Was Skyrim Realistic Overhaul all that?

Thick8

Question

I've been looking at the changelog and it made me wonder if SRO was all that. I did a Bing Search and found several articles/blogs about SRO; all of them praising the author on his work. "A true artist" was in some of the reviews. Has the STEP team found a replacement of equal quality or are they having to find the next best thing? Just curious as I have SRO 1.6 and was considering using it. I plan on keeping this STEP itineration for some time and would like the best graphic quality that can be had with current MODs.

Thanks.

John

9 answers to this question

It took me so long to actually get a copy of SRO without using the torrent that I've been really hesitant to replace them with the current ones on STEP.   I really love what SRO does to the ambiance of my environment.  TechAngel85 - your endorsement here has just about convinced me to get over it and try the current ones instead.

SRO covers many textures that the current STEP compilation does not cover.  You *might* want to keep SRO installed so that it overwrites vanilla files, then have all of the current STEP mods with conflicts install on top of it.  That way you get more enhanced texture coverage than the current STEP... Of course, we don't officially support this method.  :)

A quick google search shows there's currently a copy available on Google Drive.  Versions 1.1, Dawnguard, and 1.6 update 2048k textures in three separate files.

I had to do a face palm after reading Kesta's comment.  I think I'll be setting up the newest STEP SRO replacements over this weekend.  Sweet.

I'm really liking the idea of doing my own compare and contrast.

Still, it's somehow it's comforting to know that it's still popping up for convenient downloads just in case....

The amount of fear about getting virus's torrenting is crazy. It's literally everywhere on the Nexus, and modding sites in general, I suspect mainly to scare away people from not using nexus. I've been using torrent since it was invented and only got virus's back in the heyday. I dont use an antivirus either. Never have. They are scams. Plenty of free security programs with free database updates against all known threats. Keep in mind 90% of threats...are either just adware or some serious code NOT aimed at everyday nerds like us. (esspecially via mod files) But I imagine back in the day a bunch of idiots uploaded a bunch of Skyrim mods to the torrent hubs and freaked everyone out with so called "viruses"

But for real people. Do not torrent a file if:

A: No seeders or just 1 seeder. (if there are less than ten check the profiles of the seeders, usually you can instantly notice cool people versus scammers)

B: Download your torrent to a flash drive with an encrypted partition! And NOT to you main drive! Great if you only torrent every once and a while.

C: Check the comments and torrent description. If its not safe there will be plenty of red flags to notice via comments and description.

D: NEVER torrent a file that has a one line crappy un-detailed description!

E: And finaly ALWAYS support whatever you are torrenting via buying LEGIT!

//For the record NO I do not torrent games\\

Just my 2 cents. And to be Honest. It's because of torrenting I even found out about the skyrim modding community. Back in the day all I did was play it on PS3. Being anti steam for years didnt help either.       >.<

• +1 1

Actually, I think it's smart to be concerned about viruses.  As far as torrent go, one decent way of checking to see if a torrent has a virus is to look at the comments for the torrent (granted the site that hosts the torrent has a comments section).  If there are a decent amount of comments from different people and no one mentions virus issues, or all virus issues are reported to be false positives, then I'd say it's good to get.  As far as getting viruses from the Nexus - it is a very real issue.  You don't even have to download anything.  Just flipping through mod pages I have many times been alerted by my virus protection software that it had blocked various trojans and backdoors.  I got tired of it, so I enabled "tracking protection" in my internet browser and that solved the problem.  Of course, it blocks certain videos that I want to see sometimes, but as long as the video has a link to youtube or some other legit website I can click the link to view it from there.