to reduce clutter.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INI

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:SkyrimPrefs_INI

Not the most pleasant lecture, but quite informative (if I'm not mistaken, we have DoubleYou to thanks for those). 

In short : Yes, some settings are put in the wrong ini file by default, and thus have no effect. So the game use the default value for that settings, as if it wasn't in the ini file. However, the setting do have an influence, but only if placed in the other file.

Note that some other settings are just complete pacebo and have no effects, no matter where you write them. Check each setting in the guide individually to know which one.

Thanks Kesta.

I am cleaning these up.

I have read some of the forum posts, but there are quite a few. I missed the section where the game was creating defaulting settings incorrectly. I wonder if a warning about this in the STEP guide might save some time.

MO is a great tool. When you use it correctly and actually read the console output. This small bit of advice is included in the guide. :^_^:

Results:

Moving the incorrect setting to their correct local broke something. Every time I access the ingame menu and exited the game would CTD.

My solution was to simply delete the setting in question and use configurator to set them.

Things look go. No warning and game seems stable. 

Edited by echo451

Thanks Kesta.

I am cleaning these up.

I have read some of the forum posts, but there are quite a few. I missed the section where the game was creating defaulting settings incorrectly. I wonder if a warning about this in the STEP guide might save some time.

MO is a great tool. When you use it correctly and actually read the console output. This small bit of advice is included in the guide. :^_^:  

You're already leaps and bounds ahead of most people, the majority of users can't even be bothered to read the wiki, or even see where it is, you're examining the console output! Bravo to you. :thumbsup:

Default INIs shouldn't cause the following however:

15:57:26 [D] sD3DDevice in wrong ini file (skyrim.ini, should be skyrimprefs.ini)

So I take it you erroneously added this value, or else MO has a bug in its INI detection, which is possible.

The following

15:57:26 [D] unknown ini setting uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor

is caused by the fact that not only is the setting in the wrong INI file, but it is also misspelled by default (uMaxSkinDecalPerActor and not uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor).

The rest is as explained in the console.

Default INIs shouldn't cause the following however:

So I take it you erroneously added this value, or else MO has a bug in its INI detection, which is possible.

Now that you mention it, I also have sD3DDevice set in my skyrim.ini, and got the same error from MO... and I never added this value there myself, it's the one generated by Skyrim during initialisation...

Edit : What I mean is, the value is also in my non-MO Skyrim.ini (the one in the Document\My Games\Skyrim folder), as well as in every Skyrim.ini from various MO profiles.

Edited by Kesta

Thanks for the feedback.

Everything in the above was from a default.

I did not add the "sD3DDevice = "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series" setting. The default files had this in the wrong location. So the game is putting this in.

Configurator add "sD3DDevice = "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series" to the correct file, and you get two sets. So nothing wrong with Configurator.  Unless you want it to correct mistaken entries. Like the above.

The entry "uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor" is incorrectly added by the game.

Configurator uses the same spelling "uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor".

I think a fix may be needed in MO's Configuration to correct the spelling.

Happy to help test a fix if you need the manpower.

*** I was posting this before Kesta's reply. *** 

LOL you folks are quick ::):

Edited by echo451

If I was a masochist, I would see what setting broke my game.

But given that there are innumerable ways to do this, it is very low on my priority list. 

All the chatter about the INI setting got me started on this. I blame all of you.  ::P:

Still it is really good stuff to know. I feel more like I am in control of the game. Till it veers off course.

The shadows that have been driving me crazy are in retreat. Without an ENB, I am liking how the game looks and my FPS are fantastic.

Maybe late at night when I can't sleep and the not knowing bugs me, I might track it down .... must know. Just a pain to do.

MO copies your INI files from My Games\Skyrim the first time you start it up and uses those same INIs on any new profiles you create. That's why it's in all your INIs. You must have added it when modifying your INIs sometime previously, as there is no way the game itself put that line in Skyrim.ini, unless an older version of the Skyrim Launcher used to do that (and I'm not going to test all the ins and outs of outdated Skyrim Launchers, as even the current one is quite messed up). The line will never affect your game in any way, as it does nothing and is unknown to the game.

