.NET issues / no FOMOD support

flang

Question

I installed Mod Organizer using the .exe installer, with all default options checked. When starting Mod Organizer, there is an error notification that .NET is not installed or out of date. However, when I click on the provided link to download .NET 4.0, the setup program will not proceed because "a current or newer version of .NET is already installed."

I originally planned to just ignore the error in MO, but I suspect that the MO plugin that requires .NET is not working, because when I try to activate mods like A Quality World Map with MO, the scripted installer for that mod doesn't run, and instead I get the error box in MO that says the base directory has no data files.

However, when I activate this same mod using Nexus Mod Manager (0.55.8), the scripted installer comes up and the mod is installed correctly.

I am running Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, with .NET version 4.5.2 installed and verified today using the built-in Repair option in the control panel. UAC is deactivated.

I have considered trying to uninstall .NET 4.5.2, then installing 4.0 instead, but I am worried this will cause problems with currently installed programs that may depend on 4.5.2 to function.

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Edited by flang

The only reason I can think of why the Control Panel didn't 'fix' it for you was you didn't restart your system afterward.

I checked a couple of times with the hand made registry edits and the Control Panel tool and the entries are the same. The only difference being using the Control Panel tool, Windows enforces a restart on you before assigning those entries.

The end result though is all you really need and if everything is fine now, all's good.

The only reason I can think of why the Control Panel didn't 'fix' it for you was you didn't restart your system afterward.

I checked a couple of times with the hand made registry edits and the Control Panel tool and the entries are the same. The only difference being using the Control Panel tool, Windows enforces a restart on you before assigning those entries.

The end result though is all you really need and if everything is fine now, all's good.

Of course it doesn't matter for me since it's now working, but if the MO or plugin developers are going to be attempting a fix, they should know that I definitely restarted my computer after enabling .NET 3.5 in the control panel, along with a fresh reinstall of MO. You can see this in my reply back on the Nexus comments.

So there must be some kind of difference between the two fixes somehow. I don't know what it is but it's just a piece of information for the developers if they plan on investigating this further.

For clarification, even though I have implemented DoubleYou's registry fix, if I go into the Windows Features menu right now, the two .NET 3.5 options available (Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation and Non-HTTP Activation) are still shown as disabled even after doing a fresh system restart. Yet MO is working correctly.

Edited by flang

Thanks for your input. Yes, of course all relevant information is vital with any support question.

After all this discussion though, I think it is clear that this isn't so much a software error, rather a missing installation requirement for "some" users. That isn't to say the blame resides with the user or the developer, just a statement of fact.

ALL Windows systems have the basic .NET system as part of the OS now and it only needs to be enabled for some users, or the 3.5 version needs to swapped out for version 4.0+.

You may recall I mentioned an issue I had with Microsoft's own installers refusing to see their own installed software. I re-examined those programs and it was indeed this sort of issue. The software was there but not enabled for that installer to see, though the functionality was there. That was frustrating to fix.

Yeah, this is not the first time I've had trouble with .NET either. I have more than once gotten caught in an infinite reboot cycle after running a .NET upgrade program that refused to continue because a newer version was already installed (but that didn't stop it from shutting down my computer without asking).

So regardless of any problem I have with any program, it's not at all difficult for me to lay the blame with Microsoft rather than the software developers.

Edited by flang