can CTD's be caused from not enough vram?

Scythiss

Question

Can random CTD's becaused by not enough vram?  I have a gtx 980 which only has 4 gigs of vram, and I was using skyrim performance monitor and my game sometimes goes to 4.5 gigs of vram.  Can this be an issue? and if it is will a second 980 in my computer help? I really don't want to buy a 980 ti for the extra memmory but if I have to I will

7 answers to this question

if youre using ENBoost, no.

Adding another card actually causes issues with some thing like DOF, water ripples, and some other stuff.

That and skyrim has a difficult time maxing both cards, I found my two 6970s ran the same as one 6970 and is pretty close to my current 970

Issues related to CTD tend to be from errors in plugins, heap 1 overflowing, bad scripting practices.

if youre using ENBoost, no.

Adding another card actually causes issues with some thing like DOF, water ripples, and some other stuff.

That and skyrim has a difficult time maxing both cards, I found my two 6970s ran the same as one 6970 and is pretty close to my current 970

Issues related to CTD tend to be from errors in plugins, heap 1 overflowing, bad scripting practices.

well you just saved me from buying a 980ti for the extra 2 gigs lol.  With only the texture mods from the realvsion enb page and realvision installed my game still ctd's every so often.  Is that normal?  and an extra 980 wont increase performance what so ever? im getting like 30-40 fps and would like if I at least got 45 minimum.

my sys specs

gpu:980 gtx

cpu:i7 3770k

32 gig ram

You might consider running an extended test with Memory Blocks Log to reproduce the crash to see if the block 1 allocation is the cause. The reason I say this is because I was running with 768/256 and the first block was usually hovering right around 500MB and on occasion it would spike over 512MB and cause a crash.

You might consider running an extended test with Memory Blocks Log to reproduce the crash to see if the block 1 allocation is the cause. The reason I say this is because I was running with 768/256 and the first block was usually hovering right around 500MB and on occasion it would spike over 512MB and cause a crash.

will do.  Sadly I cant test this right now because the new version of MO's add exectuable is not working right now.  I will have to test when they fix it.

will do.  Sadly I cant test this right now because the new version of MO's add exectuable is not working right now.  I will have to test when they fix it.

Two options:

1. Revert to a previous version
  2. Make changes to ALL the fields in dialogue window and the saves are available