I had a very similar reaction when I got it up and running like you have - definitely felt like I finally knew enough to have some control of things, plus it looked even better than I'd expected.

I still haven't gone for an ENB, which is how nice it looks to me (plus my own research into ENBs hasn't arrived at one I feel I "NEED" and my own aesthetic doesn't match those going fantasy - the saturation doesn't work for me).  I did give SweetFX a try on a whim as it looked a whole lot easier to do.  Even though the effects are extremely subtle (the tweaked preset I'm using), I'm really surprised at how much it actually does in terms of shadows and making things crisper.  You might consider this as an alternate course, echo.

Thanks n0mad23

My first adventures into ENB turned everything rather gray and lifeless.  "M - Light" I think. It may have been a bad install on my part.

Also tried "Skylight Vanilla". The large number of ENB makes it a daunting task to pick and choose. If the whole process is new to you it adds another level of complexity, as you are not quite sure you have it installed correctly.

I will give your suggestion a try. I now have an ENB manager installed. So the whole switching ENB's around is a lot easier.

In the balance, Gameplay vs Visuals, at this time gameplay wins. This is for me mostly expressed in FPS, a stable system and no strange game behavior.

One of the oddest thing I have done is gone from using "AutoSave Manager" Which is a fantastic mod with all the bells and whistles, to a simple one key save the game solution. The, and is is subjective on my part, number of crashes while saving seem to be rather high.

Yup - stability and decent fps is where it's at.  Figuring out where the line is between having "eye candy" (and if you can, why wouldn't you?) and a smooth playing game is the tricky part.  While I've got a laptop that's truly a Beast, I've had to come to grips with its limitations.  My GTX 970M is probably more the equivalent of the 600 series in terms of capabilities, and even with 6 gigs of VRAM and ENBoost that somehow overcomes some of both the game engine's and the 970's limitations, there are some things that push just a bit too hard.  SIMM was my biggest compromise.  It's just a bit too demanding of my machine and keeping 2 and 1k textures instead makes more sense for these eyes  and a 17 inch monitor.

STEP truly delivers a gorgeous and inherently stable (in terms of a modded game) experience.  Best resource community around.

• +1 1

Yes, SIMM is a bear sometimes.

I love Leaf Rest, a player home. But loading it and eye candy like JK for Riverwood and you take a beating FPS. It one of my test cases.

It uses SIMM and depending on where you stand can make cause a serious performance hit.

If I can run turn Riverwood and keep the FPS over 50 then I am happy. 

I will have to test with the lastest set of INI settings. 

SIMM is one of the FPS sinks.

Sykrim Floral Overhaul

This can also be a FPS sink. 3 different edition to choose from. The latest version has made tree rather more animated than in the vanilla game. Regular and Basic seem ok choice.

Skyrim HD 

Serious HD Retexture  

These can also eat up FPS depending on the version you install.

My Graphic card only 2G of VRAM. Normally I run at around 1600 MB of VRAM. It may be time to get a new graphic card with a little more ram.

AMD HD 7800 a few years old. A large tower so I can upgrade easily.  

Time are tight atm so ill have to add it to someone xmas list and see what happens. 

I agree with your statement.

My first build turned into a nightmare. I cherry picked a bunch of stuff. Sour cherries sadly.

Once I found STEP thing have only been improving. I was impressed enough with the STEP WIKI that I offer up my time for mod testing.

The whole Core and Extended steps have been a learning experience. You know that your target works. All you have to do is RTFM a few times and play around.

Once I got the hang of the forum and the wiki's and found that almost all of the staff are friendly and don't bite too often I was ready to pitch my tent here.

The information for everything I have every searched for is here. I just have/had to find it. Which can be tricky.

Usually, I would message one of the staff and by the time they got back to me with an answer I would have found it on the forum. 

Good thing they are patience.